A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is there anything wrong with having turkey burgers as my main source of protein?

I am starting a 2600c 40/40/20 diet while doing SS to lose weight and (primarily) fat. Where I live turkey burgers come in a box of 12... if I eat 4 burgers a day that's about 140g of protein and around 640c, if I buy two boxes a week (only cost $8) [going for a $30-40/week of food]. Will eating this many turkey burgers be considered healthy? Are there any disadvantages to doing this? Other protein sources from food I'm getting are: eggs (3-4 a day), milk (2-3 cups a day), tuna (2 cans a day), and maybe protein powder and boneless chicken.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Why 40/40/20? You are making work for yourself when all you need to do is ensure minimum levels of pro and fat - then fill the rest with anything at all. Makes planning much easier.

For example, you would probably not be stressing about whether to eat all turkey burgers right now. Always be careful of diets without much variety you could be introducing nutrient deficiencies. Plug it all in to fitday.com and check the results.

A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    40/40/20 is what's been recommended to me in the past. My bodyfat% is probably around 40% (too much fat), so for minimum protein requirements, around 180-190/day.

Here's a tentative shopping list: turkey burgers, eggs, milk, tuna, chicken (maybe), protein powder (maybe), veggies (primarily broccoli), fruits (primarily bananas), beans (baked), oatmeal, brown rice, and bread. This should be under $30 (if I don't get the protein powder).

Of course, tuna is the cheapest option for protein (at 80cents a can) but eating nothing but tuna for protein requirements would get boring.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I urge you to read the stickies as you need to learn the basics about nutrition. Start with:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post436716771
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=136691851

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by A.S.T.09 View Post
    40/40/20 is what's been recommended to me in the past.
    By who, for what reason and citing which clinical trials?

It's OCD, I tell you. Just read the links Pug posted and enjoy a more varied and easy to construct menu.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    My bodyfat% is probably around 40% (too much fat),
    ^^ Seriously?

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nobody feel the need to point out to op that eating 2 cans of tuna a day is no buneo?
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am starting a 2600c 40/40/20 diet
    Having to eat macronutrients in a certain balance or "ratio" to achieve optimal results is a common misconception. What matters is whether total macronutrient amounts meet physiological sufficiency.

Once you work out calorie needs, you then work out how much of each macronutrient you should aim for. This should NOT be based on a ratio of macro intakes (your body doesn't care what % of what macro you're eating.) The body works based on sufficient quantity per lean mass or total mass.

For protein, the general sports nutrition guideline based on most studies out suggest that in the face of adequate calories and carbs, 1 gram per pound of LEAN body mass is sufficient.

For fats, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body needs fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally, exercise will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which acts to control free radical damage and inflammation. The general guideline is 0.5 to 1 gram per pound of LEAN body mass.

Once you meet these targets, these are your "essential calories." The remaining calories are called "discretionary calories" and can be any combination of protein, fats, and carbs based on your own personal preference.

So again, percentages are to be avoided as they do not take into consideration physiological sufficiency. Your lean mass determines what your macronutrient intake should be to support that lean mass. The common 40/40/20 split of protein, carbohydrates, and fats is just a cookie-cutter macronutrient proportion of the average bodybuilder's diet.

Originally Posted by MikeK46 View Post
    Having to eat macronutrients in a certain balance or "ratio" to achieve optimal results is a common misconception. What matters is whether total macronutrient amounts meet physiological sufficiency.

Once you work out calorie needs, you then work out how much of each macronutrient you should aim for. This should NOT be based on a ratio of macro intakes (your body doesn't care what % of what macro you're eating.) The body works based on sufficient quantity per lean mass or total mass.

For protein, the general sports nutrition guideline based on most studies out suggest that in the face of adequate calories and carbs, 1 gram per pound of LEAN body mass is sufficient.

For fats, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body needs fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally, exercise will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which acts to control free radical damage and inflammation. The general guideline is 0.5 to 1 gram per pound of LEAN body mass.

Once you meet these targets, these are your "essential calories." The remaining calories are called "discretionary calories" and can be any combination of protein, fats, and carbs based on your own personal preference.

So again, percentages are to be avoided as they do not take into consideration physiological sufficiency. Your lean mass determines what your macronutrient intake should be to support that lean mass. The common 40/40/20 split of protein, carbohydrates, and fats is just a cookie-cutter macronutrient proportion of the average bodybuilder's diet.
    So, it doesn't matter how many carbs I take in? I could eat 200g of good carbs (oatmeal, brown rice, veggies, fruits), 180g of protein, and 80g of fats and still lose fat/weight? I know about eating in a deficit and all that. I'm aiming for 1lb loss per week to avoid having loose skin.

Can some of you post some cheap calorie dense food that'll help me fill out calories? For example, those cheap $1 pizzas... I could eat one of those per day, and that's around 400c and protein and carbs, but bad fats.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So, it doesn't matter how many carbs I take in? I could eat 200g of good carbs (oatmeal, brown rice, veggies, fruits), 180g of protein, and 80g of fats and still lose fat/weight? I know about eating in a deficit and all that. I'm aiming for 1lb loss per week to avoid having loose skin.

Yes you could

Bad carbs? I assume you are saying simple carbs are bad?
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321