cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10)

need a new routine

As far as background, I started lifting in May of last year. Screwed around for the first month, made typical mistakes like ignoring back and too many isos. After a month or so, I started lurking here, focused on compounds, started bulking. My goals are size over strength.

Tried HST for a few cycles. Can't say too much about the gains because I only really had visual estimates as I didn't have a scale for this period, but I didn't like only working at Max capacity once every two weeks, so I started doing a push/pull/off split, training to failure or just shy on everything.

Gains have slowed a lot during this, only adding five lbs to lifts every month. I'm also cutting now (down to 184, went from 167 to 190 over the last year, bodyfat stayed in the low to mid teens, I'm 6'1)

My diet is fine, but I'm thinking constantly working out at Max capacity is hindering gains and causing me to plateau sooner than I should.

I was thinking of going back to a full body routine. Thought about giving hst another shot, looked at allpros, and have been toying with the idea of going to a strength routine for a few months, even though size is my goal, to push past this plateau and get back to adding weight to the bar more frequently. I've looked at starting strength and stronglifts 5x5.

I don't know if starting strength would be the right move for me, though. I'd see big gains in squats, since well, I haven't been squatting. Work out in my apt, and I don't have the room or money for a rack. But as I've exceeded the weight capacity on my standard bench and bar, I'm looking to join a gym anyway. Aside from squats, though, I'd feel like my other lifts would stall quickly.

My lifts are:

10RM 185 bench and pendlay rows
    15 pullups bw+25 (this is after deads, bb and DB rows, so I don't know how heavy or how many I really could do)
    Deads, been working out with 265 as the bar wont take more than that, feels too light and like I could go a good bit heavier, but don't know my maximum capacity.

Any advice is appreciated.

cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuckfonformity is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bump

Forum moves fast.

musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Your logic seems sound. You're thinking through all of this with the right ideas. You've mentioned a couple of good routines that would have been recommended anyway.
    What's the question? Have you picked a goal yet (size routine or strength routine)? It will be hard for us to pick a routine for you since it is a personal choice. All we can do is recommend a few good ones for you to decide on. You've already done the research.

Originally Posted by musikguy72 View Post
    Your logic seems sound. You're thinking through all of this with the right ideas. You've mentioned a couple of good routines that would have been recommended anyway.
    What's the question? Have you picked a goal yet (size routine or strength routine)? It will be hard for us to pick a routine for you since it is a personal choice. All we can do is recommend a few good ones for you to decide on. You've already done the research.
    Ah, I suppose I didn't make my questions clear.

Most of the advice on here is for beginners, which is where I get confused. Squatting, I will be a complete noob, but my upper body compounds I feel are closer to an intermediate level, which leaves me wondering which routine may be the best choice.

As far as deciding between strength vs hypertrophy, while hypertrophy is my ultimate goal, I don't know if going on a strength routine for three to six months and going back to hypertrophy may be the best option in the long run to push past this plateau,or if I should just continue with hypertrophy and go to a routine that isn't built around going to failure every time and taxing my cns.

So, basically, size versus strength for the short term, and which level of difficulty since I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate, is where I'm having difficulty choosing.

musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by cuckfonformity View Post
    Ah, I suppose I didn't make my questions clear.

Most of the advice on here is for beginners, which is where I get confused. Squatting, I will be a complete noob, but my upper body compounds I feel are closer to an intermediate level, which leaves me wondering which routine may be the best choice.

As far as deciding between strength vs hypertrophy, while hypertrophy is my ultimate goal, I don't know if going on a strength routine for three to six months and going back to hypertrophy may be the best option in the long run to push past this plateau,or if I should just continue with hypertrophy and go to a routine that isn't built around going to failure every time and taxing my cns.

So, basically, size versus strength for the short term, and which level of difficulty since I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate, is where I'm having difficulty choosing.
    Well, the hypertrophy verses strength is an ongoing debate here and there are merits on both sides. That will def. have to be your choice. Why not do what some of us have done and run one then the other? That may help you get a little closer to helping you figure out what works best for you.
    As far as beginner verses intermediate: beginner basically means you have the recovery capacity (from not lifting heavy enough weights yet) to be able to handle the aggressive progression of that type of routine. Just run a good beginners routine and see if you can keep up with it. If you can, you will make some impressive gains. If not, it will become obvious in a matter of weeks. Then you can re-evaluate.

I guess I will give starting strength a shot for a little while then.

What if it goes as I expect, and stall on bench, rows, etc quickly and only see big gains in squats?

And is it advisable to do a strength program on a small cut? 3 weeks in, lean gains style, only going for another five or six before bulking again.

DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Feel free to check out my split! I have been doing it for some time now and really enjoy it! http://www.controlledlabs.com/static...p?contentid=29
    Darren Conroy
    Controlled Labs Sponsored Natural Athlete
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

FREE Controlled Labs SAMPLES
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149596763

Free Controlled Labs supps for your labels
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=117636651

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice