Larakius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squats HELP. What can I do?

Based on where I am living and working for the next 6 months, I am using a gym with very little equipment, and I have been doing something crazy because there is no squat rack. I take the olympic bar, and jerk and clean it up above my head and onto my shoulders. I then squat a bunch, very high reps maybe 12-20 reps, and then on the last squat I use the upward momentum to get the back over my head and safely lower it. Since this is riddiculously dangerous with high weight, I only do the amount I can completely control which is 135, but usually I squat around 225+. I also never go to failure, because it is just to dangerous. Please help, what can I do instead? How can I hit my legs properly?

Gym Equipment:

-1 Flat Bench for bench press
    -1 Olympic bar
    -2 Smith Machines with adjustable benchs
    -Many Free weights
    -Leg Curl Machine
    -Leg Extensions Machine
    -Pull up bar
    -Bunch of stupid/useless machines which occupy everyone else, eg stuff for abs and obliques...

Now, I love free weights and I find I can effectively hit every muscle group with a barbell and dumbells and an adjustable bench, except squats. For deadlift, I just take the bar from the bench press and use it. The gym is basically empty, or people use the smith machines. (I hate smith machines. I don't know why people here like them so much)

What I am currently doing: I do deadlifts on back day, and 3 days later on leg day I do leg ext and curls, calf raises and the dumass squats I described above.

Question: There is no squat rack, and no leg press machine (my go to for an alternative to squats). When I squat in the smith machine, it feels wrong for my knees. Is this still better then the crazy squats I have been doing? What can I do instead, and what would you do in this scenario? Finding a different gym is just not possible here.

You can't drown in sweat JesuitGrind's Avatar
    JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would use

Hang cleans
    Power cleans
    Jerks
    Snatch

and if they have a hex bar, do hex bar deadlifts

NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NoobyWhiteBelt is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Larakius View Post
    Based on where I am living and working for the next 6 months, I am using a gym with very little equipment, and I have been doing something crazy because there is no squat rack. I take the olympic bar, and jerk and clean it up above my head and onto my shoulders. I then squat a bunch, very high reps maybe 12-20 reps, and then on the last squat I use the upward momentum to get the back over my head and safely lower it. Since this is riddiculously dangerous with high weight, I only do the amount I can completely control which is 135, but usually I squat around 225+. I also never go to failure, because it is just to dangerous. Please help, what can I do instead? How can I hit my legs properly?

Gym Equipment:

-1 Flat Bench for bench press
    -1 Olympic bar
    -2 Smith Machines with adjustable benchs
    -Many Free weights
    -Leg Curl Machine
    -Leg Extensions Machine
    -Pull up bar
    -Bunch of stupid/useless machines which occupy everyone else, eg stuff for abs and obliques...

Now, I love free weights and I find I can effectively hit every muscle group with a barbell and dumbells and an adjustable bench, except squats. For deadlift, I just take the bar from the bench press and use it. The gym is basically empty, or people use the smith machines. (I hate smith machines. I don't know why people here like them so much)

What I am currently doing: I do deadlifts on back day, and 3 days later on leg day I do leg ext and curls, calf raises and the dumass squats I described above.

Question: There is no squat rack, and no leg press machine (my go to for an alternative to squats). When I squat in the smith machine, it feels wrong for my knees. Is this still better then the crazy squats I have been doing? What can I do instead, and what would you do in this scenario? Finding a different gym is just not possible here.
    do zercher squats please and thank you.