I promise this turns out to be SUPER tender and moist.
By the way: "croc pot" is a slow cooker.
I've made this MANY times for my mother and she absolutely LOVES it.
- 2 lbs shoulder cut (or Boston Butt) pork loin
- 1-12oz bottle/can of (diet) root beer
- 1 bottle of sugar-free barbecue sauce (can be found in diabetic sections of grocery store)
- Pepper (I used a Pepper "melody" grinder) (optional)
- Garlic salt (optional)
- Slow cooker liner (optional) (Makes clean up non existent)
The Night Before Cooking
1. Take pork loin out of packaging and pierce with fork everywhere. Yes, this means all sides about 3/4 an inch away from each other. Doesn't have to be perfect, just get the fork in there nice and deep.
2. Sprinkle a layer of pepper and garlic salt (to your liking) all over. (once again, everywhere)
3. Find a medium size container (with a lid) that you can bend the pork loin to fold into. Do. Not. Cut. It. In. Half.
4. Once crammed in there, pour the entire 12oz of root beer in the container with it. (It's okay if some of the top isn't covered) Put the lid on and let it refrigerate overnight.
The Following Morning
1. Grab your croc pot and put the liner in it.
2. Dump the pork lion and root beer into the croc pot.
3. Turn croc pot on low. Let cook for anywhere between 6-8 hours. (If the root beer isn't covering the entire pork loin, you can A- turn pork loin over halfway through cook time or B- add more root beer I always do option A.
4. Take the pork loin out of the croc pot and place unto plate, grab two forks and begin to tear it apart into shredded pieces. May seem like it isn't tearing easily at first, but it will.
5. Dump the root beer out of the croc pot (or liner- replace liner after dumping out the root beer)
6. Place the shredded pork back into the croc pot and pour in the barbecue sauce. Stir until well mixed.
7. Continue cooking another hour and a half on low, stirring occasionally. However, it CAN be consumed after the barbeque sauce is heated- BUT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND waiting the extra hour and a half because... it just tastes better.
02-29-2012, 10:01 PM #1
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork (Trust me, you WANT this)
03-08-2012, 07:30 AM #2
- Join Date: Mar 2006
- Location: Connecticut, United States
- Age: 33
- Stats: 5'11", 167 lbs
- Posts: 3,588
- BodyPoints: 8443
- Rep Power: 9280
I have soaked my chicken in Diet Rootbeer in a slow cooker and the taste is amazing...it may look like crap when it's soaking in there but the taste comes out great!Chicago Crew
Next time you're tempted to say you "can't," remember that what you're really saying is, "I don't want to."
03-10-2012, 11:06 PM #3
04-18-2012, 10:55 AM #4
- Join Date: May 2011
- Location: Port Arthur, Texas, United States
- Age: 29
- Stats: 150 lbs
- Posts: 5
- Rep Power: 0
04-20-2012, 01:42 PM #5
- Join Date: Aug 2009
- Location: California, United States
- Age: 32
- Stats: 5'11", 176 lbs
- Posts: 91
- Rep Power: 85
06-10-2012, 04:30 PM #6
- Join Date: Aug 2009
- Location: West Coast, BC, Canada
- Age: 31
- Stats: 6'3", 195 lbs
- Posts: 8,222
- Rep Power: 18730