nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Another shoulder thread

Well my shoulder is acting up AGAIN. I tried to be very careful this time around an not do anything that I thought would aggravate it like dips or overhead bb presses. I've been doing bb bench, pec dec, standing arnolds, and lateral flies. All these seemed to be ok on my shoulder but I guess not. The odd thing is that it's not really painful when I'm lifting, just when I'm moving my shoulder in day to day activities like sitting at a desk and lifting my arm off the desk or trying to take off a jacket. Basically anything that requires activating my delt from a relaxed state. Once the delt is flexed there's no pain. It's just that initial movement that causes the pain. It's kind of an annoying, pinching pain. Very frustrating. Do I keep lifting? Might ditch the bb bench for dumbells. I had an ultra sound a while back that was somewhat inconclusive. There were a couple dark spots which could have been minor tears but they were very very small. Did some physio while I was training which didn't really seem to help. the only thing that helps is not lifting at all :/ I'm going back to my doc next week to try and get an MRI for better resolution.

I probably should just lay off the training but that would drive me crazy. I'm half way through this modified All Pro's I put together and I LOVE it. I'm sure my problem is worsened by my long desk job hours with bad posture. Maybe I just lay off the pushing and do all pulling to strengthen my back/scapula. Just thought I'd get some thoughts from your guys before the doc next week.

Thanks all.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try leaving out the BB bench, and then rotating through other lifts/combinations to see if you can narrow it done to specific movements and angles. Or just go easy all around until you get a diagnosis.

BB bench has been horrible on my shoulders. Eliminating heavy BB has done wonders. The few times I've drifting back into it again the shoulders problems have popped right back up.
    The shoulder is so complicated it's impossible to say what aspects of lifting are the worst from individual to individual, but [more] selective lifting might help.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

sakoy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sakoy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sakoy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sakoy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sakoy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sakoy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sakoy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sakoy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sakoy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sakoy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sakoy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My post training shoulder pain went away a few years ago when I started stretching shoulders between all sets of upper body work and for all pressing movements BB or DB, my uppers arms do not go below parallel to the floor. Also as you say above, I stopped doing flat BB bench pressing.

tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I don't have shoulder problems yet but I did talk to my doctor about it this week and he recommends using a narrower grip and using db's for bench and overhead work

nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I will remove BB bench and see how that goes. Doing the standing arnolds vs standing bb press has been huge as well. Something about the freedom of movement with the dumbbells makes all the difference in the world.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nixter: I feel your pain! it is one of the consistent frustrations that go hand in hand with lifting weights...

remember: bodybuilding is basically UNNATURAL, to the body, and so, at best, we are always skirting a bit with disaster....

the trick is not always total elimination of a movement!

for example: the problem with your benching could simply be the angle of the bench!!!

over the many years, I have narrowed down my lifting angle in benching to approximately 15 to 30 degrees: anything over or under that brings back similar delt problems.

I know, I know: it is complicated: do I leave something out completely, or do I tailor it and try to see if it can still be a part and parcel of my routines: not easy, and a constant chore: why I call a lifetime of bodybuilding A QUEST....
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

Thanks John, which angle are you referring to exactly? You mean tilting the bench? incline or decline?

Finally accused of juicin Corbi's Avatar
    Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by tmonkey View Post
    I don't have shoulder problems yet but I did talk to my doctor about it this week and he recommends using a narrower grip and using db's for bench and overhead work
    My right shoulder has been a problem for a long time, going with a lot narrower grip on BB bench has helped a lot. Also I target a lot more shoulder exercises now days and sure I get extremely sore for a few days, but I think slowly but surely it's helping.
    "You know that little thing in your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't? Yeah, well, I don't have one of those."

Audaces fortuna iuvat BillReilly's Avatar
    BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've been reading these shoulder threads with great interest. Two months ago I added the military press. A few weeks back my left shoulder began to get sore. Nothing serious, just sort of an ache. Reading about mslman71's shoulder issues in previous threads lead me to take a few days off to rest the shoulder and get rid of the military press. It seems that's not a great exercise.
    Si jeunesse savait, si vieillesse pouvait.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by nixter View Post
    Thanks John, which angle are you referring to exactly? You mean tilting the bench? incline or decline?
    I am referring to the angle of the INCLINE, sorry, I was not clearer in that aspect.

remember that a weight held over head in any fashion, in some way compresses the shoulder girdle: the angle of which it is overhead may affect that basic flaw more or less, depending upon your body and how it is constructed.
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

I tried incline dumbbells yesterday but still felt some discomfort. Think I'm going to lay off chest pressing altogether until I can get an MRI. Pec dec it is.

CaptnC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaptnC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaptnC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaptnC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaptnC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaptnC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaptnC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaptnC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaptnC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaptnC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaptnC has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Which part of your shoulder are you having problems with? I have a "25% tear" what ever that means of the Labrum (possibly misspelled)...which is the back of my left shoulder. Same thing as a rotator cuff, but in the rear not in front. My ortho surgeon said they don't normally cut on that as quickly as the rotator. I was doing pretty good until picked up the DB's for curls and got it burning and catching again. Not real painful but is aggravating!

Mine has no pain in the gym for the most part and feels the best it does all day. My problem areas are when I wake up in the morning...or little movements like getting dressed. Last night I didn't sleep...laid there until 2am and slept until 4:15am...shoulder felt great...wife liked it too...no snoring last night!

My ortho surgeon said BP was the cause, but I can't feel anything from the shoulder when benching...that is unless I tuck the elbows in (you know..the way your supposed to to keep from having shoulder problems). If I keep my elbows out...no issues.

I did nearly drop a 55lb DB into my face on the third lift of my second set. Left shoulder went totally limp...moved my head just in time for it land on my shoulder/chest. I started over and completed 5 sets without issue. Never was any pain...not sure if it had anything to do with the tear or not.
    Began Lifting weight in January 2011

Current stats 9-2011
    Bench-200 1 rep PB 250lbs
    Leg Press-700lbs 2-8-2012
    Squat-320lbs
    Dumb Bell Curl-45lb

Ego-huge! :o
    Vain-yes!

;)