TheresaD. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheresaD. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheresaD. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheresaD. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheresaD. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheresaD. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheresaD. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Silicone Breast implants and the body fat machine question

I don't know where to post this so sorry if its inappropriate. My question is, how accurate are the body fat machine things the trainers make you hold at the gym and does silicone implants effect their accuracy and does swelling from weight training effect them? Thanks anybody

xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    To the best of my knowledge you are not going to put a BF caliper on your breast directly (the 3 point test does not even come close to the breast, the other method seems to come closer to the armpit than the breast), so I cannot see it affecting the result.

And the skin and fat layer are above the muscle, so pulling up the skin and pinching it with the calipers will not be affected by muscle mass. In a more general sense gaining muscle will change your BF composition, but not in a way that would make your calipers inaccurate.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #37 ()---()

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't think shes is talking about calipers but one of those electrical impedance machines.

I think I recall reading that the implants (assuming silicone and not saline) would be counted as fat since it doesn't conduct electricity but rather impedes it like fat does. Muscle and water both conduct electricity. This is from memory and I don't know how accurate the source was. Hopefully, one of the members that is more versed in electrical engineering will chime in.

On another note, most of those machines are highly inaccurate. I bought one once and got readings that were all over the place in the same day (I found it useless and returned it). I wouldn't put much credence in them.

My understanding is that if you drink a lot of water you can throw them off.
    Last edited by dumb.bell; 02-24-2012 at 08:03 AM.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post

On another note, most of those machines are highly inaccurate. I bought one once and got reading that were all over the place in the same day (I found it useless and returned it). I wouldn't put much credence in them.
    This! I had one test done as a "promo" on a very high dollar machine for joining a gym. You held things in your hand and stood on other things... it said 7% BF! Yea yea the problem was my abs were barely showing so try at least double that reading in reality. I find the simple skin fold calipers to be much more accurate as an indication of if your loosing or gaining fat.

xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't think shes is talking about calipers but one of those electrical impedance machines.
    Well fudge, it would seem I imagined the word caliper lol.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #37 ()---()

esrevenge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esrevenge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esrevenge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esrevenge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esrevenge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esrevenge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esrevenge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esrevenge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esrevenge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esrevenge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esrevenge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TheresaD. View Post
    I don't know where to post this so sorry if its inappropriate. My question is, how accurate are the body fat machine things the trainers make you hold at the gym and does silicone implants effect their accuracy and does swelling from weight training effect them? Thanks anybody
    Please submit picture for evaluation. Then I can take a look and let you know.

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by esrevenge View Post
    Please submit picture for evaluation. Then I can take a look and let you know.
    I second this
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000)
    electrical machine says i'm 28% bodyfat. I am not that fat.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 12

https://www.youtube.com/user/solvedphysicsproblem

117 videos showing the solutions to all highschool physics problems that could possibly come up.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    those electrical devices are really only useful for trending, and only if you can do it at the same time every day like first thing in the morning, before shower/eating/drinking.

having a glass of water or two can wildly skew the results...so it might be all over the place by the time you're doing this in the gym. also if you're sweating, wet...you'll get different results.

you also get very different results depending on the angle you hold the thing from your body. how hard you squeeze it, if your arms are stright, there's a bunch of fudge factors.

it also won't be an accurate measurement compared with say a body fat caliper...so in short don't put too much stock in what the trainer tells you about body fat in the gym with one of those things.
    Last edited by Kodokan; 02-24-2012 at 06:56 AM.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It wouldn't be uncommon to be 10% BF with a bioelectric impedance device, 15% with calipers and 20% by dual energy x-ray.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

TheresaD. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheresaD. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheresaD. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheresaD. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheresaD. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheresaD. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheresaD. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I think I recall reading that the implants (assuming silicone and not saline) would be counted as fat since it doesn't conduct electricity but rather impedes it like fat does. Muscle and water both conduct electricity. This is from memory and I don't know how accurate the source was. Hopefully, one of the members that is more versed in electrical engineering will chime in.

On another note, most of those machines are highly inaccurate. I bought one once and got readings that were all over the place in the same day (I found it useless and returned it). I wouldn't put much credence in them.

My understanding is that if you drink a lot of water you can throw them off.
    Thanks for the info, yes 2 pounds of silicone is what I have Lol and I am definitely not trusting the machine again. That makes sense that it may count it as fat. Uggg I'm just going to go by my mirror and not obsess about numbers anymore. It just stresses me out.

Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    those electrical devices are really only useful for trending, and only if you can do it at the same time every day like first thing in the morning, before shower/eating/drinking.

having a glass of water or two can wildly skew the results...so it might be all over the place by the time you're doing this in the gym. also if you're sweating, wet...you'll get different results.

you also get very different results depending on the angle you hold the thing from your body. how hard you squeeze it, if your arms are stright, there's a bunch of fudge factors.

it also won't be an accurate measurement compared with say a body fat caliper...so in short don't put too much stock in what the trainer tells you about body fat in the gym with one of those things.
    Thank you, I'm not going to be using it anymore. My jeans are a good fat percentage calculator anyway Lol

rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I realize you said you weren't going to use one anymore but I thought I would throw my two cents in anyways. The silicone in your implants are incapsulated in a "plastic" type bag that will an insulator to the electrical impedance of the BF calculator. That being the case, your implants should make no difference in the readings from the machine. As already stated these machines aren't the most accurate your better off relying on a mirror or as you said your jeans.

Roxy85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roxy85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roxy85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roxy85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roxy85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roxy85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roxy85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roxy85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roxy85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roxy85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roxy85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It does.when I did my first"test" I didn't have the implants and the body fat was 14%.....after few months I did it again(but I had my "things done") it was 19.3%....and I didn't gain weight at all

rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Roxy85 View Post
    It does.when I did my first"test" I didn't have the implants and the body fat was 14%.....after few months I did it again(but I had my "things done") it was 19.3%....and I didn't gain weight at all
    Those type of body fat scales are highly inaccurate. If you "test" your bodyfat then drink a few glasses of water it is going to effect the reading. You could very well have been just better hydrated on your second reading.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #52 ▪█─────█▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #5 []---[]

HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thumbs way down on breast implants.
    {}---{} Best of the Best Machines and Free Weights Crew #1 {}---{}
    MXA------MEDX Avenger Crew #2------MXA
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #12 []---[]

KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by HealthNutMD View Post
    Thumbs way down on breast implants.
    I'm sure that's a good technique, and who am I to argue with a doctor, but I don't think it matters that much how you grab them.

Don't like implants anyway.

Cheers

🇱🇧 Lebanese Jesus 🇱🇧 dougefresh93's Avatar
    dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I know I'm the minority here but well done implants are better than nothing.

so 2 thumb up

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm more of a butt man. I can take or leave boobies.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TheresaD. View Post
    ...My jeans are a good fat percentage calculator anyway Lol
    Pics or it didn't happen. I am a child.

DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    I'm with P&I on that, rather have my face sat on then motorboat.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #37 []---[]
    ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #4──<//>─<\\>──

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dougefresh93 View Post
    I know I'm the minority here but well done implants are better than nothing.

so 2 thumb up

I'm pretty much with you...... although, my attitude is more of a "....once you've seen one pair of boobs, you pretty much want to see them all..."

I mean honestly, even given the chance to look at the most disgusting boobs available, I'm probably gonna at least take a peak. Just sayin'

Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    Originally Posted by DamonB82 View Post
    I'm with P&I on that, rather have my face sat on then motorboat.

Again...... butts, boobs, real boobs or fake....... naked women are just the coolest.

Originally Posted by KeithTheSnake View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen. I am a child.

Me too....which probably describes my other thoughts in this post. I'm pretty much a 12yo running around in a 41yo body.

My wife is usually embarrassed, but she knew me when I was 16.....so yea, that's her fault.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13