dougsmith88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

very sore arms after first time on gym

Gday all.

5 Days ago I decided to get my life back in order, and become fit by doing a couple of days a week on the gym. I have dumbells, benchpress and curl bars to use.
    My workout was something like this -
    Stretches
    Bench press
    Bicep curls
    Shoulder raises
    Hammer curls.

Basically the workout lasted 20-30 mins.
    Afterwards I jumped straight into the pool to cool off. I felt really good all night but when I woke up was a different story.
    My arms were very sore the next morning and have been for the last 4 days. The part of my arms that are most sore is the part just above the elbow. I cannot even extend my arms out straight, it hurts like buggery. I am unable to push a mower or hold a grasscutter properly, which is what I've been doing for a living for the past 3 years.

Im here to ask, what would cause this? did I do something wrong? is this always going to happen after gym or will I get used to it?
    This is the first time I've ever used a gym aswell.

I'd appreciate all advice.

Cheers doug

AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Muscle tears, muscle inflammation.

Go see a doctor bro.
    notsrs.

Look up DOMS. Expect it to happen after every work out especially starting out.
    http://tiny.cc/GoldenEra

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hehe

izeey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) izeey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) izeey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) izeey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) izeey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) izeey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) izeey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) izeey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) izeey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) izeey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) izeey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dougsmith88 View Post
    Gday all.

5 Days ago I decided to get my life back in order, and become fit by doing a couple of days a week on the gym. I have dumbells, benchpress and curl bars to use.
    My workout was something like this -
    Stretches
    Bench press
    Bicep curls
    Shoulder raises
    Hammer curls.

Basically the workout lasted 20-30 mins.
    Afterwards I jumped straight into the pool to cool off. I felt really good all night but when I woke up was a different story.
    My arms were very sore the next morning and have been for the last 4 days. The part of my arms that are most sore is the part just above the elbow. I cannot even extend my arms out straight, it hurts like buggery. I am unable to push a mower or hold a grasscutter properly, which is what I've been doing for a living for the past 3 years.

Im here to ask, what would cause this? did I do something wrong? is this always going to happen after gym or will I get used to it?
    This is the first time I've ever used a gym aswell.

I'd appreciate all advice.

Cheers doug
    You've obviously stressed your muscles, which isn't a bad thing. Just make sure you get enough calories/protein and rest.

RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You will experience DOMS pretty much after every workout when you first start out. This can last anywhere up to 6 months before they start becoming relatively rare and you body adjusts.

This still controversy as to exactly how long DOMS can last from a single workout. Common thinking is between 48 and 96 hours whilst others claim the effect can still be present 2 weeks later.

If you still have pain after 5 full days and it’s not showing signs of easing then visit your doc, it's possible (although sounds unlikely) you may have a small tear.
    Train hard, eat well, get plenty sleep - repeat

Overloads has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Overloads has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    its normal for that to happen since its the first time at a gym. Its normal, and will stop soon (2-3 weeks)
    Jake ~

terahammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) terahammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) terahammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) terahammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) terahammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) terahammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) terahammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) terahammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) terahammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) terahammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) terahammer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    first 3-4 weeks will be sore sore sore sore. eventually it goes lesser lesser lesser and lesser
    but major soreness will be always at the start

TrainEatRest has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrainEatRest has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrainEatRest has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Soon you'll come to love that feeling and be proud of it ..