Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Brakh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brakh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brakh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brakh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brakh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brakh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brakh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brakh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brakh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brakh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brakh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Prior to Keto, I was eating around 2600 cals/day, balanced diet, no junk, low gi carbs when called for, etc. And I was losing weight very slowly, only about 7 lbs in a month and a half . I switched to Keto after (still same cals as previous diet), its been 3 weeks now (today) and I've lost 14 lbs, gone from 228 to 214. Keto is fine just the way it is, and as far as I'm concerned, I'm doing it right.

123456123 is not very well liked. (-100) 123456123 is not very well liked. (-100) 123456123 is not very well liked. (-100) 123456123 is not very well liked. (-100) 123456123 is not very well liked. (-100) 123456123 is not very well liked. (-100) 123456123 is not very well liked. (-100) 123456123 is not very well liked. (-100) 123456123 is not very well liked. (-100) 123456123 is not very well liked. (-100) 123456123 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Frankh1982 View Post
    I am really liking where you are going with this! I do belive this is true to a certain extent as for most of my life I have eaten as fatty foods as I have felt like eating and naturally did not drink or eat alot of refined sugars, and stayed pretty lean... Around 10-11%

I recently tried keto with a marginally higher calorie count, and seemed to baseline at the weight that I normally stick at (probably appropriate for my height) and at around 9% bf... But it wouldn't go below that with the excess calories... So I am assuming Cavemen were not RIPPED lol, and unfortunately the only way to get into the mid or low single number body fat% is to drop your calories lower then your intake...

But overall I think alot of people would benefit going to a maintenance or slightly above keto diet BEFORE they start dropping their calories to the extreme. If not for anything more then being able to stick with it a bit easier, and possibly seeing some fat loss results as well!
    ture?

bbrock293 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbrock293 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbrock293 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbrock293 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbrock293 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbrock293 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbrock293 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbrock293 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbrock293 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbrock293 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbrock293 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Brakh View Post
    Prior to Keto, I was eating around 2600 cals/day, balanced diet, no junk, low gi carbs when called for, etc. And I was losing weight very slowly, only about 7 lbs in a month and a half . I switched to Keto after (still same cals as previous diet), its been 3 weeks now (today) and I've lost 14 lbs, gone from 228 to 214. Keto is fine just the way it is, and as far as I'm concerned, I'm doing it right.
    Keep in mind that a lot of that is water but I also lose more on Leto as well.

kuriakee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kuriakee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kuriakee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kuriakee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kuriakee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kuriakee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kuriakee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kuriakee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kuriakee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kuriakee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kuriakee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Old thread resurrected

I'm no pro and would describe myself as a 40 something who's tried most things in life. I'm 6 months into a "refit" after falling into middle age by drinking way too much alcohol, smoking too much and generally throwing carbs down my neck at every given opportunity. I had heart surgery a few years ago and for a myriad of other reasons kicked my own bo**ox really hard at the beginning of this year and wised up. Stopped smoking, drinking way less and training hard. Tried middle distance running, longer distance, crossfit, HITT and ended up back on the bars. I love weight training and it's become a huge part of my life and the nutrition that comes with that. I was skinny-fat when I started this journey. I ripped up by dropping carbs and increasing my movement.....never once did I keep a tally on calories and guess what? I got ripped! I then set out to bulk up a little (not too much as I just want to be muscular and toned). I reached that goal a few weeks back.....well the "getting bigger bit"! My latest pic shows me around 2 weeks ago. A full 20lbs heavier than when I started in April this year. I need to shred and I started reading about Keto. All I can say is from experience (and after watching a few seminars from Taubs), I have found something incredible in Keto. The fat is vanishing day by day to the point where people were telling me (after just 10 days) that there was a marked difference. I'm consuming around 2800Kcal a day at 70/25/5 (5 carbs is often 2-3) which is 300 ABOVE my maintenance. I'm gaining muscle, strength and focus while losing fat. Keto is simple and good for you (with some simple supplementation for fiber and a multivit). My skin is markedly improved, my mood is buoyant and after mashing my legs yesterday at the gym I was still able to knock out 5k on the treadmill after hitting arms and shoulders today.

As I'm a noob I cannot post links so Google "Taubes - Why We Get Fat".

It WILL give you everything you need.

Blibble is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blibble is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blibble is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blibble is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blibble is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blibble is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blibble is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blibble is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blibble is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blibble is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blibble is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by XinApoK View Post
    okay lets look at history then...

Cavemen were hunter gatherers. they hunted what they COULD and they ate what they COULD. Not what they wanted. they ate wild plants (fruits/veges) and meat. They werent able to eat the way you are saying and basically constantly eat as your hunger sees fit. they ate what they could eat. I would be willing to put money on the fact that they were roughly around the calorie needs for the day. keep in mind that they also were constantly moving and working and being active, thus burning calories. so even if you are correct, they still had a method to burn them off other than dropping a hammer.

your logic is flawed.
    ^ This. I hardly think hunter gatherers had it so easy they could eat at a significant surplus.

Imagining all those cavemen on Myfitnesspal or Livestrong checking out how many g of mammoth leg they need to fill their macs has given me a chuckle. Thank you OP.

bruttafaccia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looks like this thread has been bumped after a while.

The perspective here is ... interesting. All this shouting about "counting calories" VERSUS "going keto", as if the two were mutually exclusive. Why not do both?

Background:
    I'm naturally 100% endomorph. I weighed north of 200lbs at twelve, and pushed 300 for a while in high school. (I'm 5'10".) I could put away 100 chicken mcnuggets without even thinking about it (and probably still can, though I know better now).

I'm now at my goal (77.7 kg, 7.7% bf -- lucky numbers). Been there for four years. I'm the living embodiment of the "studies" that everyone on this thread is calling for. I AM the studies.

*** Cliffs ***
    I'm pushing middle age. I eat what should be a caloric surplus, never do any cardio whatsoever, don't get enough sleep, and only lift twice a week. But I'm 7-8% body fat and in the best shape of my life. In the literal sense, not just in the cliché sense.

*** TL;DR ***
    My knee got pretty messed up five years ago in a motorcycle accident. Before that, I did cardio all the time. Running, rollerblading, you name it. And I was fat. The more cardio I did, the fatter I got.
    Later, I realized what the deal was: The only effect of cardio, for me, was to rev my carb cravings into overdrive. I'd burn N number of calories and become so ravenous that I'd take in 3N or 4N number of calories. Not good.

After the injury, I quit cardio completely. Zero cardio in the last five years.

I also cut out carbohydrates after the injury. Gradually. Normally "gradually" is not in my vocabulary, but I was afraid the injury wouldn't heal properly without all 3 macros. (In retrospect, that fear was probably unfounded, but bygones are bygones.)

I have 5 years of food diaries. Meticulous. I weighed absolutely everything that went into my body, to the nearest gram. I even included the calories in things like fish oil supplements. I dare any of the "scientific" studies to call or raise me on methodology.

Summary:
    * For a while, I ate about 150 grams of carbs on non-workout days, and 250-300 on workout days. (I was back doing weights, upper-body at least, less than a month after the crash.)
    I stabilized at about 190lbs. According to my food diary, I was eating an average of 2500 cal/day on non-workout days, and 3200 cal/day on workout days. With 2 workout days a week, that's an overall average of 2700 cal/day.
    Remember those numbers.
    190lbs, 2700 cal/day. About 15% bf.
    I was also STARVING. ALL. THE. TIME. I'd dream about food. I'd salivate at the mere thought of food, especially pasta and rice. During sex with my then-gf, now-wife, who is the most smoking hot little thing ever, I'd be fantasizing about food.

* Gradually weaned off carbs.
    Jesus helped me here a lot.
    To those of you here who are atheists (I've been there), you are missing one f**k of a tool for keeping your cravings in order. If you don't meditate, you're missing another one. That's all I'll say about that.

Fast forward to now.

* On non-workout days, I eat between 20 and 40 grams of total carbohydrates. About 10 grams come from the base material in my GNC Vitamin C supplements, of which I take 2000-4000mg a day for regularity. The other 10-30 grams comes from green vegetables and tomatoes (the former of which I just can't stand to eat without the latter. Italian to the core, I am.)

* On workout days, I eat 100-150 grams of total carbohydrates. Essentially zero before workout (at most 10 grams), essentially all of it within 1 hour afterward. Usually white rice. Sometimes dry Chocolate Cheerios (my lawd those are good). If I'm ungodly busy, which seems to happen a lot these days, a Met-rx Big 100 bar and some other miscellaneous stuff. And tomatoes+vegetables again.

I'm eating 20% MORE calories than I did when I was 20 pounds heavier.
    I am now eating a little more than 3000 cal/day on non-workout days. (Average macros: 160g fat, 330g protein, 25g carb.)
    On workout days, it's about 3700ish cal/day. (160g fat, 400g protein, 125g carb.)

Cardio? None.

Sleep? Ha, what does that word even mean, I forget. I have 2 small kids, a normal job, and a 50% role in leading a startup. I'm lucky to get 5 hours of sleep in a day. If I get 5.5, I feel like Marie Antoinette.

I fast for 21 hours of non-workout days, and 18 hours of workout days. (Eating 3000 calories of fat+protein in three hours is about as hard as breathing. The old inner fatty, he never quite dies.)

I've been at ~170 lbs, ~8% bf for the last three years straight.

To all the doubters: Where are those extra calories going?

Observations:
    * I have more restless energy than before. Way more. I'm probably fidgeting off 200 calories a day.
    * My body is not cold all the time, as it was when I ate more carbs. Some calories are undoubtedly going into fueling the proverbial furnace.
    * I was actually freaked out by the non-weight gain, given the huge increase in calories. So I had stool tests done. Excess nitrogen! TO THE HATERS: This means that I'm crapping out excess protein. I'm probably a bad person, for excreting nutrients that people in third-world countries badly need, but that is also "calories out". Take note.
    * Since weaning off carbs, I've never had the kind of insane hunger that I got from (a) cardio, or (b) being 4 hours out from a big high carb meal.

This is a controlled study. It's not done by someone with PhD after his name, but that doesn't make it any less scientific.

This may apply only to Mr. Bruttafaccia and no one else, who knows. But the evidence is in: On a low-carb diet, there are a LOT more kinds of "calories out" for the same "calories in". Especially if those calories are protein.

If I start to lose this fight, I'll come back onto this thread and redact the things I've said here.
    Until then ... The OP on this thread is right. His presentation is less than tactful, but he's on point.
    Carbs in trace amounts. Some grains after workouts, to keep muscle mass going strong. Other than that, fat, protein, more fat, and more protein. And Jesus when I'm thinking about the carbs.
    Win.

There's your "study". Goodnight folks.

Shelk87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shelk87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shelk87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shelk87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shelk87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shelk87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shelk87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shelk87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shelk87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shelk87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shelk87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bruttafaccia: That is an interesting read, and it's nice to hear that everything has worked out well for you. Looking at those numbers however, that does not look like a Keto diet but more of an Atkins diet.
    Reverse Dieting using DCA @ 3000cal. Up from a 1500cal stall.
    Current log with DCA macro program: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158018333&p=1157599983#post1157599983

My old Keto workout, meal, and progress log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153515121 *ended Oct 2013, to be continued

Always accepting feedback and suggestions. Always learning.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    "non-workout days. (Average macros: 160g fat, 330g protein, 25g carb.)
    On workout days, it's about 3700ish cal/day. (160g fat, 400g protein, 125g carb.)"

Those aren't Atkins numbers at all.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000)
    i must comment on this.

i eat pork rinds, butter, and paté
    handfulls of brazilnuts and walnuts
    egg yolks (raw) and little bit of fryed (white) bacon - can be considered as pork rinds...

maybe few olives here and there...

... also, i'm doing it with 24h fasting each day, so i eat only one meal per day... some days i have eating window 20/4 (warrior)

tons of calories.(90%fat). and losing weight like mad

i think it has something with hormone levels according to heavy cholesterol consumption
    everything is fine when you get up by nine
    -----------------------------------------
    today is Tuesday July 1st 2014.
    The weather forecast for Zagreb on Wednesday is sunny 80 degrees with a 100% chance of rock n rolling all night long.

Forever Musclebound aaaaaaaaaachooo's Avatar
    aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by RedeemerZG View Post
    i must comment on this.

i eat pork rinds, butter, and paté
    egg yolks (raw) and little bit of fryed (white) bacon - can be considered as pork rinds...

maybe few olives here and there...

... also, i'm doing it with 24h fasting each day, so i eat only one meal per day... some days i have eating window 20/4 (warrior)

tons of calories.(90%fat). and losing weight like mad

i think it has something with hormone levels according to heavy cholesterol consumption
    I wouldn't feel comfortable with one 3,000cal meal/day.
    230g Fat / 190g Protein ....in 1 meal?
    lmao, no thanks

Seeing great results without IF.
    505 / 315 / 545

Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by blorge View Post
    How about ALL OF EVOLUTIONARY HISTORY?

Oh no, sorry, that's not peer reviewed is it. Use common sense instead of relying on articles.
    Seriously?
    Common sense > education

mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by blorge View Post
    You're all doing keto wrong.

Intentionally eating less food when food is in abundance, and your hunger is telling you to EAT is naturally WRONG.

Provide your body with more than enough calories of fat and protein (obviously minimal carbs, throughout evolution we ran on a ketogenic diet, and insulin will **** up the mechanism) and your body will realise it won't NEED fat stores. Fat stores are not needed by the human body when it knows food is abundant. It will release fat stores, you will excrete calories.

Obviously no one is clever enough to have ever tried eating at a caloric surplus on a ketogenic diet (CUZ CALORIES IN CALORIES OUT DUHH). Well **** me not, calorie excretion is a REAL thing. Also ever noticed when you overeat fat on keto you get an increased energy buzz, feel warmer etc, but DONT gain weight? You think its a good idea to be consuming less than your body needs just because you want to look good? IIFYM IIFYM **** OFF.

In the famous words of Taubes: Insulin regulates fat stores, NOT the number of calories. But i'm wrong right?

Oh and there's me, eating 2 pots of almond butter each day along with my 3x 1500 calorie fry ups, losing weight like MAD. But I must be wrong, right? I'm lying, right? must be water weight, right? because my rep is low and CALORIES IN = CALORIES OUT. Name a caveman who counted calories...? (I do eat fibrous veg too, but this is irrelevant to the point i'm making on calories)

Try it. Or just carry on counting, your choice..
    I must say when I did Keto for the first time, the guy who introduced me to it told me when your hungry...eat. I was 220 and dropped down to 180 with noticeable visual differences. I did 0 cardio and mostly did heavy lifting. It makes sense IMO, especially if you have a higher activity level because the more your burning the more your body will want.

At the same time I will go back to the "everyone is different" and "you know your body best" so this might not work for some people. I wouldn't try to convince anyone to do it, but since it's worked for me before, it makes sense for me to do it again. (Just started up Keto again).

Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100)
    Gotta keep this going. Its too funny. Him vs the world. Common sense and 'JUST LOOK AT EVOLUTIONARY HISTORY' vs breaking it all down to a science backed by decades of research and real proof.

Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you also IF before ? if no ,maybe a part of result from IF ?
    Originally Posted by bruttafaccia View Post
    Looks like this thread has been bumped after a while.

The perspective here is ... interesting. All this shouting about "counting calories" VERSUS "going keto", as if the two were mutually exclusive. Why not do both?

Background:
    I'm naturally 100% endomorph. I weighed north of 200lbs at twelve, and pushed 300 for a while in high school. (I'm 5'10".) I could put away 100 chicken mcnuggets without even thinking about it (and probably still can, though I know better now).

I'm now at my goal (77.7 kg, 7.7% bf -- lucky numbers). Been there for four years. I'm the living embodiment of the "studies" that everyone on this thread is calling for. I AM the studies.

*** Cliffs ***
    I'm pushing middle age. I eat what should be a caloric surplus, never do any cardio whatsoever, don't get enough sleep, and only lift twice a week. But I'm 7-8% body fat and in the best shape of my life. In the literal sense, not just in the cliché sense.

*** TL;DR ***
    My knee got pretty messed up five years ago in a motorcycle accident. Before that, I did cardio all the time. Running, rollerblading, you name it. And I was fat. The more cardio I did, the fatter I got.
    Later, I realized what the deal was: The only effect of cardio, for me, was to rev my carb cravings into overdrive. I'd burn N number of calories and become so ravenous that I'd take in 3N or 4N number of calories. Not good.

After the injury, I quit cardio completely. Zero cardio in the last five years.

I also cut out carbohydrates after the injury. Gradually. Normally "gradually" is not in my vocabulary, but I was afraid the injury wouldn't heal properly without all 3 macros. (In retrospect, that fear was probably unfounded, but bygones are bygones.)

I have 5 years of food diaries. Meticulous. I weighed absolutely everything that went into my body, to the nearest gram. I even included the calories in things like fish oil supplements. I dare any of the "scientific" studies to call or raise me on methodology.

Summary:
    * For a while, I ate about 150 grams of carbs on non-workout days, and 250-300 on workout days. (I was back doing weights, upper-body at least, less than a month after the crash.)
    I stabilized at about 190lbs. According to my food diary, I was eating an average of 2500 cal/day on non-workout days, and 3200 cal/day on workout days. With 2 workout days a week, that's an overall average of 2700 cal/day.
    Remember those numbers.
    190lbs, 2700 cal/day. About 15% bf.
    I was also STARVING. ALL. THE. TIME. I'd dream about food. I'd salivate at the mere thought of food, especially pasta and rice. During sex with my then-gf, now-wife, who is the most smoking hot little thing ever, I'd be fantasizing about food.

* Gradually weaned off carbs.
    Jesus helped me here a lot.
    To those of you here who are atheists (I've been there), you are missing one f**k of a tool for keeping your cravings in order. If you don't meditate, you're missing another one. That's all I'll say about that.

Fast forward to now.

* On non-workout days, I eat between 20 and 40 grams of total carbohydrates. About 10 grams come from the base material in my GNC Vitamin C supplements, of which I take 2000-4000mg a day for regularity. The other 10-30 grams comes from green vegetables and tomatoes (the former of which I just can't stand to eat without the latter. Italian to the core, I am.)

* On workout days, I eat 100-150 grams of total carbohydrates. Essentially zero before workout (at most 10 grams), essentially all of it within 1 hour afterward. Usually white rice. Sometimes dry Chocolate Cheerios (my lawd those are good). If I'm ungodly busy, which seems to happen a lot these days, a Met-rx Big 100 bar and some other miscellaneous stuff. And tomatoes+vegetables again.

I'm eating 20% MORE calories than I did when I was 20 pounds heavier.
    I am now eating a little more than 3000 cal/day on non-workout days. (Average macros: 160g fat, 330g protein, 25g carb.)
    On workout days, it's about 3700ish cal/day. (160g fat, 400g protein, 125g carb.)

Cardio? None.

Sleep? Ha, what does that word even mean, I forget. I have 2 small kids, a normal job, and a 50% role in leading a startup. I'm lucky to get 5 hours of sleep in a day. If I get 5.5, I feel like Marie Antoinette.

I fast for 21 hours of non-workout days, and 18 hours of workout days. (Eating 3000 calories of fat+protein in three hours is about as hard as breathing. The old inner fatty, he never quite dies.)

I've been at ~170 lbs, ~8% bf for the last three years straight.

To all the doubters: Where are those extra calories going?

Observations:
    * I have more restless energy than before. Way more. I'm probably fidgeting off 200 calories a day.
    * My body is not cold all the time, as it was when I ate more carbs. Some calories are undoubtedly going into fueling the proverbial furnace.
    * I was actually freaked out by the non-weight gain, given the huge increase in calories. So I had stool tests done. Excess nitrogen! TO THE HATERS: This means that I'm crapping out excess protein. I'm probably a bad person, for excreting nutrients that people in third-world countries badly need, but that is also "calories out". Take note.
    * Since weaning off carbs, I've never had the kind of insane hunger that I got from (a) cardio, or (b) being 4 hours out from a big high carb meal.

This is a controlled study. It's not done by someone with PhD after his name, but that doesn't make it any less scientific.

This may apply only to Mr. Bruttafaccia and no one else, who knows. But the evidence is in: On a low-carb diet, there are a LOT more kinds of "calories out" for the same "calories in". Especially if those calories are protein.

If I start to lose this fight, I'll come back onto this thread and redact the things I've said here.
    Until then ... The OP on this thread is right. His presentation is less than tactful, but he's on point.
    Carbs in trace amounts. Some grains after workouts, to keep muscle mass going strong. Other than that, fat, protein, more fat, and more protein. And Jesus when I'm thinking about the carbs.
    Win.

There's your "study". Goodnight folks.

hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kuriakee View Post
    I'm no pro and would describe myself as a 40 something who's tried most things in life. I'm 6 months into a "refit" after falling into middle age by drinking way too much alcohol, smoking too much and generally throwing carbs down my neck at every given opportunity. I had heart surgery a few years ago and for a myriad of other reasons kicked my own bo**ox really hard at the beginning of this year and wised up. Stopped smoking, drinking way less and training hard. Tried middle distance running, longer distance, crossfit, HITT and ended up back on the bars. I love weight training and it's become a huge part of my life and the nutrition that comes with that. I was skinny-fat when I started this journey. I ripped up by dropping carbs and increasing my movement.....never once did I keep a tally on calories and guess what? I got ripped! I then set out to bulk up a little (not too much as I just want to be muscular and toned). I reached that goal a few weeks back.....well the "getting bigger bit"! My latest pic shows me around 2 weeks ago. A full 20lbs heavier than when I started in April this year. I need to shred and I started reading about Keto. All I can say is from experience (and after watching a few seminars from Taubs), I have found something incredible in Keto. The fat is vanishing day by day to the point where people were telling me (after just 10 days) that there was a marked difference. I'm consuming around 2800Kcal a day at 70/25/5 (5 carbs is often 2-3) which is 300 ABOVE my maintenance. I'm gaining muscle, strength and focus while losing fat. Keto is simple and good for you (with some simple supplementation for fiber and a multivit). My skin is markedly improved, my mood is buoyant and after mashing my legs yesterday at the gym I was still able to knock out 5k on the treadmill after hitting arms and shoulders today.

As I'm a noob I cannot post links so Google "Taubes - Why We Get Fat".

It WILL give you everything you need.
    I had similar success on KETO and find that calories just do not mean the same while extremely High Fat and Low Carb. I feel Insulin and Leptin control are the Key components. Insulin controls fat storage ultimately...

Calories count to a certain extent but just not as much when controlling Blood sugar and Insulin.
    It is universally well known, that in digesting our common food, there is created or produced in the bowels of human creatures, a great quantity of wind. That the permitting this air to escape and mix with the atmosphere, is usually offensive to the company, from the fetid smell that accompanies it. That all well-bred people therefore, to avoid giving such offence, forcibly restrain the efforts of nature to discharge that wind.
    Ben Franklin Essay about "Trouser Coughs" 1781-

ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    High fat, high protein here also. Eating between 5000-6000 kcals daily, maintaining a little under 10% body fat at 79kg bodyweight, was gaining on 2800kcals high carb high protein, go figure physics. I have to mention though 1/2 of my calories are coming from nuts if that makes any difference.

s0upking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's all cals in vs cals out. There's just lots of evidence that keto burns fat more efficiently and it is true in my case.. I also count my calories, eating 1800 calories a day. People might think this is too low but it's not. I meet my macros too.

OP is full of ****

hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000) hfce354 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by s0upking View Post
    It's all cals in vs cals out. There's just lots of evidence that keto burns fat more efficiently and it is true in my case.. I also count my calories, eating 1800 calories a day. People might think this is too low but it's not. I meet my macros too.

OP is full of ****
    Hormonal control, specifically LEPTIN control changes the calorie rules quite a bit.
    It is universally well known, that in digesting our common food, there is created or produced in the bowels of human creatures, a great quantity of wind. That the permitting this air to escape and mix with the atmosphere, is usually offensive to the company, from the fetid smell that accompanies it. That all well-bred people therefore, to avoid giving such offence, forcibly restrain the efforts of nature to discharge that wind.
    Ben Franklin Essay about "Trouser Coughs" 1781-

morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Tag to read when I have time.
    The above post may or may not be my personal opinion, views, or thoughts.

I need feminism because it reminds me there are women out there who are crazier than I am!

blorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) blorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) blorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) blorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) blorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) blorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) blorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) blorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) blorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) blorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) blorge will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Kinda proud that this thread is getting bumped 2 years on.. I just hope you nay sayers are speaking from the position of someone who has tried my theory rather than just speaking from what you've read / been taught .

necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ShoshoAndreev View Post
    High fat, high protein here also. Eating between 5000-6000 kcals daily, maintaining a little under 10% body fat at 79kg bodyweight, was gaining on 2800kcals high carb high protein, go figure physics. I have to mention though 1/2 of my calories are coming from nuts if that makes any difference.

I'd like to see sample of your daily intake if this is true.
    Delirious Mutant.

ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShoshoAndreev is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by necon76 View Post
    I'd like to see sample of your daily intake if this is true.
    Ye man sure. This is my log from 2 days ago since i don't really track food everyday. I have a pretty good general idea of what i am eating daily, since i am tracking from a long time now and i eat pretty much almost the same stuff with some variations. WARNING: I eat a lot of protein and i really really love all kinds of nuts LOL.

Late Breakfast around noon:
    5 whole eggs with 250g feta white cheese and 250g cherry tomatoes - 91p 9c 87f

Second meal:
    500g Quark mixed with some water to get that yogurt consistency + 300g mix of different berries ( they come frozen prepackaged ) ,20g Cocoa powder + a couple of tablespoons of stevia - 67p 45c 7f

Dinner:
    250g Salmon with 500g Vegetables ( also frozen prepackaged - carrots, peas, corn, green beans etc. ) 62p 39f 34c

+ some olive oil in which i cooked the eggs and the fish, i don't measure it, but let's say i used one tablespoon for each meal - 9-10g Fat

My daily snack:

walnuts 120g
    almonds 150g
    brazil nuts 150g

59p 22c 253f

At the end of the day i ended up with 279p 395f 110c = 5301kcal

I don't eat the same foods everyday, all is variable with the exception that i down at least 2-3 packs of nuts daily, brazil nuts being my all time favorites.

Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leo520 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    nearly 400 g FAT WTF
    Ye man sure. This is my log from 2 days ago since i don't really track food everyday. I have a pretty good general idea of what i am eating daily, since i am tracking from a long time now and i eat pretty much almost the same stuff with some variations. WARNING: I eat a lot of protein and i really really love all kinds of nuts LOL.

Second meal:
    500g Quark mixed with some water to get that yogurt consistency + 300g mix of different berries ( they come frozen prepackaged ) ,20g Cocoa powder + a couple of tablespoons of stevia - 67p 45c 7f

Dinner:
    250g Salmon with 500g Vegetables ( also frozen prepackaged - carrots, peas, corn, green beans etc. ) 62p 39f 34c

+ some olive oil in which i cooked the eggs and the fish, i don't measure it, but let's say i used one tablespoon for each meal - 9-10g Fat

My daily snack:

walnuts 120g
    almonds 150g
    brazil nuts 150g

59p 22c 253f

I don't eat the same foods everyday, all is variable with the exception that i down at least 2-3 packs of nuts daily, brazil nuts being my all time favorites.

RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000)

tons of calories.
    Eating between 5000-6000 kcal's daily

I have to mention though 1/2 of my calories are coming from nuts if that makes any difference.
    My daily snack:

walnuts 120g
    almonds 150g
    brazil nuts 150g
    i find out that overconsumption of nuts doesn't kick me out of ketosis...
    ...just can't stop eating them once i open the pack (150-200-250g)... and i open few packs

pecans, macadamias ... mmmm
    The weather forecast for Zagreb on Wednesday is sunny 80 degrees with a 100% chance of rock n rolling all night long.

i find out that overconsumption of nuts doesn't kick me out of ketosis...
    ...just can't stop eating them once i open the pack (150-200-250g)... and i open few packs

pecans, macadamias ... mmmm
    same i am addicted to this ... every time when i have nuts in my house i just can't stand it and have to eat them all no matter how full i am already, can almost compare it to smoking lol : )

same i am addicted to this ... every time when i have nuts in my house i just can't stand it and have to eat them all no matter how full i am already, can almost compare it to smoking lol : )
    my problem is that i cant eat same type of nuts.. i have to mix them (for flavour)... so i open few different packs... and combine them... and cannot stop until they are all gone.... also... don't know which nut flavour to save for last ...

uf, i have been to germany before few months, 17-pack of marlboro is about 6E ...
    ...here (kroatien) is about 3E...

morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000) morninglory81 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    my problem is that i cant eat same type of nuts.. i have to mix them (for flavour)... so i open few different packs... and combine them... and cannot stop until they are all gone.... also... don't know which nut flavour to save for last ...
    So many jokes....
    The above post may or may not be my personal opinion, views, or thoughts.

I need feminism because it reminds me there are women out there who are crazier than I am!

necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Second meal:

Dinner:

My daily snack:

walnuts 120g
    almonds 150g
    brazil nuts 150g

59p 22c 253f

Thanks for that.
    Delirious Mutant.

how much % of your BF when you eat a high carb&protein diet?

citylifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    interesting...
    I haven't read every post so this might have been bought up already..

but maybe... maybe

we do not all work exactly the same? or maybe different approaches work at different points in progress?

I've been keto for most of the last 10 months, started off eating crazy (fat) calories and while I didn't gain fat, loss was slow. In recent months I've shifted to a more counting calories approach and it seems to have a better effect on fat loss. In the last month I've started doing big carb refeeds on weekends and very restricted calories during the week, and this seems to be having the most effect on fat loss. But my feeling is that as bodyfat % comes down, if you don't watch your calories your losses will level off. but this can be easily disproven by guys who are eating high surplus calories and still reduce to below 10%. which comes back to my first remark... maybe certain techniques work better for certain body types.