psl03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how much cardio when cutting?

I am looking to cut and not too sure how much or how often to do cardio...i know diet is the 1st priority and i have that put together. I would like to do HIIT(20mins) after lifting but how many times a week is necessary. My workouts are monday thru friday, do i need to do some cardio following each workout?

BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Read the stickies.

Cardio isn't a must. It's diet that counts.

If you want to use cardio, do so when you feel like it. It is advisable to do it after lifting though and not before. Otherwise you won't have the strength to lift.

astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50) astigos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BloodySalad View Post
    Read the stickies.

Cardio isn't a must. It's diet that counts.

If you want to use cardio, do so when you feel like it. It is advisable to do it after lifting though and not before. Otherwise you won't have the strength to lift.
    Perfect answer.
    Some people just don't want to hear the simplicity of it all, because then there's no excuse when they fail.

ShaunJ1380 is just really nice. (+1000) ShaunJ1380 is just really nice. (+1000) ShaunJ1380 is just really nice. (+1000) ShaunJ1380 is just really nice. (+1000) ShaunJ1380 is just really nice. (+1000) ShaunJ1380 is just really nice. (+1000) ShaunJ1380 is just really nice. (+1000) ShaunJ1380 is just really nice. (+1000) ShaunJ1380 is just really nice. (+1000) ShaunJ1380 is just really nice. (+1000) ShaunJ1380 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm lifting heavy, eating a deficit of 500 calories, and I do prowler pushes for 20-30 minutes 3 times a week. It's working for me.

I have dropped from 202 to 198 in 4 weeks and I can see muscle I never knew I had. I'm not an expert. Just know what is working for me.

TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by psl03 View Post
    I am looking to cut and not too sure how much or how often to do cardio...i know diet is the 1st priority and i have that put together. I would like to do HIIT(20mins) after lifting but how many times a week is necessary. My workouts are monday thru friday, do i need to do some cardio following each workout?
    When trying to cut down , what are your thoughts on HIIT and LISS Cardio?

I can’t really stand either one, to tell you the truth. Cardio is grossly overrated, and is not an absolute necessity for everyone who wants to lean down. For the most part, a calorie deficit is a calorie deficit. Weight training can easily cause the cardiovascular adaptations that people seek through cardio, with the added benefit of supporting lean body mass & strength. I’m a strong proponent of doing the least amount of formal cardio as necessary to reach the goal, starting with zero.
    - Alan Aragon

"Strength is strength. Cardio is cardio. Don't mix, keep them separate, and use cardio sparingly on a diet or if your primary goal is strength and muscle gain.

If you're adding 2-3 sessions of HIIT to your 3 sessions of weights, it is almost comparable to adding 2-3 days of weights. Keyword is "almost", I'm obviously not drawing direct comparisons. That's all fine and dandy if you think working out 5-6 days/week is a good idea on a diet. But I don't think anyone - no matter what level of experience - needs more than 3 days a week in the gym when cutting. (Yes, this goes for competitors and beginners alike.)

In conclusion, if conditioning is not terribly important for you, if your goal is really about getting shredded while keeping your muscle, I highly suggest limiting moderate to high intensity cardio on a diet - or ditch it completely. Save it for some other time when your recovery is good and not limited by your diet.

A calorie deficit is a recovery deficit. Avoid deficit spending.
    - Martin Berkhan
    Aug of 2010 - 330 lbs <--- Never Forget

Yes i definetely do my lifting first, and yes i also have an eating deficit of about 500 calories as well. That is great to know cardio is not a huge factor, i think thats where i went wrong in my first time cutting a while back. I am not a big fan of cardio so this is great news to me! Thanks for the advice guys.

gpo613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gpo613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gpo613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gpo613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gpo613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gpo613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gpo613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gpo613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gpo613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gpo613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gpo613 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Like most have said it all depends on how much you eat.

lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Although, I keep hearing people say that cardio is not necessary when cutting, I have to say that I miss it. I have been cutting since January 1st, 2012. I completely stopped doing cardio. Last week I started doing HITT and it felt good! I tried both ways: before and after lifting and I liked more before lifting. I felt more energized and kept sweating throughout my training. I believe I will do it before lifting or in between muscle groups. If I leave it for last I will not do it. Just a girl's point of view.

TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Women can tolerate more cardio than men. Men its optional.. Women - its semi-optional.
    Aug of 2010 - 330 lbs <--- Never Forget

Originally Posted by TelusLob View Post
    Women can tolerate more cardio than men. Men its optional.. Women - its semi-optional.
    But there is also the other side of it...would you feel like lifting after some HIIT? I guess its just personal preference but id rather put most of my intensity/energy into a lifting session first.

rehughe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lift hard, eat right, screw cardio!

underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    IMO, cardio is great for overall health benefits and can aid in weight loss. That being said, there is no way I would sacrifice lifting for cardio and any cardio (including HIIT) should be done after lifting. If your able to lift directly after cardio, your not lifting heavy enough or your cardio session isn't really that intense. All my cardio is done on my non lift days. If you can't go all out on either cardio or lifting, why bother??

I plan on just doing light cardio a few times a week following my lifting and just do any adjustments from there.

cut4dayz is on a distinguished road. (+10) cut4dayz is on a distinguished road. (+10) cut4dayz is on a distinguished road. (+10) cut4dayz is on a distinguished road. (+10) cut4dayz is on a distinguished road. (+10) cut4dayz is on a distinguished road. (+10) cut4dayz is on a distinguished road. (+10) cut4dayz is on a distinguished road. (+10) cut4dayz is on a distinguished road. (+10) cut4dayz is on a distinguished road. (+10) cut4dayz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    for the purpose of losing fat, no you don't need cardio.

But i do cardio because i feel more active, well conditioned, more athletic.
    when you play sports with others, you'll feel the benefits.
    huehuehuehuehue

Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sounds daft but I prefer to build up a deficit by burning 500 cals through cardio and taking in 500 cals more food. I feel I am at least putting more nutrients into my body and it can decide what to do with them.

lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lssanchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by underpsi View Post
    IMO, cardio is great for overall health benefits and can aid in weight loss. That being said, there is no way I would sacrifice lifting for cardio and any cardio (including HIIT) should be done after lifting. If your able to lift directly after cardio, your not lifting heavy enough or your cardio session isn't really that intense. All my cardio is done on my non lift days. If you can't go all out on either cardio or lifting, why bother??
    I completely understand about not wanting to sacrify lifting power for cardio. I did 20 minutes of HITT on the treadmill before doing legs. I actually increased my weights on the squats and leg presses. I haven't been able to walk correctly since Saturday! But that is just me. I will not do HITT everytime I'm at the gym but only a couple of days a week. I had done HITT when I'm doing back. Do a couple of machines and then 15 mins of HITT and then go back to lifting. It was fine for me.
    We are all different and what might work for one doesn't necessarily work for the other. I will not recommend doing cardio for an hour and then trying to lift....you might just be able to lift yourself out of the gym to your car!

underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50) underpsi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Agreed, what works for me may not work for everyone. Just saying whether your lifting or doing cardio, go all out and get the most out of your time.

MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do LISS for 20-25 after lifting just to do it. I am keeping my calories higher this time around so I figure I would do some light cardio. Seems to be working out fine. I am losing 1.5 pounds a week roughly and strength is just about the same. Down about 9-10 pounds already, 14-15 including water weight.

I was 200 now 185

Bensomerville has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ShaunJ1380 View Post
    I'm lifting heavy, eating a deficit of 500 calories, and I do prowler pushes for 20-30 minutes 3 times a week. It's working for me.

I have dropped from 202 to 198 in 4 weeks and I can see muscle I never knew I had. I'm not an expert. Just know what is working for me.
    Hey what is your meal plan like?, I can't seem to get the dieting part right, thank you.

Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Bensomerville View Post
    Hey what is your meal plan like?, I can't seem to get the dieting part right, thank you.
    Read the stickies.
    "I think, therefore I am" - René Descartes

tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    diet wise I avg about 3-3.2k cals each day on my cut considering my weekends. I figure my maint is around 3200. I like to do a few days of easy walking first thing in AM with a goal of 250 cals burnt to give me my deficit. Sometimes post I do 10 mins medium intensity or a few hit sessions.

I find its allowing me to eat those extra cals that helps me a lot.
    Used to be fat, now just fat with a lot of muscle.

come check out my latest log: Layne Nortons Carbon line http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169447773

builtkunt123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rehughe View Post
    Lift hard, eat right, screw cardio!
    doesn't work for a mesomorph mate