1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stiff / sore shoulders

I don't post here very often but, I am hoping someone here can offer some advice. I am 53 years old and have been working out for 28+ years. For the past few years I have noticed that it is becoming increasingly difficult, and painful, to get under a bar to do rear squats. My shoulders feel so stiff and sore; it takes a few sets just to get to the point where it is bearable.

Do any of you have this same problem and, if so, what have you done to relieve the pain? I still squat regularly but, find the pain in the shoulders to be a bit of a distraction.

I know I could just switch to front squats but, I just don't get that same feeling from them.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by 1996Z15 View Post
    I don't post here very often but, I am hoping someone here can offer some advice. I am 53 years old and have been working out for 28+ years. For the past few years I have noticed that it is becoming increasingly difficult, and painful, to get under a bar to do rear squats. My shoulders feel so stiff and sore; it takes a few sets just to get to the point where it is bearable.

Do any of you have this same problem and, if so, what have you done to relieve the pain? I still squat regularly but, find the pain in the shoulders to be a bit of a distraction.

I know I could just switch to front squats but, I just don't get that same feeling from them.
    I sometimes have a similar feeling due to being understretched after a tough chest/back/shoulder day...then have to squat two days later and am still tight....

takes a set or two to stretch out usually.

1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1996Z15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That would make sense except I do back on Wednesdays and legs on Friday. Chest gets worked on Sunday so I would think I would be recovered from the chest / shoulder day by Friday.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That would make sense except I do back on Wednesdays and legs on Friday. Chest gets worked on Sunday so I would think I would be recovered from the chest / shoulder day by Friday.

sleeping on one shoulder or the other all night?

wrlord is on a distinguished road. (+10) wrlord is on a distinguished road. (+10) wrlord is on a distinguished road. (+10) wrlord is on a distinguished road. (+10) wrlord is on a distinguished road. (+10) wrlord is on a distinguished road. (+10) wrlord is on a distinguished road. (+10) wrlord is on a distinguished road. (+10) wrlord is on a distinguished road. (+10) wrlord is on a distinguished road. (+10) wrlord is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm a little younger than you - 47 - and I've had this problem for years. It got steadily worse, to the point where it is physically impossible for me to get my arms behind the bar. It's also prohibitively painful for me to sleep on my side. Relieving the pain? Yah, not a damn thing, other than quitting the gym. And that's not gonna happen.

Yes I usually sleep on my side until the pain wakes me up.....lol. I guess I just have to live with it since I am not going to stop working out.

Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Sounds like you need to some stretching.

I had a similar problem 6 months ago. I never did any kind of stretching for the chest and shoulders/arms and it started to become a problem. I started feeling extremely tight and awkward holding the bar in a back squat position.

The problem cleared up pretty fast after i started stretching after each chest and shoulder workout.

trexxx8739 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trexxx8739 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trexxx8739 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trexxx8739 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had the same issue, even had some "popping". actually thought I tore something. put up with it several months and cut out all exercises that caused me pain. ended up going to the Dr. and got a cortisone shot. 2 weeks later it felt much better, then a month later had to get a shot in my other shoulder. that was over a year ago. no problems since

realistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) realistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) realistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) realistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) realistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) realistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) realistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) realistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) realistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) realistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) realistic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would look into cortisone shots. I've had many over the years and they always take care of the issue as long as its not a bad tear - or bad enough to be a problem.
    Lift big, eat big, die big - and leave a big ass coffin.