Drunkenpig has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I've just started bulking up and have a couple questions

I'm a skinny guy with some muscle with low body fat (sorry don't know how to figure it out exactly) basically I have a four pack, weighing at 141 and being 6 foot 1, looking to gain about 30 more pounds of muscle. Now I'll just tell you guys everything that I'm doing and maybe you can give me some tips on some things I've overlooked.

Workout plan:
    Mon - Shoulders - DB Presses, DB Side Laterals, Shrugs, Push ups, DB Lateral Raises (doing three different kinds as one count: Side, center and between the two if that makes sense) 3 sets/10 reps for everything starting at low weights so I can work on form and bump up the weights slowly.

Tues - Arms - Hammer Curl, Wrist Curl, Dumbbell Ulnar Deviation, Tricep Dips, Kickbacks, Incline DB Curls, Prone Incline Curls. 3 sets each/10 reps

Wed - Chest - DB Flies, Bench press, Decline DB Fly, Push ups. 4 sets each/10 reps

Thur - Rest

Fri - Abs and Back - Sit ups, Incline Twisting sit ups, V up, Plank, Side Plank, Bent over Row, Pullover. 2 sets each/10 reps except for the sit ups 25 each.

Sat - DB Calf Raises, Squats, DB Straight Leg Deadlift, Angled Calf Raises, Straight Down Lunges, Step ups, Split Squats. 2 sets each/10 reps

Sun - Rest

Now I'll be doing interval running about a mile long for 5 - 7 days a week before each strength training.

And my meal plan is:

Morning (7:30) - Yogurt, Oats (1/2 a cup), Water
    Post workout (12) - Protein Shake (has spoonful of peanut butter, a banana, 2 scoops of powder and almond milk), Carrot (Whole)

Break (2:15) - Sandwich (Turkey or tuna on a whole grain wheat bread), Granola bar, Water
    Lunch (4) - Steak, Veggies (Half a can of either green beans or corn), Water
    Late Lunch (6) - Fish, Rice (1/2 a cup), Water
    Dinner (10) - Chicken, Spinach (a fistful), Water

Now I'm trying to gain as much as I can in about three months because of the way my schedule is right now is PERFECT for me to eat and workout. In three months, I'll be working a 12 hour shift job as a welder and doubt I'd have the time to do everything I am doing right now. So is it possible to gain 30 pounds of muscle not fat in three months? Also is running as much as I am going to make it more difficult to gain? I'm trying to go for a lean look and not so much a weight lifter look which I know it's MUCH harder to cut while bulking. Any advice?
    Last edited by Drunkenpig; 03-05-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The best you can hope for is 2lbs on muscle in a month...and that's the best case senario. Dude eith at 171...your still gonna be skinny as fuk.

Do a real strength routine...yours sucks.
    OG

Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    The best you can hope for is 2lbs on muscle in a month...and that's the best case senario. Dude eith at 171...your still gonna be skinny as fuk.

Do a real strength routine...yours sucks.
    Hah alright can you give me a program?

loosifer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Stronglifts 5 x 5.
    A good strength routine like this is the best way to start out.
    Repetition is the mother of skill.

Originally Posted by loosifer View Post
    Stronglifts 5 x 5.
    A good strength routine like this is the best way to start out.
    Alright, Yeah I can see I have a bit too much going on with the workouts so it's good I checked on here before getting too far ahead. How are the 12 week bulking plans on here? Like the 12-week daily bulking trainer one on here (just a random one I found) but are they good?

NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    IMO everyones different so you have to test the waters with routines and see for yourself, but use a proven routine as a beginner looking to gain

whatever you decide, make sure it has the deadlift squat and bench press in it. hopefully rows, pullups, standing presses, and compound excercises

30 lbs in 3 months no way. thats a goal for a year. shoot for 10 lbs every 3 months and monitor the mirror and scale

Registered User Ripp3dLikeRamBo's Avatar
    Ripp3dLikeRamBo is not very helpful. (-500) Ripp3dLikeRamBo is not very helpful. (-500) Ripp3dLikeRamBo is not very helpful. (-500) Ripp3dLikeRamBo is not very helpful. (-500) Ripp3dLikeRamBo is not very helpful. (-500) Ripp3dLikeRamBo is not very helpful. (-500) Ripp3dLikeRamBo is not very helpful. (-500) Ripp3dLikeRamBo is not very helpful. (-500) Ripp3dLikeRamBo is not very helpful. (-500) Ripp3dLikeRamBo is not very helpful. (-500) Ripp3dLikeRamBo is not very helpful. (-500)
    Starting strength

Originally Posted by NDeeps27 View Post
    IMO everyones different so you have to test the waters with routines and see for yourself, but use a proven routine as a beginner looking to gain

whatever you decide, make sure it has the deadlift squat and bench press in it. hopefully rows, pullups, standing presses, and compound excercises

30 lbs in 3 months no way. thats a goal for a year. shoot for 10 lbs every 3 months and monitor the mirror and scale
    Ahh okay! I've done different workout routines for the past year or more off and on again. So far, it's been about five months since I've worked out. I always thought it was cause I never focused on form but it's much much better now. Then I wasn't eating enough and now I'm getting 6-7 meals a day in. I'll keep it simple then, reduce running to rest days and keep workouts to upper body days and lower body days rather than individual sections (shoulders, abs, arms ect.)

I figured 30 pounds in three months would be a stretch but I'm in no rush. 10 pounds is good!

New Plan.
    Mon - Incline Barbell Bench Press, Flat Barbell Bench Press, Dip, Barbell Pullover. 4 sets/reps 15, 8, 8, 6

Tue - Barbell Squats, Front Barbell Squat, Sumo Deadlift, Barbell Stiff-Legged Deadlift 4 sets/reps 15, 8, 8, 6

Wed - Cardio

Thurs - Barbell Military Press, Barbell Upright Row, Barbell Clean and Press 4 sets/reps 15, 8, 8, 6

Fri - Push ups, Bent-Over Barbell Row, Barbell Deadlift 4 sets/reps 15, 8, 8, 6

Sat and Sun - Rest

Keep the food all the same. Is that better to start off with?

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Drunkenpig View Post
    I'm a skinny guy with some muscle with low body fat (sorry don't know how to figure it out exactly) basically I have a four pack, weighing at 141 and being 6 foot 1, looking to gain about 30 more pounds of muscle. Now I'll just tell you guys everything that I'm doing and maybe you can give me some tips on some things I've overlooked.

Workout plan:
    Mon - Shoulders - DB Presses, DB Side Laterals, Shrugs, Push ups, DB Lateral Raises (doing three different kinds as one count: Side, center and between the two if that makes sense) 3 sets/10 reps for everything starting at low weights so I can work on form and bump up the weights slowly.

Tues - Arms - Hammer Curl, Wrist Curl, Dumbbell Ulnar Deviation, Tricep Dips, Kickbacks, Incline DB Curls, Prone Incline Curls. 3 sets each/10 reps

Wed - Chest - DB Flies, Bench press, Decline DB Fly, Push ups. 4 sets each/10 reps

Thur - Rest

Fri - Abs and Back - Sit ups, Incline Twisting sit ups, V up, Plank, Side Plank, Bent over Row, Pullover. 2 sets each/10 reps except for the sit ups 25 each.

Sat - DB Calf Raises, Squats, DB Straight Leg Deadlift, Angled Calf Raises, Straight Down Lunges, Step ups, Split Squats. 2 sets each/10 reps

Sun - Rest

Now I'll be doing interval running about a mile long for 5 - 7 days a week before each strength training.

And my meal plan is:

Morning (7:30) - Yogurt, Oats (1/2 a cup), Water
    Post workout (12) - Protein Shake (has spoonful of peanut butter, a banana, 2 scoops of powder and almond milk), Carrot (Whole)

Break (2:15) - Sandwich (Turkey or tuna on a whole grain wheat bread), Granola bar, Water
    Lunch (4) - Steak, Veggies (Half a can of either green beans or corn), Water
    Late Lunch (6) - Fish, Rice (1/2 a cup), Water
    Dinner (10) - Chicken, Spinach (a fistful), Water

Now I'm trying to gain as much as I can in about three months because of the way my schedule is right now is PERFECT for me to eat and workout. In three months, I'll be working a 12 hour shift job as a welder and doubt I'd have the time to do everything I am doing right now. So is it possible to gain 30 pounds of muscle not fat in three months? Also is running as much as I am going to make it more difficult to gain? I'm trying to go for a lean look and not so much a weight lifter look which I know it's MUCH harder to cut while bulking. Any advice?
    Where do I start?

Your "program" is based on mostly isolation exercises. A whole day devoted to arms!

Almond fckng milk!

You need plenty of natural saturated fats to help you make enough test, which is probably your problem. You must be getting your diet advice from magazines that are popular with women who want to get small or stay small. It sure is working for you!

To gain 30lbs is a doddle. Just overeat and don't train at all. You'll get fat.

To gain 30lbs of muscle, you must get VASTLY stronger for reps for big exercises for enough total volume. That will probably take more than a year, assuming you ditch your terrible program, and add some fat to your terrible low-test diet.

To cure the latter a good approach is to start eating whole eggs, and start drinking whole milk. You can start with a glass with a meal. By the time you are drinking a glass with every meal, you'll be getting somewhere. A spoon or two of real live plain yogurt daily will help you digest a lot of milk. Billions of baby mammals can't be wrong for a couple hundred million years. Milk was the "secret" pre-steroid. It will help you grow.

You seriously need a real program based on poundage progression(adding weight to the bar regularly) on big basic exercises........and eating a calorie surplus enough to sustain the strength and muscle gains as long as possible. See my sig, and the stickies.

Just in case you are wondering, I used to be smaller than you.

Lift well and prosper.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    New Plan.
    Mon - Incline Barbell Bench Press, Flat Barbell Bench Press, Dip, Barbell Pullover. 4 sets/reps 15, 8, 8, 6

Tue - Barbell Squats, Front Barbell Squat, Sumo Deadlift, Barbell Stiff-Legged Deadlift 4 sets/reps 15, 8, 8, 6

Wed - Cardio

Thurs - Barbell Military Press, Barbell Upright Row, Barbell Clean and Press 4 sets/reps 15, 8, 8, 6

Sat and Sun - Rest

Still sucks monkey nuts...

Listem, here's how simple this is...do STARTING STRENGTH, EAT a ****load of FOOD( whole eggs, whole milkm chicken, beef), REST...that's all you need to fukin know at this pont.
    OG

Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    Where do I start?

Your "program" is based on mostly isolation exercises. A whole day devoted to arms!

Almond fckng milk!

You need plenty of natural saturated fats to help you make enough test, which is probably your problem. You must be getting your diet advice from magazines that are popular with women who want to get small or stay small. It sure is working for you!

To gain 30lbs is a doddle. Just overeat and don't train at all. You'll get fat.

To gain 30lbs of muscle, you must get VASTLY stronger for reps for big exercises for enough total volume. That will probably take more than a year, assuming you ditch your terrible program, and add some fat to your terrible low-test diet.

To cure the latter a good approach is to start eating whole eggs, and start drinking whole milk. You can start with a glass with a meal. By the time you are drinking a glass with every meal, you'll be getting somewhere. A spoon or two of real live plain yogurt daily will help you digest a lot of milk. Billions of baby mammals can't be wrong for a couple hundred million years. Milk was the "secret" pre-steroid. It will help you grow.

You seriously need a real program based on poundage progression(adding weight to the bar regularly) on big basic exercises........and eating a calorie surplus enough to sustain the strength and muscle gains as long as possible. See my sig, and the stickies.

Just in case you are wondering, I used to be smaller than you.

Lift well and prosper.
    The almond milk is because my parents are ****ing hardcore vegans which sucks because I'm not. I don't have a job right now so there are some things I don't have the money to buy. As for the rest of the diet plan, I got it from on here. Some bulking plan not some magazine haha. If you look further down you'll see the new workout plan so is it good or look for something else? Mind you I only have a bench and dumbbells no barbell or pullup bar.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Alright, Yeah I can see I have a bit too much going on with the workouts so it's good I checked on here before getting too far ahead. How are the 12 week bulking plans on here? Like the 12-week daily bulking trainer one on here (just a random one I found) but are they good?
    You don't need a twelve week plan. You need a lifetime plan.

Do a real program, not just a random one you found. See my sig.

Ahh okay! I've done different workout routines for the past year or more off and on again. So far, it's been about five months since I've worked out. I always thought it was cause I never focused on form but it's much much better now. Then I wasn't eating enough and now I'm getting 6-7 meals a day in. I'll keep it simple then, reduce running to rest days and keep workouts to upper body days and lower body days rather than individual sections (shoulders, abs, arms ect.)

I figured 30 pounds in three months would be a stretch but I'm in no rush. 10 pounds is good!
    10lbs is good. Then another 10, then another, then.......

To get each ten pound muscle gain, you'll have to get much stronger for reps in big exercises.

New Plan.

Wed - Cardio

Sat and Sun - Rest

Better, because the original was so bad. You still need to drop anything you made up yourself, or just random stuff you found online. Do a real program, properly designed. See my sig.

The almond milk is because my parents are ****ing hardcore vegans which sucks because I'm not. I don't have a job right now so there are some things I don't have the money to buy. As for the rest of the diet plan, I got it from on here. Some bulking plan not some magazine haha. If you look further down you'll see the new workout plan so is it good or look for something else? Mind you I only have a bench and dumbbells no barbell or pullup bar.
    That sucks. But, though they may be off-the-scale wrong about what food a young man who wants to get big and strong needs, they still deserve some respect(nursed you when you were sick, diapers, sleepless nights etc).

Your new and improved program is based on barbell exercises. You don't have a barbell........

You can pick up a barbell and a hundreds of pounds of plates for cents on the dollar.......if you go secondhand. Same with a bomb-proof bench. You don't even need a bench:

Floor presses are safer, and you probably have a floor. Presses and push presses are the business.

Strong squat stands are cheap if secondhand. You don't even need squat stands to start:

Sumo deadlifts are more legs than back, like a squat.

Trap bars are now cheap. They allow you to do a trap bar deadlift, which is more of a squat than a dead. That is very safe, compared to squatting with a weight heavier than you are on your traps. They are also great for upright rows that are actually safe for your shoulders, and of course shrugs. They are often called shrug bars.

Plasterer's/Builder's trestles are dirt cheap secondhand. They act as portable power racks for totally safe squatting, benching, shrugs, goodmornings etc. I got TWO pairs, rated 2000lbs a pair(should do 'til I am getting strong). Total fifty bucks.

You can do bottom-up squats on the trestles, without any squat stands. Awesome.

My first chinning setup was a couple ropes looped over rafters in a garage. You've got to improvise.

Dumbells are best for accessory work to help your big basic barbell movements. Most people don't have dumbells that are heavy enough for their basic exercises at the core of their program......even if they are ol' codgers like me.

You can get a 300lb + Olympic barbell set anywhere. Hard to find dumbells that you can load to anything even approaching half that. So, before long, your DBs will be useless for heavy squats, deads, rows, shrugs, etc.

That said, the cheap spinlock DBs are very safe. And much better than vastly overpriced and vastly over-hyped Powerblocks.

While you are spending the next year or more acquiring stuff:

Chins and dips(on the trestles) are often called upper-body squats. That is because they use your whole bodyweight. Most of us don't move our whole bodyweight around in trees all the time using just our arms. If we did.........

Bodyweight squats are great but not as awesome. That is because even the legs of thin weak people are used to carrying their whole bodyweight around all the time. Doing full squats hammers them with an unaccustomed range of motion. That is much harder than walking, so on the right track. Work up to a set of a hundred reps.

Pushups are great, but they only use half your bodyweight. When you get good at them, elevating your feet on a step, stool, chair, table, window sill, will make them much harder.

Hanging leg raises(from your chin setup) are great if you do them slowly. Swinging and using momentum to get them up is a waste of time. Even granny can do them like that.

Crunches are a a waste of time. Granny can do a hundred when she can get out of bed.

Basically anything that is too easy is not going to make you awesome.

Lift well and prosper.
    Last edited by jgreystoke; 03-07-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).