Closed Thread
    georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Short Workouts vs. Long Workouts

Hey all. So I've got a question for those with experience in this.

Friend A lifts for 3-3.5 hours each day for 4-5 days a week

Friend B Lifts for 45 minutes to 75 minutes for 5-6 days a week at a slightly higher intensity level than friend A.

Friend B does this in an effort to reduce cortisol levels in the body, he believes that he will receive bigger gains by doing this.

So I was wondering what you all think about this, do you prefer shorter or longer workouts? and why?

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It depends on context.

You could be doing some heavy ass compound lifts in the same workout and needing over 5 minutes rest between sets and exercises, and thus go for well over an hour without doing a ridiculous level of volume. Or you could be doing something like supersetting biceps and triceps and be resting a minute between sets and doing 30 sets in an hour for teh gunz.

But I think I can safely say that unless friend A is on dat dere celltech, then him training for 3-3 1/2 hours is counterproductive.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) georgiadawg14 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hey thanks man, either one doesn't matter to me because I'm a college kid with lots of time on my hands so i was just considering upping my workout time to see if I receive larger gains, while friend b keeps telling me that it would be counterproductive.

based on actual events jtaylor2010's Avatar
    jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jtaylor2010 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I try to get everything done in 1-1.5 hours. Anything over that and I'd say up your weight until you're worn down by an hour and a half worth of working out. If your weight sessions last 3.5 hours you're doing a lot more sitting around than working.

nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by georgiadawg14 View Post
    hey thanks man, either one doesn't matter to me because I'm a college kid with lots of time on my hands so i was just considering upping my workout time to see if I receive larger gains, while friend b keeps telling me that it would be counterproductive.
    I agree with friend B. Train with as much intensity as you can bring, and then GTFO of the gym, eat something, and rest your muscles. Sitting there doing more and more sets all day isn't going to make your stronger.

-Andrew

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm not in the gym more than 1.5 hours. That includes warm up, weights, and stretching. If you are natural and take 3 hours to train, you are probably just pussyfooting around.

Plus, I have a life outside the gym, school, work, girlfriend.

Lifting is fun as hell, but I prefer results to enjoyment. Shorter workouts=better results for me.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You can workout hard or you can workout long, you can't do both. I know being in the gym is nice, but 3.5hrs 5 days a week? Might as well just get a job at the gym since he is there so long.
    My Workout Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146169983&pagenumber=

"It is while struggling against the heaviest weights a human body can move that the demand for courage is incessant."
    -Mike Mentzer

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How the f*ck does someone have 3.5 hours a day to work out?

That being said I bet the guy who spends 3.5 hours a day will have better gains assuming he's maintaining enough intensity that long and manages his recovery well. Listen don't get me wrong, you don't need more than an hour a day to make good gains. But don't kid yourself into thinking the guy who spends less time is going to make better gains because of "cortisol". The best athletes and bodybuilders in the world spend far more than an hour a day training. And not to compare your friend to an elite athlete but it does tell you something.

GW-LAX will become famous soon enough. (+50) GW-LAX will become famous soon enough. (+50) GW-LAX will become famous soon enough. (+50) GW-LAX will become famous soon enough. (+50) GW-LAX will become famous soon enough. (+50) GW-LAX will become famous soon enough. (+50) GW-LAX will become famous soon enough. (+50) GW-LAX will become famous soon enough. (+50) GW-LAX will become famous soon enough. (+50) GW-LAX will become famous soon enough. (+50) GW-LAX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    How the f*ck does someone have 3.5 hours a day to work out?

That being said I bet the guy who spends 3.5 hours a day will have better gains assuming he's maintaining enough intensity that long and manages his recovery well. Listen don't get me wrong, you don't need more than an hour a day to make good gains. But don't kid yourself into thinking the guy who spends less time is going to make better gains because of "cortisol". The best athletes and bodybuilders in the world spend far more than an hour a day training. And not to compare your friend to an elite athlete but it does tell you something.

My guess is more pussyfooting that l33t bodybuilding training.

-Friend A just seems like he is either doing A) too many sets for a group of muscles (Chest) B) He possibly does a 2 day split working multiple muscle groups per workout compared to Friend B who is focusing on one muscle group per workout.
    Reps 4 Lyfe

Zriess

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GW-LAX View Post
    My guess is more pussyfooting that l33t bodybuilding training.
    Probably. Most people can't maintain intensity that long unless they are roiding or they've been training that way their entire lives and are genetic marvels. Or both.

Oh they're both genetic freaks no doubt. both natural bodybuilders who work real hard each day. I wouldn't listen to either of them if they were scrawny little guys who talk more than they actually do. Friend A maintains a steady intensity throughout each workout while friend B wants to beat the crap out of his body and reach hypertrophy as soon as possible. Ive lifted for months at a time with both and seen gains from working with each of them. Just thought this was an interesting question that others might like to answer

W8sB4dates is not very well liked. (-100) W8sB4dates is not very well liked. (-100) W8sB4dates is not very well liked. (-100) W8sB4dates is not very well liked. (-100) W8sB4dates is not very well liked. (-100) W8sB4dates is not very well liked. (-100) W8sB4dates is not very well liked. (-100) W8sB4dates is not very well liked. (-100) W8sB4dates is not very well liked. (-100) W8sB4dates is not very well liked. (-100) W8sB4dates is not very well liked. (-100)
    45-50 mins for me max doing a 1 body part per day split. If its taking longer than that your probably waiting too long between sets and lack intensity.
    "Muscles and Motorcycles never go out of style"

fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hi guys I am new in here and found this thread looking exactly for what people think and experience about precisely this topic. That's because I feel that my training sessions might be too long. I don't know why, but I have kind of imprinted in my head that I have to destroy myself before I can go home. My entire training can be 3 hours including warm up and stretches. 45 minutes is only for stretching and warm up only, about half and half, before and after training. The rest would be lest just say chest an hour and a half, then triceps and abs 45 minutes about half and half from that time for both. Now I read some assumptions that those people who do have such a long sessions are taking long rest in between sets e.g. but that is not really my case. I train hard, for example:

- tucked planche dips 2 sets by 8 reps 60s rest
    - 50kg weighed dips 8 reps, 40kg 9 reps, 30kg 11, 20kg 12 with 60-90sec rest btw sets (pretty much all sets to failure)
    - body weight only dips 2 sets of 15 60 sec rest in btw
    - after that I do deep push ups with my feet hanging in the stretching band to target core as well, 5 sets of 6 very slowly with 60 sec rest
    - then I do pre-exhaust training system 3 sets of flies 15-12 reps back to back with diamond push ups 10 reps bringing my hips higher as normally
    - bench press 3 or 4 sets 80-50kg 10 reps per set 60 sec rest
    - then I do incline bench high and low incline each 3 sets with reps depending on the weight which I change sometimes higher with lower reps sometimes lower with higher reps all with 60 sec rest
    - then I do pre-exhaust again doing 3 sets of high cable chest flies back to back with dumbbell press 15-10 reps with 60 second rest in between sets
    - after that again pre-exhaust with 3 sets of low cable chest flies back to back to straight bar dips again 15-10 reps with 60s rest in btw
    - then I do triceps 4 exercises 3 sets each starting with 2 first sets as pre or post exhaust back to back with 60 second rest and then 2 other ordinary sets doing 45-60 sec rest in between
    - I train hard on abs e.g. abs roll from standing position 10 reps back to back with deep leg raises of the bench 10 reps going straight no kneeling abs roll from the bosu 10 reps back to back to deep leg raises of the bench 10 reps again back to back to kneeling abs roll from bosu (I take rest in between each set only about 4 breaths to take my breath back) after that longer rest about 60-90 second and again two exercises back to back like I described above targeting also sides not just middle .... will do this for about 22 minutes

.... and then I am done ... I can do my stretching and go home happily destroyed or sometimes I just go home take shower eat and then do my stretching session for about 20-25 minutes

I don't think it's a "lazy man routine" as I do watch my time under the tensions and I do about 40 seconds per set on average for sure with post and pre exhaust all 2 sets back to back lasting even 90 seconds. But I do believe IT IS NOT necessary to have a good results. I am just this type who when does something digs deeper or how should I put it and the fact that I mentioned at the beginning that I have to destroy myself in order to get that satisfaction in my head that I have had a good session.

I have had long sessions pretty much since I started to train and I surely had some gains however I am not the most shredded guy in the gym or anything. There are many better looking and stronger guys in a better shape (I am only 70kg) as I am in the gym where I go to but only couple train so hard doing so long sessions. Now I do this 5 days a week sometimes 5 straight with the weekend of sometimes with one day off somewhere in the middle.

What do I believe however and what no one has mentioned so far which is upmost important when it comes to both short and/or long sessions.

DIET/NUTRITION

I believe if that is set and done right anyone can have good gains doing any long or short sessions. If your sessions are longer obviously you will have to eat bit more as you will spend more calories and vice versa eating bit less for short sessions so you don't suck in the non quality staff if you know what I mean.

Also what I find that your body will probably require little bit more sleep as it would normally to regenerate so 6 hours sleep if you doing this will not cut it probably.

Well thought to share my grain of salt on this as it is indeed interesting topic for those who like to train long and hard and any other input would be only welcome as I can see that this threat has been sitting in here for quite while now.

Thanks to all for their input in here.

Stay strong!

Last edited by fkysmile; 10-02-2018 at 04:24 PM.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You necro'd a 6 year old thread to humble brag about your weak ass workout.

fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fkysmile has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    You necro'd a 6 year old thread to humble brag about your weak ass workout.
    I am sorry if I gave You this impression but I did not meant to brag. I was just trying to find some good info on it as it is hard to find good info on that. Usually shorter sessions are being compared like 30 minutes to 75 or 90 but not like 2-3 hours. So though that it won't hurt to ask with an input in such an old thread. The idea was to learn something new.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Im sorry if you think 45 minutes of stretching at the beginning of a workout is anything other than a dumb idea.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Im sorry if you think 45 minutes of stretching at the beginning of a workout is anything other than a dumb idea.
    I didn't write anything like that so not sure where You are getting this from.