WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10)

WoS Body Comp Change Log - Back At It!

OK, so I haven't had a log in a while and I know I have several readers out there wondering where I've been...crickets....Anyway, this is more for me to try and hold myself accountable for my actions. If I get people on here to jump in and call me out or throw ideas my way great, otherwise the hope is I'll just feel like a sh!thead for not posting.

Quick update (since my last blog background) - body stats, 6'2" 190 lbs. I am a normal guy, house, wife, job in NYC (hour commute). This doesn't leave me much time to workout since I am not home from 7-7. In my line of work I also deal with a lot of clients directly which leads to lunches, happy hours and many late nights. Thus meaning, I eat terrible as well. I was doing P90x for a decent amount of time on and off (most consecutive days was about 35). I didn't follow the diet, but was "trying to eat better." I know P90x isn't the ideal workout on here, but it's what I thought best fit my needs. I could come home and do some sort of workout after dinner instead of going over to the gym. honestly, I liked it. it's a lot of body weight work, but also threw some weights in there as well. i will not elaborate further unless asked.

This leads me to where I am currently at. I started doing Crossfit back in October 2x per week. again, I know people hate it on here, but my neighbors all go and love it so I started with them and actually really like it as well (my wife started it with me as well). I am not a Crossfit junky and even on top of that the gym I go to is less traditioanl than the crossfit maniac gyms out there. My trainer is very, very strict on form and doing the workouts properly. My brother goes to your traditional Crossfit gym and he gets man handled every night to a point where it is stupid and ridiculous. A typical workout at my gym is heavy olympic weights followed by a 10-15 min burn out (flipping tires, pull ups, pushups, overhead presses, lighter deadlifts etc). I do this 2x per week, play basketball 1 night a week (2-3 hours) and will do my own workout 2x a week, I have a set up 35 lbs weight, a pull up bar and a jump rope, so i try and mix up anything I can to beat myself up. at worst I do push ups and situps everynight.

Diet - Ok, you're going to think I am a Crossfit crazy when I say it, but I am currently on the Paleo diet. No dairy, grains or legumes. I will state right now I am only doing it because we started a challenge in my gym for 2 months (ending on March 5th). I don't think I will keep it up after that, but it certainly taught me a lot about nutrition and showed myself I had the willpower to do somethign like this. I will go into more details of the diet if asked, but spare you the details here.

Doing all of the above has taken me from about 210 lbs on 10/1 to 190 lbs on 1/1. I have not weighed myself since we started our challenge, but based on visual appearance, I am down a bunch more. I have gone from a 36" waist to a 33/34". I feel like I am wearing my older borhters hand me down clothes at this point. I can see my top two abs and lost a lot in my face and upper body. I am about at the point where I don't want to lose any more weight and would liek to add more muscle to my now slimmer frame.

I currently only take whey only after my 2 Crossfit workouts (I know it's not paleo, but again I'm not a crazy gym head) and fish oil. I am now dabbling with the idea of creatine to help add bulk/muscle. I bought it, but am still so on the fence as to whether it is a good move or not? My weigh in for my challenge is on 3/5 so maybe after that as I don't want to alter my results. Any advice on the creatine, I'd love to hear it.

that should wrap it up for now any questions if you're reading feel free to jump in. Tonight is basketball, so no real report there on that. going forward i"ll post my diet and workouts and general activity in my life if it's noteworthy.
    WoS Blog
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142559161

I Rep Back

WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Day 2 - Friday in lent sucks for me. I am not a real big fish guy so with no pasta or meat it is a little tougher. working in NYC gives me the option of going to one of those buffets where they weigh your tray at the end to figure out cost. Can be pricey, but at least I am eating clean (or at least as close as possible). Bball was great last night, I got about 5 games in so it was a lot of running. Losing the wieght I have so far has made me quicker on the court and enhanced my ability to jump (I can now grab the rim again). however, being 6'2" I always have to cover the biggest guy on the other team, so since I've lost some weight it becomes more of a challenge down there throwing my weight around. I would like to get a good workout in tonight, but I have a work event tonight so I may be home late. worst case i will be doing pushups and situps. Ideally I want to do tri's and bi's, maybe some shoulder.

Foods today so far and planned:
    8:30 am 4 scrambled eggs
    9:00 am Blackberries (about 10)
    10am coffee
    10am banana
    10-1pm blackberries (about 10 spread out)
    1pm shrimp and broccoli (hot, mixed with that chinese sauce, I tried to scoop as little as possible) also took some baked salmon
    1-3pm blackberries (prob another 10)
    3:30pm apple
    7pm - looks like almond crusted flounder with vegatables (prob boiled carrots). Again this is if i don't stay late at work.

I am looking above and I feel this is pretty empty and need more food in there. I have a steamed veg bag at work I may throw in at about 3 if I am hungry. I also have about 15 almonds in my desk so if I'm hungry I may just dig in there.

No plans for the weekend should be nice relaxing.
    WoS Blog

I Rep Back

OK, I don' usually post during the weekend and that didn't alter this weekend. nothing too much to report from the weekend did push ups and sit ups fri night. Rested sat. here's my workout from Sunday:
    Bi's and Tri's
    3x10 Reverse grip chins
    3x10 hammer grip pulls/chins
    3x10 overhead tri extension (each arm)
    3x20 dips (on coffee table, feet on a chair)
    3x10 iso curl (each arm)
    3x10 tri kickbacks (each arm)
    curl drop set burn out
    abs - 47 sit ups in 2 mins.

My diet was good. followed a pretty strict paleo menu all weekend. My only exception was probably the mussels with a tomato basil sauce from Kings, but it was homemade so it most likely wasn't too bad. Oh, I also ate breaded pork chops sat night, but i scraped a majority of the breading off, but it still counts. i didn't drink at all, so that would takes it's place perhaps, haha. the worst part about the weekend was my wife got a 4 pack of cinnabuns......Holy sh!t, I wanted to cry. the smell lingered in the house all weekend and watching her eat them hurt me bad. I had to stay strong as I beleive this week is my final weigh in for my challenge (I think I get my 1st way in tonight, 1 of 3 to be averaged).

gym tonight at 7, but I won't know the workout until I get there so hopefully I remember the workout when I post tomorrow.
    Last edited by WaistofSpace; 02-28-2012 at 08:17 AM.
    WoS Blog

I Rep Back

OK, last night's workout was pretty cool. we did the old 300 workout. if you don't know what it is here is what I did:
    25 pull ups
    50 deadlifts (115 lbs)
    50 push ups
    50 box jumps (21" on a tire)
    50 Floor Wipers (115 lbs)
    50 DB Clean and Presses (1 arm 35lbs)
    25 pull ups

I completed the workout in 21:05. I think the best time in the class was around 16 mins so not too bad (for me). after this we did some jump roping and some group pushups (30).

Now, I know I said I do crossfit, but we're not crazy and this does look like a crazy cf workout, but most classes aren't like this. we just happen to be in a performance and nutrition challenge where he is doing a lot of these types of workouts to raise the cardio level.

As fo yesterdays food intake:
    830 - 4 eggs 2 sausages
    9 - about 20 blueberries
    10 - banana
    11 - about 10 blackberries
    1 - chicken and steak with a mixed veggie steamfresh bag
    330 - apple
    6 - paleo crunch mix (it's like almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins and some other stuff in chunks)
    9 whey shake with almond milk (i know not true paleo, but I always feel I have to, to keep my protein high fom the workouts like those)
    830 - chicken breast mixed with seasonings and added buffalo sauce with 1 avacado

No workouts tonight as i try and take tuesdays off because I go back to the gym Weds night and weds is usually our heavier wieghts night. I liek to be fresh. I may do some push ups and situps tongiht, but not many,maybe like as many as I can do for 2 mins for each exercise (i get my final test on those next week).

food will basically follow yesterdays meals with the exception of i'll be eating the leftover chicken and different veggies o maybe i'll go get another avacado? dinner will prob be steak and asparagus or beef stir fry (beef, pepper, onions).
    WoS Blog

I Rep Back

nothing real to report as of now. I am just trying to mak eposting a habit. ended up eating steak and asparagus last night. guess that means stir fry tonight. Workout tonight a 7 and it is my heavy day, but I don't know the workout until i go in. i am also going to have my first of 3 weigh ins. hoping to come in around 180-185.

i am feeling a little sick as well, throat is a little achey and some phlem, but more than that I'm tired as my body fights this. i hope it doesn't effect my workout too much. foods today:

4 eggs 2 sausage
    banana
    blueberries
    coffee (6oz black)
    leftover steak and a steamfresh bag of mixed veggies
    apple
    blackberries
    (maybe a Lara bar if i'm hungry, supposed to be fully paleo and 200 calories)
    WoS Blog

I Rep Back

Last night's workout:
    5 sets 3 reps Clean and Press - 145 lbs
    chinups superset with db shoulder press 35 lbs (held the db like a waiter's try and had to balance it)
    100ft farmer sprints (35 lbs), 10 db pullovers (35lbs), 10 db skull crushers (35lbs) all superset 3x
    10 db shoulder press (35lbs)100ft waiter walks (35lbs), 10 db clean & press (35lbs), shrugs superset 2x

Mostly my fore arms were beat up, but my shoudlers were torched as well. solid workout. 145 lbs C &P was a personal best so I was happy. i felt liek I may have been able to try for 150 or 155, but I wasn't feeling too well so I didnt go for it. i will hit it next time. I know it's not a lot of weight, but with dropping my weight, I am able to lift a little heavier, so that makes me happy (prob some noob gains). I got weighed and it looks promising, but I won't post my stats until Tues because we need to average my 3 weigh ins to get the final numbers. I may or may not do before after pics too, but not sure yet.

basketball tonight and most likely a very similar diet to yesterday. I try to eat a little mor eon worout days, especially bball day because of all the running. nothing else to report.
    WoS Blog

I Rep Back

Played basketball last night as expected. got stuck on a crapp team so i had to sit every other game. played for two hours. highlight of the night was the kid that puked rigth there on the court. all over the floor and himself, worst part was he ran out got paper towels cleaned it up (for the most part) and then wiped himself down and kept going. disgusting, i refused ot cover him or go near him.

When I got home I did pushups and situps before jumping in the shower just to get some more work in.

Tonight I will probably rest as I am going to the gym tomorrow morning (maybe do pushups and situps). My mother in law's bday is today, so we may go there tonight ot tomorrow night. Hoepfully tomorrow night as I still feel horrible. Plus I have a weigh in in the morning and we will prob have pizza for her bday. No meat today, so I brought extra fruits to the office. that's it i'm tired and don't feel like typing anymore.
    WoS Blog

I Rep Back

OK, a lot to catch up on from the weekend. I ate my 1st slice of pizza (3 total) on Fri night. Being lent on fri i couldn't eat meat, so it was really my only choice at my in laws. No big deal, I was done with my hardcore paleo diet anyway, so it was nice to have a break. I went to the gym sat morning and here was my workout:
    hand stand push up practice (about 10 total reps)
    10 min circuit focusing on form (1 rep each)- Bench 175 lbs, front squat 135 lbs, deadlift 175 lbs.
    I completed 16 rounds
    125lbs weight drags (crawling on stomach dragging a chain with the weight)

I feel like we did somthing else too, but I can't remember. Either way, it was nice to go heavy and rip through those exercises. I ate clean again on sat even though I wanted to have another cheat. i stayed strong.
    Sunday workout
    10 chin ups x3
    10 overhead tri push ups x3(prob a bettername for these)
    10 hammer grip pull ups x3
    20 dips (feat on a chair) x3
    10 iso curls x3
    12 skull crushers x3
    iso curl burn out

I did this workout at home and ate clean on Sun as well. however I did eat 3 french fries and maybe 5 potato chips (picked from my wife's plate). I am going to be sticking with a pretty much paleo diet from here until summer at least, but I am nto going to sress about it like I did before. If I want to eat somethgin or go to a restaurant, I am going to eat whatever I want. My main focus is paleo during the week and maybe a cheat or two on the weekend. Figure out of 21 meals per week (3 a day) if I can eat 18 of them paleo, then I will be fine.

Tonight is my final weigh in for my challenge so I can't wait to get this over and done with. I will post my final numbers tomorrow after I get all my numbers averaged. well, I hope I get them tonight, my trainer needs to put all the numbers together for me so I'll have it soon if not tonight.

Finally, I have started taking creatine now that I am going to the gym 3x per week and working out at home 1 or 2x. now that I have lost a significant amoutn of fat I want to build more muscle and get stronger. I am debating starting a log in the supp section, but it is just creatine so people may not care about it. Either way, I went with dymatize micronized mono creatine. it was on sale here on bb.com (buy 3 get one free), so I priced it out against the others (ON creatine was the other choice) and picked it based on price. I read a lot of reviews for each and both were virtually the same, so I went for the slightly cheaper option. I am not loading, so 1 time a day (after my workouts) I have taken it. I just put it in my protein shake and then chase it down with 8 sips of grape juice. If you have a better way let me know or youthink I'm doing somethign wrong, let me know.
    Last edited by WaistofSpace; 03-05-2012 at 06:43 AM.
    WoS Blog

I Rep Back

Monday night's workout:
    5 rounds of 6 reps - bb thrusters (115 lbs)
    10 min circuit - 2 mins db cross body clean & press (8 reps per side) 30 lbs followed by bb rows for 30 seconds
    russian swings - 200 (40 lbs)
    shoulder burn outs side raise, 20 reps 10lbs, 5 lbs, 2 1/2 lbs
    100 overhead spades (20 lbs)

pretty tough workout. heavy in the beginning (for me) followed by some heavy/lengthy exercises. My front deltoids were really killing me before we even started last night. I think they are hurting from the front squats I did on Sat. and what didn't help was the bi/tri workout I did on Sun. i need to fix the way I hold the weight, I beleive I used too much arms and didn't rest the bar on my shoulders like I should have. it was 1 rep, so I didn't take my time and focus on my hold, figuring i would just get by without switching my hands around. mistake! I couldn't really even do the shoulder raises at the end. needless to say I was pretty disappointed in myself because of that. first time I couldn't do something, arghhh. no workouts tonight. i am glad because my deltoids are really hurting me today again. I will prob ice them tonight as I go back for my heay workout Weds night followed by bball.

diet was clean today liek normal, so nothign there to report. I drank my creatine/protein mixture this morning as I am not planning on working out tonight. again, followed it with a 8 second chug of grape juice. The creatine mixes in pretty well with the shake. I woudl say there is some powder left at the bottom/sides of the glass, but overall not a lot. The creatine also makes the drink feel a little grainy, but I don't mind it. it feels just like sugar in my mouth, so it's not gross or anything, just something i notice.

Ok that's it. I will report back tomorrow.
    WoS Blog

I Rep Back

Didn't post yesterday as not much went on Tuesday. I will wrap up yesterday's workout and food.

I blew my diet open yesterday at lunch. On my walk to work I saw the waffles and dinges truck outside the office and decided if it was still there I'd hit it up for lunch. If you are unfamiliar, it is a truck that goes all around NYC and provides belgain waffles with anythgin you can imagine on them. i've only seen it on Food Network, so yesterday I went with a pulled pork belgian waffle...amazing. kept the rest of my foods clean all day.

workout:
    burpee followed by pull up - 30x
    Farmer walk - 120' (80 lbs)
    waiter walk - backwards 60', forward 60' (40 lbs)
    iso bench press with crunch - 15x each arm (40lbs)
    Farmer Walk - 120' (80 lbs)
    waiter walk - forward 120' (40 lbs)
    iso bench press - 30x (40lbs)
    alligator walk (walking with hands doing a push up each step) - 60'
    wheel barrows (partner holding feet) - 120'
    pop push ups (partner holding feet) - 10 pushups covering 20' 2x
    chin ups - as may as I can do in a row (11)
    pushups - 30 seconds (15)
    rack put backs (picking the db's off the floor and putting them back and removing again) 50 - 120 lbs

more of a crossfit workout this time. A lot of work, but felt good the entire time.
    After this I went and played bball for 2 hours. I was on a winning squad, so I never left the court (had about a 5 min break in btwn games each time). I ran a lot and felt pretty good going through this as well. I also played very well for some reason last night. my shot was on and I played solid D.

got home, drank my creatine protein mix and ate chicken drumsticks and went to bed as it was 11pm.

More bball tonight. I hope my game carriers over, but it will most likely go back into the tank as it usually does on a weekly basis. Plan on eatin clean all day today (already resisted the urge for a D&D coffee this morning).
    WoS Blog

I Rep Back

Weekend wrap up:
    I ate like a pig this weekend. Fri had 5 fried jumbo shrimp and carrots for lunch (lightly breaded). 3 slices Pizza for dinner. Sat - good during the day, but dinner I had fried calamari, keilbabsa and onions, 2 glasses of wine, 15oz ribeye with mushrooms and veg. Sun - beegos (spelling?) essentially it's a polish meal consisting of cabbage, chicken and keilbabsa. dinner - meatballs with brown gravy, a quarter of a cheese steak, more beegos, 6 scallops wrapped in bacon.
    I guess it wasn't that awful after looking at it, but i felt terrible sat night after dinner.

workouts for the weekend: my shoulders ares till bothering me, so i wanted to take it easy and skipped my fri and sun workouts. I did however workout on sat at the gym;
    handstand pracite
    wall climbs - push up postion facing away from wall and walk ur feet up the wall behind you until ou are in a handstand type position.
    2 rds iso db bench press into turkish get up. perform 5 reps bench (1 arm) and then on rep 5 stand up into a tgu. each rd was 25 bench each arm and 5 get ups. 1st rd 40lb, 2nd rd 30lb.
    3 rd - 25 bench press, then do 5 get ups each side (40lbs)
    barbell rollouts - half tabata - 20 secs on 10 secs off for 4 minutes.
    10 minute interval session - 5 hand stand push ups, 10 chin ups, 15 russian swings (40 lbs).

I pay a lot of money for this gym (the downside of crossfit type classes), but I feel like my shoulders really just need a break. when i pop 2 IBP the pain goes away and I feel fine when working out, I am just worreid about residual damage from pushing myself too hard and then having a more seriou problem on my hands. I can only workout on Mon and Weds this week, so i'll rest from thurs to next mon and hope that helps. I'm going to have to look up some shoulder stretches maybe i just need to loosen up. I'll do them on my days off perhaps.

back to eating right this week as I know I am going to have another hard weekend of eating. doing my taxes fri at m parents, which means pizza and sat night we have dinner plans with friends, which mean dinner and drinks (beer crowd).

workout tonight, mon is usually a heavier lifting day so i need to buck up.
    WoS Blog

I Rep Back

Food for Monday:
    clean. wife wanted mcdonald's for dinner, so i got it for her, but ate meatballs and carrots myself.
    workout:
    Handstand pushup practice
    bench press - 5 sets. gradual load up to 4x 185. 6th set reduce to 125lbs and did 9 as fast as possible
    3 rds farmer walks (90lbs db each hand) - 60'. rest 30 secs then overhead db press (40lbs)
    pushup and pull up routine - 1 push, 1 pull, 2 push 2 pull etc up to 10 reps each.

good workout. I feel it in my chest today. the onyl upsetting part is on my bench i felt like i could go a little heavier, but my right shoulder was feeling weak and that's where i was giving out first. due to my shoulder issue i assume. I will work out weds and then break until next monday and hope it helps.

nothing tonight. will continue to eat clean.
    WoS Blog

I Rep Back

Haven't posted in a week. Just lazy on my end. Time to catch up.
    Last week I worked out Weds.
    Turkish Get ups 60 lbs x 3 (each arm)
    Farmer Carries - 90 lbs each hand
    10 burpees x 3
    box jumps - 10 reps x 10
    Maybe some other exercise or two, but I don't remember. Then I played bball for abotu 2 hours.
    I took off of working out until last night, so about 4 days off to rest. It really helped my shoulders, as they feel so much betternow and I am experiencing no pain. Thank goodness because last night we hti them hard. i was nervous, but seem ok so far today. last night's workout:
    handstand practice
    Floor bench - 3 sets x3 (40, 60, 75)
    lying down pullovers - (85 lbs) 3 sets x10
    floor bench - keeping elbows tight to lats - 3 sets x 8 (60lbs)
    Medley - fireman carry - 100' (85 lbs), 10 pullups, 5 ring dips, fireman carry 100' (85) 2x
    20 ring pushups
    20 ring flies
    5 wide grip pull ups

diet - i am still eating relatively paleo, but on the weekend i did some cheating. ate Wendy's on Sunday for lunch (triple cheese burger, amazing, and a small fry). I followed that up with pizza for dinner. I felt like a whale late Sunday night. however, I ate clean yesterday and will again today. working out next on Weds.
    WoS Blog

I Rep Back

Been a while again. quick catch up;
    I don't remember all of my workouts going back, so i will start with Saturdays:
    DB Front Squats - 5 sets, 40lbs x 5, 60 lbs x 6, 40 lbs x 20, 40 lbs x 22, 30 lbs x 30 (each arm)
    heavy band squats, 3 sets - 10, 20, 21
    medicine ball toss - threw the ball over my head backwards going for height more than distance. 3 sets x 10 (40 lb ball)
    Sprints

Mon
    warm up - 10 chins, 10 pushups, 15 russian swings x3
    DB incline bench - 5 sets: 40 x 5, 55 x 5, 70 x 5, 75 x 3 (failed) 70 x 5 (lbs in each arm)
    strict overhead press - 40 lbs 3x10
    reverse grip db row - 40 lbs 3x 10
    33 barbell curls - tossing it and catching it, dont remember what that was called
    50 db spades - 40 lbs
    100 overhead medicine ball tosses against wall

my diet over the weekend was crap. I ate real bad fri - sunday night. i am trying to clean it back up and hopefully not blow the next weekend. During the week i am pretty on target with my diet. might do a light workout tonight as i hit it hard again on weds.
    WoS Blog

I Rep Back