nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

New to keto and a little confused

Hi all, i started keto about a month ago i went 1 week and did a carb up that weekend after i realized i need more time to adjust i restarted and am now 3 weeks in with no cheat or carb up yet. I am 38 years old 6'2" and weigh 200 lbs i had lost 65 lbs in the last year or so just watching calorie intake and exercising. after that i seemed to stall completely i couldnt get lower than 205 no matter what i tried. So i start keto i have lost roughly 5 pounds and i have increased weight training to 3-4 days a week with heavy weight low sets /fail trying to build muscle. i seem to have stalled after the first 2 weeks i actually gained 2 pounds this week.... so here goes my meals are kinda as follows:

Breakfast: 2 omega 3 eggs,slice of swiss,3 slices bacon (precooked type) and some sort of green stir fried in1/2 T evoo

Snack: Pwo protein shake 1 scoop (gold standard) usually a handful of almonds and a cheese stick OR a scoop of Peanutbutter about an hour later

Lunch: Big salad romaine with grated parm cheese 4-6 oz chicken and 2 T evoo

Snack: 2 hard boiled omega 3 eggs and a cheese stick

Diner: 6-8 oz of chicken/beef/pork with a slice of swiss and some stir fried greens in 1/2 T evoo sometimes ill throw an oz of peanuts in there

Last snack: something small like 2 cheese sticks and a few slices of pepperoni OR a scoop of peanutbutter and some almonds.

I drink 3-4 L water daily as a bare min. more on workout days
    I use Myfitnesspal to track all cals and macros i stay at around 60%F,35%P,5%C and 2000-2200 cals.So is this good i have read that fats should be 65% but i find it hard to hit that without going high on my cals. Im thinking of doing a carb up this weekend maybe just a saturday afternoon after last workout hoping this will kick my into gear again. A side note i also have celiac so carb up is a little tricky i cant do wheat so i will have to just do gluten free things like rice, rice pastas and so on. Any advise / tweaking would be great . oh yeah bought some ketostix and have only registered on them very low a couple of times over the last few weeks

txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    have you registered no ketones on the ketostix? I guess that doesnt matter really. If your calories are at a deficit, you should be losing weight, regardless of what you consume. If you arent losing weight, consider raising your deficit or do some cardio. In regards to the carb up, there are numerous posts in the stickies to explain exactly how to carb up. I would recommend them. They explain what to eat, when to eat, when to workout, how long the carb up period is, etc

nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have showed ketones but not steady they come and go . You think raising my calories may help I was worried I am eating to many. I have been eating 1500-1600 for over a year now and that got me from 265 to current weight. Also I do some cardio on off/rest days though I hate it I force myself to do 30 minutes of something

txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txlonghorns23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    According to your stats, your maintainence caloric intake is around 2400, given the accuracy of equations. If you eat 1500 calories a day, thats roughly 5600 caloric deficit for the week or 1.11 pounds/week. Everybody is different though so you might need less or more. Try an adjustment for a couple of weeks. If you dont see a change, do another one

In regards to the ketones, how many carbs do you generally consume? Do you have caffeine? Do you eat sugar alcohols? All of these could contribute to bumping someone out of ketosis. Once again, it is based on the individual

Just to clarify 1500 cals was what I did over the last year. On keto im doing around 2000-2200 cals and still hungry btw but that has gotten better. I had my maintenance cals at around 2700 so I dropped 500 and I get 2200 maybe I should aim for 1800-2000. As far as carbs the only carbs I get are from greens with fiber I won't eat a carb unless it has some fiber to offset so on average my net carbs are around 20g . I do drink 2 cups of coffee a day morning and afternoon and the occasional shot/shots of tequila on weekends I know it's bad but I gotta live

Originally Posted by nowheateater View Post
    Just to clarify 1500 cals was what I did over the last year. On keto im doing around 2000-2200 cals and still hungry btw but that has gotten better. I had my maintenance cals at around 2700 so I dropped 500 and I get 2200 maybe I should aim for 1800-2000. As far as carbs the only carbs I get are from greens with fiber I won't eat a carb unless it has some fiber to offset so on average my net carbs are around 20g . I do drink 2 cups of coffee a day morning and afternoon and the occasional shot/shots of tequila on weekends I know it's bad but I gotta live
    The effects of alcohol will easily kick you out of keto. While liquor itself might be low in carbs, alcohol provides 7 calories per gram and is processed differently by the body. Also coffee has been known to kick some people out of keto. I don't exactly know why for some and not for all but apparently thats what happens. In regards to your calories, yes try to aim for 1800. Eat plenty of veggies. They tend to keep me full and to simply things, I don't count them in my macros. Their benefits are always worth having in my diet and I won't cut them out to stay under. Like I said before, yur maintainence level is around 2400 calories (as an estimate) so sticking around 2200 would result in very slow weight loss. At least do a 500 deficit/day so you can see a pound loss/week. Also good job on your weight loss so far. Everyday you are on a deficit puts you one day closer to your goal. Keep on going

Thanks for your responses I am going to drop my cals. As far as coffee and alcohol idk if I can eliminate totally well not the coffee at least I have 5 kids and 2 jobs so... Yeah I needs my 2 cups. But even if I'm not in ketosis my carbs being so low should still have the weight drop effect ? Yes? As for carb up I have read that you can stall without doing some sort of carb load ( be it a meal or a day) . Or worse that you will start to lose muscle . So my original question on carb up was not how to it was more should I it has been 3 weeks on low carbs with no cheats

You never go full Ketard cbeastwood's Avatar
    cbeastwood is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeastwood is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeastwood is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeastwood is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeastwood is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeastwood is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeastwood is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeastwood is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeastwood is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeastwood is on a distinguished road. (+10) cbeastwood is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Booze will kick you out of keto, but only while your body processes it. After the booze is gone you will go right back in to keto.

Originally Posted by nowheateater View Post
    Thanks for your responses I am going to drop my cals. As far as coffee and alcohol idk if I can eliminate totally well not the coffee at least I have 5 kids and 2 jobs so... Yeah I needs my 2 cups. But even if I'm not in ketosis my carbs being so low should still have the weight drop effect ? Yes? As for carb up I have read that you can stall without doing some sort of carb load ( be it a meal or a day) . Or worse that you will start to lose muscle . So my original question on carb up was not how to it was more should I it has been 3 weeks on low carbs with no cheats
    Well see if it is the coffee kicking you out of keto. On a day where the ketostix show no ketones in your urine, don't drink the coffee the next couple of days. Then check. If you're in ketosis, that was probably the problem.

What you also need to remember is that keto is not some magic diet. Being in ketosis only helps your body more efficiently process fats. What keto really does is help you manage hunger. Fats and proteins tend to make you feel full. Just like every diet, success is based on the deficit of calories.

Also when I told you to about the stickies, I was simply implying that they will tell you after how long to do a carb up. Generally speaking, it is about 3 weeks after you start and then most people do carb ups after that every 1-2 weeks.