davidlaboza will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidlaboza will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidlaboza will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidlaboza will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidlaboza will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidlaboza will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidlaboza will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidlaboza will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidlaboza will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidlaboza will become famous soon enough. (+50) davidlaboza will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Neutral grip chin-ups vs Regular chin-ups

I love incorporating chin-ups into my workouts, but the gym I go to now doesn't have a usual chin-up bar. You could either do pull-ups or neutral grip chin-ups (palms facing each other), but not regular chin-ups (palms facing the body). I've tried researching online, but couldn't find any answers.

Compared to regular chin-ups, what is the main difference in terms of what muscles get more/less emphasis?

Starting the Slow Cut CertifiedMuscle's Avatar
    CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by davidlaboza View Post
    I love incorporating chin-ups into my workouts, but the gym I go to now doesn't have a usual chin-up bar. You could either do pull-ups or neutral grip chin-ups (palms facing each other), but not regular chin-ups (palms facing the body). I've tried researching online, but couldn't find any answers.

Compared to regular chin-ups, what is the main difference in terms of what muscles get more/less emphasis?
    As you may know, "Regular" Chin-Ups and Neutral-grip Chin-Ups both target the lower lats because the elbows move up&down in more of a forward-backward motion (where's with Pull-Ups, the elbows move up&down with a side-to-side motion). So both types target the same area. However, the Supinated Chin-Ups involve a little more biceps and a little less pecs, while the Neutral-grip Chin-Ups involve a little more brachialis and a little more pecs. Hope this helps

Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have that problem too. What I usually is find a free squat rack and put the oly bar as high as it can go and do close grip chinups on it.

Christaras9 is just really nice. (+1000) Christaras9 is just really nice. (+1000) Christaras9 is just really nice. (+1000) Christaras9 is just really nice. (+1000) Christaras9 is just really nice. (+1000) Christaras9 is just really nice. (+1000) Christaras9 is just really nice. (+1000) Christaras9 is just really nice. (+1000) Christaras9 is just really nice. (+1000) Christaras9 is just really nice. (+1000) Christaras9 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The hammer grip chin up allows for the greatest range of motion for the lats so it's the best 'wing' builder pull up variation there is.
    It's also easy on the elbow
    The wide grip pull up places emphasis on the teres major and other muscles of the upper back while also depending on the lats as a prime mover but is generally putting stress on your elbows.
    The narrow grip pull up is,imho just stupid and uncomfortable while the chin up gives the biceps a good workout as well as being a good lat builder.
    Mix it up,find what works for you.
    And there's no lower and upper lats,unlike the chest it's one muscle.There are insertions and you can only grow the muscle with what you have.

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Neutral grip allows you to use heavier weight due to the movement placing the biceps in a stronger position than in pull ups. If you're trying to isolate your lats however then this will make little difference.

Do what feels comfortable to you.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

Starting the Slow Cut CertifiedMuscle's Avatar
    CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) CertifiedMuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Christaras9 View Post
    The hammer grip chin up allows for the greatest range of motion for the lats so it's the best 'wing' builder pull up variation there is.
    It's also easy on the elbow
    The wide grip pull up places emphasis on the teres major and other muscles of the upper back while also depending on the lats as a prime mover but is generally putting stress on your elbows.
    The narrow grip pull up is,imho just stupid and uncomfortable while the chin up gives the biceps a good workout as well as being a good lat builder.
    Mix it up,find what works for you.
    And there's no lower and upper lats,unlike the chest it's one muscle.There are insertions and you can only grow the muscle with what you have.

Yep, obviously the lats are one muscle just like the pecs. But just like the pecs, which can be targeted on upper and lower portions, the wide-grip moves activate mostly the upper lat fibers more, and the primary way to effectively activate the lower fibers (i.e., the fibers of the lower portion) is by doing supinated or neutral grip chin-ups.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    The mightiest of men are able to do pronated-grip chin ups. I wish I was one of them.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Chin-ups will incorporate a wider array of back muscles compared to pull-ups. If you are totally accustomed to pronated-grip vertical pulls, then the lat will get worked proficiently, without the arms tiring first. The lateral movement in pronated grip relies on the muscles at the outer edges of the back more, since the the shoulder's ability to stretch is exploited more.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Chin-ups will incorporate a wider array of back muscles compared to pull-ups.
    Like... lower pecs? What muscles does prone-pulling neglect that supine-pulling incorporates?

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    The lateral movement in pronated grip relies on the muscles at the outer edges of the back more, since the the shoulder's ability to stretch is exploited more.
    I don't understand what this means. Are you talking about glenohumeral dislocation? Or better upward rotation in scapula?

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    Like... lower pecs? What muscles does prone-pulling neglect that supine-pulling incorporates?
    I don't believe I ever said anything about emphasizing divisions of singular muscles.

Originally Posted by caaraa View Post
    Chin-ups will incorporate a wider array of back muscles compared to pull-ups.

[img]http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/22.gif[/img]
    [img]http://www.canadablackberry.com/imgs/images/2.tod.gif[/img]
    That's what I say!

GS what I meant is, when you say incorporate a wider array, that implies whatever gets incorporated is not incorporated in pull-ups.

So which muscles are not incorporated in the prone-grip pull-ups but are incorporated in your supine-grip chinups?

Not too sure exactly. I didn't quite mean that they aren't used in pull-ups, although it might depend upon experience as far as what I'm talking about. Lots of back muscles are used in vertical pulls, and rows. The leverage availability depends on how the ligaments in between, and including the back, and the arms line up.