St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) St.Croix77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cure for Kyphosis on deadlift and front squat

Been battling severe kyphosis for my whole life but have been lifting through it for the past 3 years. My deadlift is my best lift and I have worked up to a 650 pull but I'm trying to get my hips more involved instead of all back. Also my squat SUCKS! I can't find a postion on my back to balance the bar without getting thrown forward, and if I sit back my upper back drops foreward. Here's some videos of my best deadlift then another deadlift with a different form and 335 raw squat without a belt.
    335 squat

650 deadlift (255bw)

455 deadlift (236bw)

I'm looking into getting a foam roller but I'm wondering if there's any specific lifts I can do to pull the back muscles back.

Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by St.Croix77 View Post
    Been battling severe kyphosis for my whole life but have been lifting through it for the past 3 years. My deadlift is my best lift and I have worked up to a 650 pull but I'm trying to get my hips more involved instead of all back. Also my squat SUCKS! I can't find a postion on my back to balance the bar without getting thrown forward, and if I sit back my upper back drops foreward. Here's some videos of my best deadlift then another deadlift with a different form and 335 raw squat without a belt.
    335 squat

650 deadlift (255bw)

455 deadlift (236bw)

I'm looking into getting a foam roller but I'm wondering if there's any specific lifts I can do to pull the back muscles back.
    Two things I can think of 1) You have deformed vertebrae causing the Kyphosis or 2) You are losing thoracic extension due to bad motor patterns.

If your kyphosis is caused by deformed vertebrae you are out of luck. If it is the latter you need to learn how to keep your thoracic spine in extension, if you are able to be in thoracic extension during an RDL then there is hope, you just have to reinforce that motor pattern and apply it to a deadlift/squat.

stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Go see a chiropractor man, they'll take x rays and you can see exactly whats going on. Kyphosis can be caused by lots of things including tight internal shoulder rotators, tight thoracic flexors ( your abs) and weak rhomboids . But you can stretch your chest, lats and abs as much as you want but if your vertebrae have moved out of the normal curve then your going to need adjustments to get the quickest result. which i assume you want.

Also like heavy beats said, try to reinforce better posture in your day to day life and in the gym.

The LOTR authority. BostonCreamPie's Avatar
    BostonCreamPie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonCreamPie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonCreamPie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonCreamPie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonCreamPie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonCreamPie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonCreamPie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonCreamPie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonCreamPie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonCreamPie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonCreamPie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First - see a doctor.

As for my unqualified word: there are two types of kyphosis - postural and structural. Postural kyphosis can be remedied by strengthening certain muscles (as the name suggests, it is just an issue of posture and can be consciously corrected), but I believe you may have the latter. Google Scheurmann's disease for an accurate representation of this. The angle of the vertebrae have grown unevenly and wedge shaped (thus causing extreme kyphosis of the spine). There is literally nothing you can do about this aside from getting surgery.

And if I may add another note...I have the exact same thing to an even worse degree than you do, so I know exactly how you feel and then some. I found it embarrassing for a while. People always run up to me and tell me how I'm going to hurt my back. I just shrug it off and tell them I have a personal issue. Explaining why I have an abnormally large curvature of the back gets old after a while. But you'll just have to learn what I did and pull through it, my friend. Good luck.