Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50)

A Martial Artist dives into Hell (SOLO HRT)

So, I've been digging around on BB for a while, mainly in the nutrition, sports, and fat loss areas. I ventured over here on a whim, and stumbled upon an AMAZING routine - HRT. I knew instantly that I was going to spend 12 weeks in hell.
    I've been studying Shaolin Kung Fu for 13 years now, but I slacked off for a few years and got fat (218lbs.) I cut on my own down to 180, and with the help of some members in fat loss, I dropped to 174 (Monday morning weigh in). My goals on HRT are to build some muscle and help cut further down into the 10% - 12% body fat range (currently ~17%). I've so far completed two days of the training (in conjunction with my typicaly MA training), and I'm loving it - it hurts so F%*$#$G GOOD!
    I discovered how much of a weakling I was when it came to weights haha. I'm going to log below, but I'm going to exclude warmup sets because typing them out is a waste of time haha.

Monday - 02/20/2012 - Day 1 of Hell ; Session 1
    Seated Front Press: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/120lbs - Done on a press machine since all the bars were in use when I got to the gym today.
    Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/20lbs
    Barbell Front Raise: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/15lb dumbbells
    Barbell Curl: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/45lbs
    Reverse Barbell Curl: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/45lbs
    Reverse Barbell Wrist Curl: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/just the bar (45 ish?)
    Barbell Wrist Curl: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/65lbs

Notes: In the weight tweaking phase ; have no idea of my 1RM, so I'm having to slowly dial it in. Some of the weights may need to go a little lighter so form isn't sacrificed (like the barbell curls) - I'll do a set at this weight next Monday and see if it's still bad. If it is, I'll dial back some.

huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50) huafist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Tuesday - 02/21/2012 - Day 2 of Hell; Session 2
    Seated Front Press: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/320lbs
    Hack Squat: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/330lbs - This was done on a leg press sled by putting my feet as high on the sled as possible to emulate a seated position because we don't have a hack squat machine - next week, I'm going to do free standing hack squats with a barbell. I know the weight will drop significantly.
    Leg Extension: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/200lbs
    Reverse Hack Squat: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/135lbs (SLDL)
    Lying Leg Curl: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/180lbs

Notes: Legs is BRUTAL! Loved every minute of it, but I'm going to do some tweaking next Tuesday.

BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sub'd! HRT Solo is the bees knees!

Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just started my Solo HRT to bro, will be checking in see how your doing compare stats as your around same as me
    ***AI Sports Maniac Log Running----http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143369613***

Thanks guys!
    I'm really looking forward to the next 12 weeks, it's going to be rough, but worth it!
    Here is a pic that I took a few minutes ago to show where I'm starting. Was 173lbs this morning.
    Attached Images

SquidC is a name known to all. (+5000) SquidC is a name known to all. (+5000) SquidC is a name known to all. (+5000) SquidC is a name known to all. (+5000) SquidC is a name known to all. (+5000) SquidC is a name known to all. (+5000) SquidC is a name known to all. (+5000) SquidC is a name known to all. (+5000) SquidC is a name known to all. (+5000) SquidC is a name known to all. (+5000) SquidC is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by huafist View Post
    Thanks guys!
    I'm really looking forward to the next 12 weeks, it's going to be rough, but worth it!
    Here is a pic that I took a few minutes ago to show where I'm starting. Was 173lbs this morning.
    Good start man, stick with it and you'll have an awesome progress pic to toss up at the end
    Force Factor Represntative
    www.forcefactor.com
    ----------------------------
    Yankton Sioux
    ***Check us out on BB.com***
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/force-factor/force-factor.htm

Originally Posted by SquidC View Post
    Good start man, stick with it and you'll have an awesome progress pic to toss up at the end
    Thanks man! I'm headed to the gym about 5:00 for Chest & Tri's, and I'll report between then and heading to the kung fu school for advanced class tonight.

Thursday, 02/23/2012 - Day 3 of Hell ; Chest & Tris

Decline Bench Press: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/135lbs
    Flat Bench Press: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/155lbs
    Incline Bench Press: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/135lbs
    Barbell Skull Crushers: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/65lbs
    Seated dumbbell tricep extensions: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/50lbs

Notes: I think I could get 155lbs on the incline ; I felt like I had a little more in me. I did 1 set at 155 on the flat bench, and was able to rep 8 reps at 185, but couldn't do the negatives, so I dropped back to 155 to finish. I REALLY need a partner. Scared a dude at the gym ; he saw me doing a set of the negatives on the decline, and ran to grab the bar to spot me because he thought I was losing it haha - I told him what I was doing and described it, and thanked him for the help.

Other notes: I'm embarrassingly weak hahaha.

Post Workout: 2 scoops of Body Fortress vanilla protein (52g protein) with 1/4 cup oats.

rbowman91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbowman91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbowman91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbowman91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbowman91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbowman91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbowman91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbowman91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbowman91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbowman91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbowman91 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Tom does some kind of martial arts as well. Might be cool to see if there is any correlation between your progression through HRT and your performance with your sport. Keep us all posted. Kill it bro.
    Hellcentrics Apprentice

NASM Certified Personal Trainer

NCCPT Gold's Gym Certified Personal Trainer

Originally Posted by rbowman91 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Tom does some kind of martial arts as well. Might be cool to see if there is any correlation between your progression through HRT and your performance with your sport. Keep us all posted. Kill it bro.
    That's badass if that's the case. I'm really hoping that the HRT program will improve my performance - that's one of the reasons I'm doing it (that, and I don't wanna look like a scarecrow as I lose more fat lol). What I can tell you is 60 seconds of nonstop pushups two hours after finishing HRT chest & triceps is friggin' brutal haha.

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    what do you study?

Originally Posted by blkbelt42 View Post
    what do you study?
    Hua (Longfist) primarily.

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    nice.

baguazhang
    hsing-i
    vingtsun
    7 star Mantis
    Muay Thai
    black dragon

for me

nice.

baguazhang
    hsing-i
    vingtsun
    7 star Mantis
    Muay Thai
    black dragon

for me
    That's awesome
    I've done some bagua and Hsing-I also, along with some Black Tiger, Mantis, and White Crane. I'm more of a Hua guy though

xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    nice.

baguazhang
    hsing-i
    vingtsun
    7 star Mantis
    Muay Thai
    black dragon

for me
    It's cool to see other chinese martial artists here.

I'm currently doing xing yi right now.

Subbed for results.

That's awesome
    I've done some bagua and Hsing-I also, along with some Black Tiger, Mantis, and White Crane. I'm more of a Hua guy though
    Originally Posted by xCody View Post
    It's cool to see other chinese martial artists here.

I'm currently doing xing yi right now.

Subbed for results.
    where are you training

where are you training
    I train at a little place in Morristown, TN called Mullins Shaolin.

xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    where are you training
    In Texas. My dad is teaching me.

I train at a little place in Morristown, TN called Mullins Shaolin.
    Cool. Do you compete or did you?

In Texas. My dad is teaching me.
    who did he learn from? Vince Black isn't out there is he?

Cool. Do you compete or did you?
    I haven't competed in a tournament since 2006 lol ; I'd like to again one day though.

Friday, 02/23/2012 - Session 4 of Hell ; Back, traps, delts, calves

Wide-grip lat pulldowns: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/80lbs
    Seated row: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/90lbs
    T-bar Row: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/90lbs
    Barbell Shrug: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/225lbs
    Rear Delt Raise: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/15lbs
    Seated Calf Raise: 2x 8 + 6 Neg w/240lbs (Calf raise sled machine, could've done more, and will next week)
    Calf extensions on leg press: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/360lbs

Notes: Once again, figuring out my weights. I'll be more dialed in all the way around next week. My delts have been neglected ; they're very weak. Hopefully I can fix that problem over the next 12 weeks!

who did he learn from? Vince Black isn't out there is he?
    I don't think so.

He learned from a student of the same teacher that Mike Patterson learned from. (not sure if you've heard of him, but he's pretty popular in TCMA.)

I don't think so.

He learned from a student of the same teacher that Mike Patterson learned from. (not sure if you've heard of him, but he's pretty popular in TCMA.)
    yes, i'm very familiar with Mike, i believe he and vince studied under the same teacher.

just noticed your age, dam, 15 and learning hsing-i, you need to stick with it for years
    dude, you'll be a machine by the time you hit 25. good luck with it.

yes, i'm very familiar with Mike, i believe he and vince studied under the same teacher.

just noticed your age, dam, 15 and learning hsing-i, you need to stick with it for years
    dude, you'll be a machine by the time you hit 25. good luck with it.
    Thanks. I'm hoping to learn Bagua soon, and maybe try to learn some Wing-Chun after that.

It's Monday morning, and my calf muscles are STILL SORE from Friday hahaha. Triceps were sore until last night from Thursday. Ate like crap over the weekend, so I've had to get back on the wagon this morning. I'll be hitting Hell Session I hard this evening after work. Looking forward to getting back in the gym after a weekend of laziness.

Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Elliot18 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Go hit the gym hard bro!, i was aching to over the weekend signs of a good hellcentric sesh!
    ***AI Sports Maniac Log Running----http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143369613***

Week 2, Monday, 02/27/2012 - Session I ; Shoulders & Arms

Seated Front Press: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/95lbs
    Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/20lbs
    Barbell Front Raise: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/35lbs
    Barbell Curl: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/45lbs
    Reverse Barbell Curl: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/45lbs
    Reverse Barbell Wrist Curl: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/25lbs
    Barbell Wrist Curl: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/45lbs

Notes: Felt kinda sickly before going in tonight ; began running a low-grade fever this afternoon @ work, and have been coughing and snotting all day. Was feeing kind of in a daze. After the seated press, I began feeling better. As I expected, moving from the machine to free weights for the overhead press caused me to drop some weight, but I'm ok with that. Wrist curls seemed harder this week ; I had to drop weight to make the reps with form. The curls felt better this week, and the pump was amazing. I'm going to bump the curls 5lbs - 10lbs next week and see how they feel. Overall, it was a GREAT workout!

Pre-Workout: 1 scoop MuscleTech NaNoVapor
    Post-Workout: 2 scoops Body Fortress protein (52g protein)

Week 2, Tuesday 02/28/2012 - Session II ; Quads & Hamstrings

Leg Press: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/360, 410lbs
    Hack Squat: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/280lbs
    Seated Leg Extension: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/200lbs
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/185lbs
    Hamstring Curl: 2 x 8 + 6 Neg w/180lbs

Notes: I was SET ON KILL when I got to the gym today! I was literally about to start bouncing off of the walls by the time I got there ; I couldn't wait. Upped the leg press to 410lbs, and dropped the hack squat weight back when I did actual hack squats vs the sled ; I knew that would happen. I definitely felt stronger than I did last week for Session II.

Pre-Workout: 1 scoop MuscleTech NaNoVapor
    Post-Workout: 2 scoops Body Fortress protein w/1/2 cup of oats

Some nice leg workout there bud! looks like your killing it!

Originally Posted by Elliot18 View Post
    Some nice leg workout there bud! looks like your killing it!
    Thanks man, I really felt good for that one. Did for today's, too!