Lift2beLean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb Gain lean muscle and strength using Barbell + Dumbells (best workout?)

Finally created an account yesterday after a few years of lurking. I have been through quite a lot on material on this forum and it's kinda hard to decide what to try first. I would appreciate if I could get a few workout routine suggestions here for my goal of gaining lean muscle and strength ... nothing crazy, lol want to keep it relative to my height (5' 7") and maybe cut down on the weight initially from 160lb to 150lb. However, if I start gaining crazy amount of muscle 160lb(current weight) would be fine.

Hate deadlifts and squats but they seem to be the staple exercises of any given routine. It's kinda scary how much it can screw you if done badly (which I think is the problem with me as I can't get the right form). Anyhow, I ended up trying deadlift using low weight today and it wasn't all that bad ... 3 sets, 10 reps each of 85lb. I could have easily gone with 120ish or so to start with but I want to move up slowly to avoid any injury. Did squats 3 days ago @ 120lb ( can do the same bench ... 3 sets of 10 or so) This much should let you know where I stand atm and what would be best to move forward.

Equipment:
    Olympic sized barbell (w/ 300lb weights) + Bench w/ leg curls + Cage
    2 x 25lb barbell ... 2 dumbells w/ adjustable plate weights + some free vinyl weights plates
    Perfect pull up + perfect push up
    Treadmill

Today's workout:
    Deadlifts: 85lb (3 x 10)
    barbell rows: 55lb (3 x 10)
    bent over one arm dumbell row: 25lb (3 x 10)
    half mile run, some pull ups, some other crap exercises that I can't seem to remember atm

lol, drank water only before and after workout. No whey protein in hand currently but will start using it soon.

Anyway, please suggest me the best workout, exercise routine(s) possible and suitable for me and my desired goals (ie: lean muscle and strength ... cardio is without a doubt will be part of every single workout even if it's just a bit)

leedsalex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi, with the equipment listed you could do All Pro's beginner routine. Im just coming to the end of my 3rd cycle and have nothing but good things to say about it. im 5,8 and currently 140lb, have been using it to bulk up but if you read his thread he says it works equally well for people looking to cut fat.

Thanks, just looked at it and the FAQs thread for it, seems like something that'll do the job for me. Though, I am still going through other routines before I decide what to stick with for 4-6 weeks.

Please feel free to offer more suggestions and why you think what you suggest is better than the other.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Sounds like you have all the right equipment. All Pros is an excellent routine and you should be able to keep doing it until you are squatting 300lbs.

Just remember to eat enough to gain weight slowly (say 2lbs a month).

Alright, seems like All Pros it is for me then.

btw, I don't know if you read the OP carefully but I am not interested in gaining weight, let alone gaining 2lbs per month for a few; I'd rather lose some, so thinking about about sticking with ~2000 calories diet while performing this routine.