Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50)

water weight on a bulk

hello,

i just started my first serious bulk ( 2 prior failed attempts), i want to keep it clean and slow and was thinking about water weight; how do you guys keep track of water weight/glycogen?

say im aiming for a .5 - 1lb per week gain, does this gain include water? or does the theory say that with a daily similar intake of carbs you would only see water weight spike at the beginning then it would stay a constant and the .5/1 lb would be rather, lineal.

example,

starting weight 161.5 lbs, ate 2700 cals and woke up at 162.8 lbs, now, maths state that the 1.3 lbs is not fat and we all know its not muscle, increased carbs also show and proof beyond a reazonable doubt that its water.

keeping this same 2700 intake with the same carbs (say the entire week is made up from the exact same food), if, in theory, i were to gain .5 lbs, should next weight be 163.3; or would water retention increase as well?

just trying to figure out how to keep track =)
    May what you do in life echoe in eternity. - Maximus Decimus Meridius, Gladiator.

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A change in water weight is common when initially bulking.

djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If I can tell that I am storing a good amount of water, I usually just go low carb for a couple days.

Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Balanis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
    If I can tell that I am storing a good amount of water, I usually just go low carb for a couple days.
    Atkins style? High fat low carb?
    May what you do in life echoe in eternity. - Maximus Decimus Meridius, Gladiator.

djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) djsaad1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Balanis View Post
    Atkins style? High fat low carb?
    You are going to have to make up your calories from somewhere, so yes higher protein and fats.

I usually eat close to 300g carbs, if I feel like I am holding a lot of water the next 2 or 3 days I eat at around 150g of carbs and just raise my protein and fats. I still eat the same amount of calories. There is no real benefit to this, I just do it so I can see my progress a little better. As soon as I start eating my normal 300g carbs my water weight rises again.

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Fluid retention occurs primarily in the early stages of a bulk then will taper off as your body adjusts to the calorie intake.

No biggie. All part of the game.

Some fluid retention is good...dont know why people shyt in their pants over it (not directed at you - OP)...makes you stronger in the gym. That's the point of bulking -gaining size and strength.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

wagarb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Weigh yourself once a week under the same conditions. If you are really that concerned with water weight (your on a bulk give yourself some ability to relax and been sane!), don't eat high sodium foods the night before you weigh your rself, stay hydrated the day before. Either wake up in the morning, take care of bodily functions and then weigh yourself. Only do it once a week. But really wieght fluctuates so much 5 pounds up and down. Just tell yourself everything is going to be fine. I know I went through the same mind game when I started bulking.

Just enjoy life!!! Better yet, don't measure what you are doing training and diet wise by weight all the time. Measure your strength, endurance and how you look and feel!!! This is a better indicator of overall health then simply water wieght!

Originally Posted by wagarb View Post
    Weigh yourself once a week under the same conditions. If you are really that concerned with water weight (your on a bulk give yourself some ability to relax and been sane!), don't eat high sodium foods the night before you weigh your rself, stay hydrated the day before. Either wake up in the morning, take care of bodily functions and then weigh yourself. Only do it once a week. But really wieght fluctuates so much 5 pounds up and down. Just tell yourself everything is going to be fine. I know I went through the same mind game when I started bulking.

Just enjoy life!!! Better yet, don't measure what you are doing training and diet wise by weight all the time. Measure your strength, endurance and how you look and feel!!! This is a better indicator of overall health then simply water wieght!
    ifs

Im happier more.relaxdd when i keep track of things, specially progress...its not an omg whats going on issue but more like how can i know.things are optimal / tweak things; i learned how to read the scale with a 1 year cut

And ty all.for all the answers,

Pbate, you are a monster... Ive always said it... You confirmed by theory of water weight having a "peak" =)

shawnxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawnxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawnxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawnxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawnxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawnxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawnxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawnxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawnxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawnxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) shawnxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You could experience some more retention at the beginning. Also, if you're taking a creatine supplement that isn't a pure monohydrate like cell-tech or something with a lot of sugar, they can make you retain some water because of all the sugar (so i've heard. I've only ever taken pure monohydrates so I haven't experienced much in terms of higher water retention).
    Check out my food blog for recipes, ideas, tips and more!
    http://www.shawncanblog.com/
    @shawncanblog

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Balanis View Post
    Pbate, you are a monster... Ive always said it... You confirmed by theory of water weight having a "peak" =)
    All good. Train hard, man.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE