kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Sacroiliac Pain from Squats

Hi, after last week's leg workout I developed pain deep in the hips that is felt mainly when sitting for prolonged periods or by twisting the lower back. I narrowed down the location of the pain to the sacroiliac joint. It is felt on both sides of the sacrum. The pain is pretty much a 1 or 2 out of 10. It is also slowly improving.

At first I thought it was just glute medius/minimus soreness, because they are relatively untrained due to my poor squatting technique (I recently switched to a wider deeper squat to facilitate involvement of these muscles). I can now tell that it is a joint pain instead.

The crazy thing is that I deadlifted 300 lbs 6 times AFTER I started experiencing the pain, but the deadlifts didn't hurt the joint at all. How strange that such a load on the lower back did not aggravate it, yet plain old sitting and twisting aggravates it!

I've decided to not squat or leg press for a week and see if it improves.

My question is how long should I take off squats in total, and how can I rehab the minor pain? How severe could this issue be?

Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kanis999 View Post
    Hi, after last week's leg workout I developed pain deep in the hips that is felt mainly when sitting for prolonged periods or by twisting the lower back. I narrowed down the location of the pain to the sacroiliac joint. It is felt on both sides of the sacrum. The pain is pretty much a 1 or 2 out of 10. It is also slowly improving.

At first I thought it was just glute medius/minimus soreness, because they are relatively untrained due to my poor squatting technique (I recently switched to a wider deeper squat to facilitate involvement of these muscles). I can now tell that it is a joint pain instead.

The crazy thing is that I deadlifted 300 lbs 6 times AFTER I started experiencing the pain, but the deadlifts didn't hurt the joint at all. How strange that such a load on the lower back did not aggravate it, yet plain old sitting and twisting aggravates it!

I've decided to not squat or leg press for a week and see if it improves.

My question is how long should I take off squats in total, and how can I rehab the minor pain? How severe could this issue be?
    You can't ask that question, frankly. We don't live in your body. Listen to YOUR body and what YOUR body is telling you.

I'll give you an example:

I developed a little fatigue in my right knee when working out my legs. Every time I was on the leg press machine I pressed against it and felt this pain (on a scale of 1 - 10, it was like, 2). I stopped, readjusted myself, and the pain went away.

Furthermore, whenever I do biceps, I tend to develop this pain around the pain of my hand. This pain is telling my body to let go of the weight and give it a rest because I'm gripping on it way too hard. I drop the weight, make fists-balls with my hands, after about 5 seconds, I'm good to go again.

All in all, your body should tell you what you can and can't do, not us.

In terms to your question in general, it sounds like you strained something really. No biggie, but it will take a while to heal. Ice it down then apply heat packs after about 48 hours to the area, do some stretches, should improve in a week or two.