Thread: end ab results

Bodhisativa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up end ab results

I like to look at the photo gallery female 20-39 to keep myself motivated. I always enlarge the pics if I see great glutes or abs because that's what I need the most work on. I've kind of noticed a trend with the six packs, however. On one hand you have the slimmer stomachs with a light six pack (shows more in certain lights because of the shadows cast) and then you have the women with the obvious abs. The ones with the obvious abs from a side view have a slight concave silhouette with their stomach. Is this because of training with heavy weights on abs or is it genetics?

I don't think it makes them look fat at all, it actually looks pretty hard core - it looks good. It's not the silhouette I'm going for, however. As much as I'd like to have really etched looking abs I'd sacrifice that for a certain aesthetic from the side.

I'm a LONG way off from that, I'm still in the beginning phases of shedding my initial fat before I get into the cut/bulk cycles the pros here do. But I wanted to find out now so I have a better idea of future training for myself and what I'd like to condition for now. While I'm lifting the light dumbbells NOW I like to picture the future me doing more advanced workouts (and looking fierce, of course! =P).

Thanks all!

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Bodhisativa View Post
    I like to look at the photo gallery female 20-39 to keep myself motivated. I always enlarge the pics if I see great glutes or abs because that's what I need the most work on. I've kind of noticed a trend with the six packs, however. On one hand you have the slimmer stomachs with a light six pack (shows more in certain lights because of the shadows cast) and then you have the women with the obvious abs. The ones with the obvious abs from a side view have a slight concave silhouette with their stomach. Is this because of training with heavy weights on abs or is it genetics?

I don't think it makes them look fat at all, it actually looks pretty hard core - it looks good. It's not the silhouette I'm going for, however. As much as I'd like to have really etched looking abs I'd sacrifice that for a certain aesthetic from the side.

I'm a LONG way off from that, I'm still in the beginning phases of shedding my initial fat before I get into the cut/bulk cycles the pros here do. But I wanted to find out now so I have a better idea of future training for myself and what I'd like to condition for now. While I'm lifting the light dumbbells NOW I like to picture the future me doing more advanced workouts (and looking fierce, of course! =P).

Thanks all!
    Abs are made in the kitchen and enhanced in the gym. I couldn't tell you whether it's hard work or genetics as I have a little way to go still before I see them. I know a lot of people on here only train abs once a week and have a good 6..... I train mine dedicated once a week but then compound lifts etc work abs anyway so.... Sorry not so helpful; I'm sure there will be some more answers of a more helpful nature soon

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm still in the beginning phases of shedding my initial fat before I get into the cut/bulk cycles the pros here do. But I wanted to find out now so I have a better idea of future training for myself and what I'd like to condition for now.
    you cannot 'condition' yourself for any particular look, other than in terms of amount of lean mass in relation to amount of bodyfat.

what your bodyparts will look like after you've added mass on them and shed the fat is determined by genetics and wholly individual.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    On one hand you have the slimmer stomachs with a light six pack (shows more in certain lights because of the shadows cast) and then you have the women with the obvious abs.
    That sounds like a bodyfat difference to me.

Originally Posted by wakechica View Post
    Abs are made in the kitchen and enhanced in the gym.

I'm thinking we should change that whole mantra to "abs are made in the gym and revealed in the kitchen" since there are a thousand Ihavelosttonsofweightbuthavenoabs threads lol.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

lSOFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) lSOFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) lSOFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) lSOFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) lSOFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) lSOFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) lSOFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) lSOFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) lSOFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) lSOFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) lSOFit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i think genetics has to do with that? I have always had a very visible 6 pack no matter how much i worked or didnt work them. and ive seen lots of girls that are as skinny or skinnier than me that have the flatter lighter lines, as if their abs were flatter and spread of more or something. I wish i knew the answer to this

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    I'm thinking we should change that whole mantra to "abs are made in the gym and revealed in the kitchen" since there are a thousand Ihavelosttonsofweightbuthavenoabs threads lol.
    lol. Don't chat to me about kitchens... I want one so I can eat better and eat what I want.

I feel so dirty, I had to have McDonalds today for lunch URGH. I could have had something healthier but I was so dam cold after being out on the lake (its like 45degrees here) and I wanted something to warm me up. I seriously got to do the bad thing and go work of some cals on the dreadmill later or it's me having a protein shake for dinner

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by lSOFit View Post
    i think genetics has to do with that? I have always had a very visible 6 pack no matter how much i worked or didnt work them. and ive seen lots of girls that are as skinny or skinnier than me that have the flatter lighter lines, as if their abs were flatter and spread of more or something. I wish i knew the answer to this
    genetics indeed rule in most departments.

or it is magic.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

Based on the replies I think I may have been misunderstood, or I might have just misundertand the answers. I might have not asked correctly - I should have said convex, not concave which I know completely reverses the meaning of my question and I apologize for that. I know how much of your abs show tends to rely on bodyfat percentage, and that it can vary for individuals.

When I had a low body fat percentage it was around the 15% range and I didn't have visible abs. I only had skin on my stomach because I couldn't pinch my stomach at all. But at the same time, almost all of my ab work was concentrating on the transversus abdominals that are underneath the muscles that make the visible six pack (the rectus abdominis) so even though my body fat was low, I wasn't really training the "six pack" muscles so even though I had virtually no fat on my stomach there really wasn't much to show.

So I guess what I'm really wondering is are the rectus abdominis muscles similar to biceps in that you can stack on more and more weight to make them grow in size? So when I see someone with a bulging six pack that actually protrudes an inch or so past their hip bones is it because they're training with a lot of weight or is it entirely a genetic thing? I've seen people with visible six packs that still have a relatively flat stomach that doesn't round out from the side but I've also seen people with visible six packs whose stomach is actually rounded out when you look at the side view of them. I'd like to eventually be in the physical condition to be able to train my stomach with weights but if that's what causes that look then I'd rather stick with my body weight on ab exercises.

I understand that I can't condition my body to be a different body but I can condition it to work with increasingly heavier weights over a period of time and if that's going to add growth I don't want, I'd like to know before I start doing that.

But, if it is entirely dependent on body type then it doesn't matter because I've already seen how I look with a low body fat percentage in the past and whether I like it or not that's how I will look when I get down to that percent again. =)

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by wakechica View Post
    lol. Don't chat to me about kitchens... I want one so I can eat better and eat what I want.

I feel so dirty, I had to have McDonalds today for lunch URGH. I could have had something healthier but I was so dam cold after being out on the lake (its like 45degrees here) and I wanted something to warm me up. I seriously got to do the bad thing and go work of some cals on the dreadmill later or it's me having a protein shake for dinner
    You know better than to use "dirty" and "bad" in connection with food in the same thread with Miranda and I.
    Besides, you can eat pretty decently at almost any fast food restaurant if you want to. I eat one or two of their grilled premium chicken sandwiches, hold the mayo. I take off one bun and use the lettuce for the top or if I eat two, I put them together. You can also order one grilled chicken sandwich one of their salads and plop the chicken on top of that. Or eat the french fries and a burger and fit it into your day.

... eventually be in the physical condition to be able to train my stomach with weights but if that's what causes that look then I'd rather stick with my body weight on ab exercises.

I understand that I can't condition my body to be a different body but I can condition it to work with increasingly heavier weights over a period of time and if that's going to add growth I don't want, I'd like to know before I start doing that.

But, if it is entirely dependent on body type then it doesn't matter because I've already seen how I look with a low body fat percentage in the past and whether I like it or not that's how I will look when I get down to that percent again. =)
    I know what you are saying. Many of us don't train abs directly or on their own because we do alot of compound lifting, which requires a good deal of core work. Once someone who has built decent muscle everywhere loses bodyfat, most will have abs under there even without "direct" work. Heavier weighted, low rep ab work can help build thickness to the abs and define the edges of the individual muscles. Of course the degree to which you can develop has genetic limitations, and the shape of the muscles are also determined by your genetics. Not many of us actually reach our full genetic potential tho.

The pooching out issue can happen with or without thicker abs. Some of that has to do with the individual's structure too, as well as the type of work they do. Some say vaccum exercises help prevent this. I personally struggle with lower cross syndrome in which I tend to have a pelvic tilt and relaxed core (and pooching out tummy) if I do not make a conscious effort to correct it.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post

I know what you are saying. Many of us don't train abs directly or on their own because we do alot of compound lifting, which requires a good deal of core work. Once someone who has built decent muscle everywhere loses bodyfat, most will have abs under there even without "direct" work. Heavier weighted, low rep ab work can help build thickness to the abs and define the edges of the individual muscles. Of course the degree to which you can develop has genetic limitations, and the shape of the muscles are also determined by your genetics. Not many of us actually reach our full genetic potential tho.

The pooching out issue can happen with or without thicker abs. Some of that has to do with the individual's structure too, as well as the type of work they do. Some say vaccum exercises help prevent this. I personally struggle with lower cross syndrome in which I tend to have a pelvic tilt and relaxed core (and pooching out tummy) if I do not make a conscious effort to correct it.
    Thanks! That's basically what I was trying to find out. I think it looks good on a lot of women - Jillian Michaels has a little bit of that in some photos and she looks hot! The singer Pink looks like that's just the way her body is made but that's why it fits her as well. To a certain amount on the right person I think it looks pretty good. I'm just so long and my shoulders and hip bones are broad even without fat adding to my width that I really don't think I'd wear those abs well. I want to shrink everything else in since my bones push me out enough in certain directions lol! If I were able to do lower reps with weights to work on my abs, and now I see why people would, I definately would want to wait until my body fat is low enough that I can keep an eye on it so if it exceeded my aesthetic goal I could quit before I got to far with it.