90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Where's That Dōjō?

Welcome to my log, thanks for stopping by. Now most logs start off full of hope, optimism, and excitement. Not this one I’m afraid.

So, as some of you know I’ve been lurking around this forum for little while checking out journals and threads. My training has already started (Tuesday the 17th of December was my first session) and it has taken until a bad day at the gym to motivate me to get everything down on paper, so to speak.

The meat can come later, here’s what happened in the gym: I couldn’t squat what I could three days ago. There, that is what I’m miffed about. The weight in question is 87.5kg (193 pounds) and on Sunday it went up for 3 out of my 5 sets of 5. Today I expected to blast through the last two sets but my legs had other ideas. First set was rough, the second set I racked it after 4 reps. I wasn’t happy.

I think I needed to get that wrote down and it does look pretty ridiculous. Bad days will happen. I haven’t been doing this too long and I’ve worked up from 60kg 2 and a half months ago. I’ve added a stone onto my bodyweight – it is working. There could be actual reasons too, I’ve just switched from evening workouts to morning, maybe my diet and rest wasn’t right. I had an 11hr work shift on my feet yesterday too.

So as I say I’ll make this into a proper log soon but for now I don’t know, maybe some reassurances that there will be a tomorrow, and another squat day, would be nice. Over and out.

90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Right, gym day again. I'm pretty excited. Last chance to nail 87.5kg squats or the weight is going down. Considering how much I really want to squat 100kg I don't want to have to take a step back. Today is a chance to improve my woeful bench press too and keep improving on bent rows, both at 52.5kg. I've noticed a real improvement in my dips and pullups lately managing two sets of 10 for each. I'll try push that to 11 today.

So, that dojo. I am in the sports training section after all. There's a long story but I'll keep it brief. I have about two years of traditional ju-jitsu under my belt but I had to give it up 4/5 months back because of work getting in the way. I also wasn't feeling it anymore so it may have been a good time to take a break, I never envisioned 5 months out though. Part of the reason was me being the smallest guy at training and despite my (apparently) good technique I was getting out strengthed into stalemates. Hopefully with a bit more timber on me when I get back into the swing of things those stalemates will turn into wins not draws.

I'm following Stronglifts 5x5 which is two alternating workouts of squats; bench press; bent rows and squats; deadlift (1x5); military press with added dips and pull ups at the end. Nice and simple with the aim being to keep lifting more weight. I started over Christmas at 130 pounds and I now weight in at 143 pounds which considering I've been ill twice in that time seems pretty good to me.

I'm really feeling it today, no real aches but just generally tired. Not surprising really gym before work yesterday got home at 10pm, back up for an early shift at 4.30am. It's something I have to put up with in retail. Nice chilled afternoon watching the football now though - what some may call soccer! It's football.

I was pushed for time yesterday but it was a better time to go if I can get out of bed on a morning. I was however unlucky with the squat rack which rarely gets used being used by five people before I could get on. By that time I was clock watching and you could tell in my form. I managed four sets at 87.5kg but I saw enough progress for me to keep that weight next time. Bench press raised to 55kg, very pleasing. Bent rows stayed at 50kg, still not sure I'm pulling it high enough towards my ribs at this weight. Jumped on the dips for a quick 11 and then straight into 15 pull ups which felt good before I hot-footed it to work.

I have a couple of people noticing more size finally so my motivation has crept up a notch. Happy days.

Sunday again, everyone loves Sunday. Still got a game of football to play tonight so the Monday morning blues haven't kicked in yet.

The first warm day of the year (nearly 16 degrees C) felt lovely, bright blue skies and such. Really put an upper on the day and now I'm back from the gym. I'm on a bigger upper now!

Squats 5x5 at 87.5kg
    -These felt really good, I should have probably lowered it slightly but my warm up sets just felt tidy and nice so I tried again. All five sets completed and 90kg will be my target next time.

Deadlift 1x4 at 95kg
    -Another PB but I'm having difficulty with grip. I felt it slipping slightly and it shook my form.

Military Press 5x5 at 30kg
    -Again felt tidy and dare I say pretty easy. I even miscounted (not concentrating) on my fourth set and did too many reps.

Dips 11x2; Pull ups 11 x2
    -Bit of a struggle today it felt like I'd already blasted my arms earlier on. Still another PB. I should get used to PBs I think

Not too much progress today, I may be expecting too much.

Squats 3x5 at 90kg
    -First set felt good, second too were not so good caught myself not going to parallel!

Bent Rows 2x5 at 50kg
    -Worried about my form, went 45kg or the last three sets but it felt the same as 50.

Bench Press 4x5 at 57.5kg
    -Getting there.

Pull Ups 12x2; Dips 12,7
    -Meh.

Now I've wrote it down in this journal there are actually a lot of positives there. A note on the rows which appear to have gotten worse with the above, they haven't. Front facing it looked like my rows at 50kg were only partial but by doing a side view they were actually coming up to my chest, just a trick of the light/ angle. I am noticing now though that I'm not adding weight every session like I was doing, it's taking one or two more. But, for example of I made 3 sets today I am confident of making 4 next time so still progress.

In other news, more warm (ish) weather. Time to dust down my bike, pump the tyres and get a bit of cardio in!

Another morning session, another disaster.

Squats 1x5 at 90kg
    -second set form was shaky so I haven't included it.

Deadlift 1x3 at 95kg
    -Grip felt better, back didn't.

Military Press 1x5 at 35kg
    -Finished the last four sets at 30kg, a glimmer of progress.

Dips 1x5
    -Pathetic, felt some shoulder pain. Didn't risk it.

Barbell Curl 3x5 at 25kg
    -First time doing these, might be good to rotate with pull ups.

So there we have it, motivation is low, It's nearly time to head out to another late shift. Same tomorrow. Working Sunday too but will need to get a session in immediately before I play football. No ideal.. eff work.

These mornings, I just can't do them. I feel lethargic, I struggle to eat anything and it all adds up to a poor session. I feel like I'm stalling.

I trust everyone had a good St. Patrick's Day! I know I'm still recovering!

Well, I'm just starting a two week holiday from work and I must say I really needed this. It's also a great chance to get back on track eating and working out. My club is shut annoyingly so there will be no martial arts but I'll be getting out on the bike at some point for sure. I'm interested to see what squatting may have done for my cycling.

Sunday's workout:

Squats 3x5 at 90kg
    -Definitely stronger, felt good, but now I've failed to get 5 sets for a few sessions so I've to knock the weight down according to the program. However, I didn't do that at 87.5kg and managed to power through it so I'm undecided.

Bench 3x5 at 57.5kg
    -Really odd, I got 4x5 last time and really expected to get all 5 this time. I couldn't keep the bar straight and the plate on one side kept nudging the rack! Looks like just a technique issue?

Bent Rows 5x5 at 50kg
    -Again I think I'm cheating on this one a bit, bar sometimes heads south. De-Load and get form right, no point cheating myself.

Dips/ Pull Ups
    -Disaster, not sure what's happened here. I've gone from easily making two sets of 10+ to half that practically overnight.

Tine to get some good carbs in me, rid the last of this hangover and get my ass to the gym. Lots to work on. Edit: I've just noticed that these last 2/3 weeks have been pretty dismal. Hardly any weight added to either me or to the bars.

Picking up from my last sentence I decided to deload as the program says to and use my two week holiday from work to get my calorie intake back on track. In two weeks time I want add a pound a week to be ten and a half stone.

Squats 5x5 at 80kg
    -Good deep form.

Deadlift 1x5 at 85kg
    -Held the lift longer on warmup set and the real set to try to help my grip.

Military Press 3x5 at 35kg
    -Progress.

Dips 10x3
    -Most I've ever done.

barbell Curls 3x6 at 25kg
    -loving these.

A good, clean session. Bagged myself a gym buddy too starting Friday which should help with staying on track. I followed up the gym with a few beers going to see the following:

youtube.com/watch?v=LNBJSei0XV0

INTERPOL Live in Leeds!!!! All you Americans may have heard of them

I also consumed 3 double cheeseburgers that night , told you I was looking at my calorie intake!

PS. how do I add youtube vids?

Back at it and I've surprisingly had a good workout before midday. That will help mentally at least.

Squats 5x5 at 85kg
    -Very straight forward , even did an extra rep on the last set. Feeling good about 90kg now.

Bench Press 3x5 at 57.5kg
    -Still not happy with my bench , grip, positioning, general strength. All poor.

Bent Row 5x5 at 45kg
    -Still looking at form but I'm happy now. Back to 50 next time.

Dips 12,6
    Pullups 12,7

-Meh. Arms feel beasted though

Rest, recovery, food and Netflix. Cya.

This is starting to feel really good now. Loving going to the gym and constantly thinking about it.

Squats 5x5 at 87.5kg
    -Straightforward, felt like great form. Back at 90 next time and it should be doable.

Deadlift 1x5 at 90kg
    -Still losing the grip slightly, makes for a second or two rest between reps as I re-grip the bar. Not great. and I'm not sure how much that will harm gains.

Military Press 5x5 at 35kg
    -More progress.

Dips/ Pullups
    - I'm going to lump these together as it's the only real area that I'm not happy with. Sometimes I can do two sets of ten easily of each, next time half that. Makes no sense to me.

I'm starting to crave some Ju Jitsu, but that may just be because I know I can't go as it's shut. Like I hardly ever eat chocolate but if I started cutting I'd want some. I'm also at a bit of a crossroads as I wouldn't want to hamper the gains i'm making in the gym. The accessory work to martial arts may have taken the top spot...

squats 5x5 at 90kg
    -Get in, come at me 100kg.

bench press 5/5/5/3/5 at 55kg
    -I want to know why my bench is so weak. My chest seems to be growing but it isn't getting stronger. The aim of the program is the opposite.

bent rows 5x5 at 48kg (24kg DB's)
    -Bit of a stuggle but completed

Dips 11,11,7
    -back feeling good..

Chin Ups 10,8,5
    -Struggle but improvement.

Mixed emotions really, my squat is really coming on but my bench press is lagging behind. In three months I've only added about 10kg to it...

Squats 5x5 at 92.5kg
    -Lovely.

Deadlift 90/95/75kg
    -Little more volume than normal, I'll explain. I warmed up with 75, then tried 90kg with a mixed grip. Easy so I added 5kg and did 5 more reps. last set was 'holds' double overhand grip just holding the bar at the top to try and improve my grip.

OHP 40/35/35/35/35kg
    -40 felt too heavy, struggled today. Lots of deadlifting though.

Dips 5
    -no go, knackered.

barbell curls 2x6 at 30kg
    -I do want bigger biceps.

Good session. Good news; I've now overheard a few people adding up their weights and counting the bars as 20kg instead of 15 like I do. If that's the case I can add 5kg to squats, deadlift and bench press. I hope so! Two plating here I come!!

Just as an aside, I really do feel champion.

100% cream crackered (knackered)! What a difference two days makes.

Positives and negatives today...

Squats 5x5 at 100kg
    -That feels bloody good. Two plates finally. Had it confirmed that they are indeed proper Olympic bars.

That's where the positives end...

Bench press 57.5/55/55/55/55kg
    -Unsure, if the squats bar is indeed 20kg then I can add 5 to the above, I hope I can!

bent rows 5x5 at 45kg
    -Really tired by this time, did extra reps though.

Back to work tomorrow

It's official, work sucks. Had two killer shifts this week but day off today so I got a session in. It means that I'll have to squeeze in two more in the evenings after work but I can live with that.

Squats 5x5 at 102.5kg
    -felt heavy.

Deadlift 1x5 at 100kg
    -mixed grip is really working. This is going to shoot up!

Military Press 5x5 at 30kg
    -Woah

Dips/ Pull Ups superset at 1,2,3,4,5 reps each
    -Feeling the burn, cheers Ichig!

A note on the military press.. Previously I was using the pre-made bars which go up in 5kgs. I found 40kg hard, struggled through the set and decided to switch to an Olympic bar to make 37.5kg. Little did I know that because the Oly bars are much wider it makes the lifts a whole lot harder.. probably stabilising stuff but my shoulders are burning!

Loving the 16stone squat at 10.5 stone!!

Tough week at work, really need the rest day today. Here's what I limped in with yesterday..

Squats 5/5/5/4/2 at 105kg
    -one positive. But I am shattered after squats these days.

bench press 5x5 at 55kg
    -Pathetic. Thinking of de-loading but my pride is already hurting.

Bent Row 5x5 at 45kg
    -work killed my back, surprised I managed so heavy..

As I mentioned, I've had a tough week with a lot of lifting and I finished work last night and went straight to the gym which isn't ideal. Still, that's no excuse for that bench press. Felt a little shoulder trouble on that third set too, I may still be ballsing form up on one of the easiest lifts.

I'm back!

Squats 5x5 at 90kg
    -tried not to kill myself, survived easily.

deadlift 1x5 at 100kg
    -felt a bit heavy but it went up nicely.#

OHP 5x5 at 30kg
    -nice and light

Dips 5
    -wut?

Pull ups 14

So, I dragged myself back into the gym. About bloomin time. Work has been a killer lately, just knackered after I finish so I took a little break. I've lost 3 pounds in my time off so my first aim is to get that back and work my lifts back up to what they were. Consciously deloading so as to not cause injury. What a wuss.

Time to catch up on people's logs!