Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How do gymnasts / bodyweight only trainers avoid low back pain?

When i was doing alot of core work (especially for the Transverse Abdominis) doing mostly weighted planks, i started to get low back pain. i put this down a muscle imbalance since i werent doing much for the low back in comparison. i bought a back extension which i found helped, but i still get some niggles in my low back from time to time, i still think this is a muscle imbalance issue. perhaps i need to use the back extension more frequently and with more weight.

I find its my low back that lets me down on the harder core exercises, for example; standing wheel rollout, the bodysaw and dragon flags.
    just wondering what exercises gymnasts and bodyweight only trainees do to keep their low backs healthy and strong?
    Thanks in advance.

vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As a DPT, I can tell you over emphasizing ab training and under emphasizing lower back training can lead to lower back pain. Also remember your lower back muscles wasn't meant to hyper-extend, it was meant to help maintain the arch in your lower back for posture. Also your abs weren't designed to crunch, it was meant to stabilize and brace your mid section.

If you're doing a lot of crunches in your ab-routine, the pain you feel could be spinal. But if you're lower back is hurting when doing wheel rollouts, dragon flags, etc. it means your hips are sagging, you need to flex your abs harder, or your abs aren't strong enough to support the exercise.

Try these moves if you can plank for longer than 2 minutes consecutively for 3 sets with 30 second rest between sets:

Inch Worm:
    From a standing position bend over at the hips like you were going to stretch your hamstrings, with your palms flat on the ground, slowly walk out until you're hands are out in front of your head (if your hips sag, don't walkout so far with your hands) then inch your feet forwards. Remember this is slow moving

Swiss Ball Plank:
    The swiss ball will ad another dimension because it's an unstable surface. Want to make it harder, elevate your feet. Want to make it even harder, "stir the pot" while you're planking.

Also I would work on some lower back flexibility, it's very important to keep those lower back muscles flexible to prevent injury

vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vhuynh42 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Also, if there is any doubt in the root cause of the pain, I would go consult a doctor or physical therapist

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by vhuynh42 View Post
    your lower back muscles wasn't meant to hyper-extend, it was meant to help maintain the arch in your lower back for posture. Also your abs weren't designed to crunch, it was meant to stabilize and brace your mid section.
    Since when do muscles have meanings?

If muscles were not 'meant' to contract far enough to actively pull us into certain positions, they wouldn't be able to shorten that much.

Muscles aren't meant to have single fixed meanings. They both mobilize and stabilize.

So yeah, the abs are meant to crunch, otherwise you couldn't sit up from lying down on your back without twisting onto your side and pushing with your arms.

So yeah, the lower back is meant to hyper extend, otherwise you couldn't look up while lying on your stomach.

If stability was all that was needed for a joint it probably would've been a bone.

jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000)
    They did a study that revealed that most people have a bulging disc or 3, and some people are bothered by them, and some aren't. Personally I know I have a bulging disc now, and I'm not restricted, but I have to ice after hitting my back hard.
    " M as in Mancy"

fmbandito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fmbandito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fmbandito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fmbandito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fmbandito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fmbandito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fmbandito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fmbandito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fmbandito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fmbandito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fmbandito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yoga!

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As a DPT, I can tell you over emphasizing ab training and under emphasizing lower back training can lead to lower back pain. Also remember your lower back muscles wasn't meant to hyper-extend, it was meant to help maintain the arch in your lower back for posture. Also your abs weren't designed to crunch, it was meant to stabilize and brace your mid section.
    I've seen a few of your posts and you seem pretty knowledgeable but, this is off-base. The abs are categorized as spinal flexors... Anatomically their primary purpose IS to bend the spine.

Anyways, I do agree that the OP is overtargeting the abs/underworking the lower back. This will cause pain (been there). Calisthenics/gymnastics wise, the hyperextension is probably your best bet. Personally, I wouldn't reccomend weighting your back on planks. It could be really easy to injure yourself worse with these. Also try push-ups/planks where you take your opposite arm and leg held straight out as high as possible then switch after a good 3-5 second hold.

Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50)

If you're doing a lot of crunches in your ab-routine, the pain you feel could be spinal. But if you're lower back is hurting when doing wheel rollouts, dragon flags, etc. it means your hips are sagging, you need to flex your abs harder, or your abs aren't strong enough to support the exercise.

Try these moves if you can plank for longer than 2 minutes consecutively for 3 sets with 30 second rest between sets:

Inch Worm:
    From a standing position bend over at the hips like you were going to stretch your hamstrings, with your palms flat on the ground, slowly walk out until you're hands are out in front of your head (if your hips sag, don't walkout so far with your hands) then inch your feet forwards. Remember this is slow moving

Swiss Ball Plank:
    The swiss ball will ad another dimension because it's an unstable surface. Want to make it harder, elevate your feet. Want to make it even harder, "stir the pot" while you're planking.

Also I would work on some lower back flexibility, it's very important to keep those lower back muscles flexible to prevent injury
    first off i just want to say that i dont crunch, and i dont hyperextend on back exercises. my posture on the planks / unweighted planks was good and it werent the actual exercise that caused the pain. i wouldnt necissarily get it that day either, it was more a case of getting niggles in my low back throughout the day, plus it just feels like the weak link in any lift. i dont think im training my abs wrong, im just doing too much work for the front in comparison to the back.

i was just wondering how gymnasts can do the hardest core exercises around, yet have their low backs up to par with minimum equipment.

thoughts?

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by BloodType3R View Post
    The abs are categorized as spinal flexors... Anatomically their primary purpose IS to bend the spine.
    Being a spinal flexor doesn't mean that concentrically inducing flexion's the primary purpose. For all we know the main purpose could be isometrically preventing extension or eccentrically slowing down extension.

I'd rather just know the different things abs can do rather than argue what they're "meant primarily" to do, which seems popular. Talking like that is insinuating intelligent design, in which case, quote the bible and tell us what god designed muscles to do, otherwise it's required to make an evolutionary argument for a predominant purpose.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Also remember your lower back muscles wasn't meant to hyper-extend, it was meant to help maintain the arch in your lower back for posture. Also your abs weren't designed to crunch, it was meant to stabilize and brace your mid section.
    lol wut?

Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    I'd rather just know the different things abs can do rather than argue what they're "meant primarily" to do, which seems popular. .
    I'd rather just have an answer for my question.. lol

cheers.

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Curlers View Post
    The basic premise of the question is incorrect. Contrary to what may appear, long-time serious gymnasts don't have injury avoidance magic. They have good injury management skills and learn how to cope with backs that are often messed up to one degree or another at various times.

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    Being a spinal flexor doesn't mean that concentrically inducing flexion's the primary purpose. For all we know the main purpose could be isometrically preventing extension or eccentrically slowing down extension.

I'd rather just know the different things abs can do rather than argue what they're "meant primarily" to do, which seems popular. Talking like that is insinuating intelligent design, in which case, quote the bible and tell us what god designed muscles to do, otherwise it's required to make an evolutionary argument for a predominant purpose.
    Valid points. Didn't convey myself as well as I thought.

Originally Posted by Curlers View Post

cheers.
    Agreed. lol
    I gave a few suggestions below.

Originally Posted by BloodType3R View Post
    Calisthenics/gymnastics wise, the hyperextension is probably your best bet. Personally, I wouldn't reccomend weighting your back on planks. It could be really easy to injure yourself worse with these. Also try push-ups/planks where you take your opposite arm and leg held straight out as high as possible then switch after a good 3-5 second hold.
    Also note that being a gymnast does not mean using no weights. A very good fiend of mine runs a private gymnastics studio that I occassionally work out at. I can tell you that kettlebells are one of their most used peices of equipment... Single and double arm swings and cleans are great for a gymnasts core.

Destructodave is just really nice. (+1000) Destructodave is just really nice. (+1000) Destructodave is just really nice. (+1000) Destructodave is just really nice. (+1000) Destructodave is just really nice. (+1000) Destructodave is just really nice. (+1000) Destructodave is just really nice. (+1000) Destructodave is just really nice. (+1000) Destructodave is just really nice. (+1000) Destructodave is just really nice. (+1000) Destructodave is just really nice. (+1000)
    I saw this on yahoo news today. Circus kids inc.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/trai...ievably-strong

Pretty damn cool though for a 5 and 7 year old.