Tunadave89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

College Student In Need of Advice!!!

I am a student at Arizona State and I am trying to increase muscle while cutting fat, but like most college students I dont have a lot of money, therefore I am unable to feed myself the right stuff day to day, like lean meats, and complex carbs. I will sometimes treat help myself out with a protein powder purchase but I cant afford one every time I finish off one. I usually stick to a breakfast, try and get a lunch, dinner regime. I workout a different muscle each week and finish off with a cardio day. Can someone help me out some advice on a nutrition plan that I could do to maximize my muscle gains and fat loss, even with my small wallet? Thank you!

ohmagadbecky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    idk im doin fine at my school. Sure there's a ton of crap but there's also sandwhiches that could be made with lean meats, oatmeal and eggs for breakfast, salad bars, ect...I dont use any protein powders, never have and never will

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Tunadave89 View Post
    I am a student at Arizona State and I am trying to increase muscle while cutting fat, but like most college students I dont have a lot of money, therefore I am unable to feed myself the right stuff day to day, like lean meats, and complex carbs. I will sometimes treat help myself out with a protein powder purchase but I cant afford one every time I finish off one. I usually stick to a breakfast, try and get a lunch, dinner regime. I workout a different muscle each week and finish off with a cardio day. Can someone help me out some advice on a nutrition plan that I could do to maximize my muscle gains and fat loss, even with my small wallet? Thank you!
    Start off reading the stickies at the top of the forum and learn to calculate your energy needs and compose a proper diet. Once you know your macro minimums you can fill in the remaining energy needs with a mix of pr/fat/carbs of your choice. That's the simple version but in reality it doesn't get much more complicated than that, so go study up and figure out what you actually need first, then come back and let's talk about the names of the foods you enjoy! Good luck!

RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I feel you bro,

Whey blends are our cheapest solution next is tuna , then whey isolate = chicken breasts and eggs are easy
    but not a good source for a high protein, they are just a good quality complete protein.
    Cottage cheese is cheap

oatmeal & popcorn for cheap carbs
    Olive Oil and heavy cream for fats

grounded Flax seeds are cheap fiber and omega's
    Seek truth and reason

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RugbyTank View Post
    I feel you bro,

Whey blends are our cheapest solution next is tuna , then whey isolate = chicken breasts and eggs are easy
    but not a good source for a high protein, they are just a good quality complete protein.
    Cottage cheese is cheap

oatmeal & popcorn for cheap carbs
    Olive Oil and heavy cream for fats

grounded Flax seeds are cheap fiber and omega's
    Until he knows how much he needs of what, it's impossible to suggest the best low cost solution to his problem. So if he will do a small amount of study/research, most or all of which can be done right on this forum, then possibly we can help him, and maybe you too!! Let us know!!

RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RugbyTank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rand18m View Post
    Until he knows how much he needs of what, it's impossible to suggest the best low cost solution to his problem. So if he will do a small amount of study/research, most or all of which can be done right on this forum, then possibly we can help him, and maybe you too!! Let us know!!
    sure,
    but i dont need help thanks for offer I was just listing foods that are cheap & easy/non-mess to prepare
    Seek truth and reason

allprocro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) allprocro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) allprocro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) allprocro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) allprocro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) allprocro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) allprocro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) allprocro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) allprocro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) allprocro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) allprocro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tunadave89 View Post

I am a college student and I can tell you the MOST important thing you can do is figure out your MACROS and build a meal plan around that. I have done it for a year and I actually just re-did my macros of continued gains. It helps you save money and get the most out of every calorie. This is true for if you are trying to cut or gain muscle.

Visit the stickys the "Critique my mealplan" will explain how to set up your macros. I won't explain it here but I will show you what it will look like after you do it
    Weight: 188
    BF: 15ish %
    Goal: Gain Size, Muscle, Strength
    Calories 3034
    Protein 228g (35%)
    Carbs 387g (58%)
    Fat 45g (7%)

Then you go back and just fill those needs with your foods the "micro" aspect of it. How many meals, what to eat, when to eat, ect, ect. Use the Macro as a guideline, most people will tell you that eating more than 3 meals is better. So instead of 3 1,000+ calorie meals I would try to break them down to 400-600 calorie meals and eat around 6 meals a day.

blyon1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blyon1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blyon1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blyon1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blyon1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blyon1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blyon1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blyon1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blyon1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    homemade protein bar.

now adjust based on your caloric and macro needs

mix oatmeal, peanut butter, and whey with water. now with the water add little by little until u have a paste like pancake batter then microwave until it puffs up. about 1 min 30 or 2 min. this does require some playing around with.
    Brief Background: Used to be 250lbs, lost it.

Current
    Age - 22
    Height - 6'
    Weight - 163.2lbs (10/15/12)
    Current Goal: SLOWLY gain some mass & work on my BDD

Current Diet Marco's - P/C/F
    Data comes from an actual tracked day
    Workout Days - 2588cals 250g/248g/63g
    Non Weight Days - 2284cals 226g/199g/62g

Originally Posted by allprocro View Post
    I am a college student and I can tell you the MOST important thing you can do is figure out your MACROS and build a meal plan around that. I have done it for a year and I actually just re-did my macros of continued gains. It helps you save money and get the most out of every calorie. This is true for if you are trying to cut or gain muscle.

Visit the stickys the "Critique my mealplan" will explain how to set up your macros. I won't explain it here but I will show you what it will look like after you do it
    Weight: 188
    BF: 15ish %
    Goal: Gain Size, Muscle, Strength
    Calories 3034
    Protein 228g (35%)
    Carbs 387g (58%)
    Fat 45g (7%)

Then you go back and just fill those needs with your foods the "micro" aspect of it. How many meals, what to eat, when to eat, ect, ect. Use the Macro as a guideline, most people will tell you that eating more than 3 meals is better. So instead of 3 1,000+ calorie meals I would try to break them down to 400-600 calorie meals and eat around 6 meals a day.
    This is pretty close^^^. The last statement about meal frequency is the only tweak needed here. OP, you can eat 6 meals a day if you like, but don't think it's necessary. Meal frequency is purely and simply a personal preference, will have no affect on your body composition.

Read the stickies and use Google to it's fullest!!

wagarb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am in same boat. However, this is how you do it cheaply

Buy:
    Carbs:

Oats, Whole Wheat Bread, Whole Wheat Pasta,Brown Rice, Potatoes

Protein:
    Eggs, Frozen Chicken, Peanut Butter, Tuna, Lean ground beef

Fats:
    Olive Oil, Avocado, Peanuts/Almonds

Other:
    Frozen vegetables, other vegetables (on sale), tomatoes, onion, broccoli, Cabbage,
    Apples, Bananas, Whatever other fruit you want
    Cottage Cheese, Greek Yogurt,Milk

Whatever else you want on sale. Buy as much in bulk as you can (for storage and how long it will last)

Originally Posted by wagarb View Post

Avocado
    MMM, just had an avocado 1.5 hours ago

Patriot1783 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ASU!! HELL YEAH BUDDY SRC ALL DAYYY!!! Um... Fry's has chicken breast on sale this week starting tomorrow 1.88/lbs gonna get stacks tomorrow. Just get a big 4-5lbs tub of protein powder on here or Amazon, I'd suggest ON it's like $40 for 70 Servings I think (5lbs). NEVER EVER get a smoothie from that joke of a smoothie bar at the SRC or Jamba Juice. It's like $5-6 for one serving when you could save that and just get a big tub. I mean unless you're craving a smoothie but I hate that little bar, it's a ripoff

heaa21 is just really nice. (+1000) heaa21 is just really nice. (+1000) heaa21 is just really nice. (+1000) heaa21 is just really nice. (+1000) heaa21 is just really nice. (+1000) heaa21 is just really nice. (+1000) heaa21 is just really nice. (+1000) heaa21 is just really nice. (+1000) heaa21 is just really nice. (+1000) heaa21 is just really nice. (+1000) heaa21 is just really nice. (+1000)
    get whole oatmeal in a can from walmart and a jar of peanut butter.

if you get offbrands for both its like 15 dollars and they can give you an entire meal of 500 healthy calories a day for only like 15-20 dollars a month.

I am in college and this is usually what I eat for bed..cheap, easy to make, and very healthy.

also, I would recommend putting half a packet in truvia in it for some flavor. It isn't the worst taste plain but if you are very picky this can help.