Borschtbeet is not very well liked. (-100) Borschtbeet is not very well liked. (-100) Borschtbeet is not very well liked. (-100) Borschtbeet is not very well liked. (-100) Borschtbeet is not very well liked. (-100) Borschtbeet is not very well liked. (-100) Borschtbeet is not very well liked. (-100) Borschtbeet is not very well liked. (-100) Borschtbeet is not very well liked. (-100) Borschtbeet is not very well liked. (-100) Borschtbeet is not very well liked. (-100)

Why is pyramid training with the dead lift a bad idea?

I have been with a client for 3 months and am training her based on the periodization guidelines of the NSCA. I started off with some corrective exercise, and then muscular endurance and now muscular hypertrophy.

For the deadlift, I start at 55-65 percent of her 1RM and have her do 12 reps and then gradually increase the intensity while reducing the volume for 2-4 reps, about 3 times per week while giving her a deload week every 3rd week or so.

However, now a girl who saw me training her told me "you know you're never supposed to do more than 8 reps of the dead lift." I asked her why and she just told me it's because of what some other trainer told me.

If I'm doing it wrong, I'd like to know. What would you guys suggest.

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As long as her form is spot on, there is no reason why high rep deadlifts are a bad idea.

I have heard this argument a few times, the reason against high rep work is that certain muscles (specially the spinal erectors) might fatigued which would lead to a deterioration of form (technical failure) but with a rep scheme to meet, some trainees would push through to hit their targets, putting them in high risk of injury.
    "Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

jendzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) jendzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) jendzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) jendzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) jendzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) jendzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) jendzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) jendzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) jendzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) jendzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) jendzel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't think there's any good reason beyond breakdown of form. As long as the client maintains proper form, hitting hypertrophy reps of deadlifts should be fine. Is it still bro-science if it comes from a chick?

jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is your client an athlete? If not, you really don't need to periodize for her, tbh.

Strong just got Stronger 7399martyn's Avatar
    7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jeffsmith2 View Post
    Is your client an athlete? If not, you really don't need to periodize for her, tbh.
    pyramid, not periodize.
    Powerlifter at PTC Performance Training Centre

661 squat, 385 bench, 705 deadlift, 1752lb total.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVx1ANJc7lc

ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What's concerning is how many times per week she is deadlifting, especially in the 2-4 rep range.

jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 7399martyn View Post
    pyramid, not periodize.
    I have been with a client for 3 months and am training her based on the periodization guidelines of the NSCA.

These are the OP's own words...

untranslated is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) untranslated is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) untranslated is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) untranslated is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) untranslated is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) untranslated is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) untranslated is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) untranslated is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) untranslated is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) untranslated is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) untranslated is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Nothing wrong with im also assuming pyramids with deadlift, 10 Reps at 50% Max for 5 Sets is even fine, someone saying never do more than 8 reps is a retard

bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    as long as form stays okay i dont see a problem

Adrianorizzo92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Borschtbeet View Post
    I have been with a client for 3 months and am training her based on the periodization guidelines of the NSCA. I started off with some corrective exercise, and then muscular endurance and now muscular hypertrophy.

For the deadlift, I start at 55-65 percent of her 1RM and have her do 12 reps and then gradually increase the intensity while reducing the volume for 2-4 reps, about 3 times per week while giving her a deload week every 3rd week or so.

However, now a girl who saw me training her told me "you know you're never supposed to do more than 8 reps of the dead lift." I asked her why and she just told me it's because of what some other trainer told me.

Yeah that girl first off shouldnt be confronting you with an issue about training techniques she heard from another trainer and not tried to research herself doing 100 deadlifts is fine even 1000 if done with correct form as said in the above post go with what youve researched and you should be fine aslong as you have proof and tried and tested methods of what you are making your clients do but otherwise if you havent researched or have researched but havent put into practice id say stick with what you know...
    if your training in a strength range 1-4 reps i would suggest backing off that method and try for period that start at much higher reps so you finish and do most of your rep in hypertrophic range unless your client wants to be stronger with minimal change to body composition... hope i helped

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Borschtbeet: Sounds like you have no confidance in your method. Some random person comes up to you and says a trainer told her that was wrong and you don't laught her out of the gym.
    You will go nuts worring about all the BS out there, what are you going to do when someone tells you that squating is the worst excersise for knees or you should never touch your chest with with the bar when benching.

Crazy as a **** house rat YoBigFatMomma's Avatar
    YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There's nothing necessarily wrong with high rep deadlifts (they hurt my back for some reason) but there is with having someone deadlift at a high intensity 3x a week. It's also more volume than I think is necessary, warming up to one max effort set 1-2x per week is enough for most people.
    385/245/485 @ 210

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
    <|>
    ┌8====D
    ⌡ \

Jrosenfeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrosenfeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrosenfeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrosenfeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrosenfeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrosenfeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrosenfeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrosenfeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrosenfeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrosenfeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jrosenfeld is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If done responsable theres nothing wrong...

samos is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You can do, but generally higher reps + fatigue = loss of form = ^ risk of injury. But there's no reason why it can't be done.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i find it more interesting that some random person tells him hes wrong and he goes into a tail spin. If your going to train people then you have to be able to defend your methods and that takes knowledge. Personaly I have reached a point when people tell me thing like that I just laugh at them an ask did you hear that in womens day or mens fitness or just pull that out of your a**. so far I've not had any one question me a second time on what I do. Sounds rude but most of them go back quietly to the smith machine and leave me alone.

MrNutriFit100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "Do I come to your office and tell you that they make the fries differently at burger king than they do here". Be confident, stay strong.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Honestly I think if you have to ask you shouldn't be training anyone..

and judging by some answers neither should a good percentge of the people who responded here
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

Registered physio(almost) wjs010's Avatar
    wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Tell her you're nsca certified and not to worry. She's in good hands. You could actually one up her by explaining the biomechanics of the dead lift and using the proper anatomical terms. Maybe shed be like umm Ohh yea maybe that other trainer WAS full of ****.

alfredofatale is on a distinguished road. (+10) alfredofatale is on a distinguished road. (+10) alfredofatale is on a distinguished road. (+10) alfredofatale is on a distinguished road. (+10) alfredofatale is on a distinguished road. (+10) alfredofatale is on a distinguished road. (+10) alfredofatale is on a distinguished road. (+10) alfredofatale is on a distinguished road. (+10) alfredofatale is on a distinguished road. (+10) alfredofatale is on a distinguished road. (+10) alfredofatale is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'd stay clear of the deadlifts for a client unless they're well-trained up. Too many small factors that could get them hurt. As far as the reps, nothing wrong with high reps as long as the technique is spot on. A warning though, deadlifts are definitely NOT the best exercise to take a client to failure on. If their mental fortitude breaks for one second with heavy weight, they could get snapped up for good!

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If this client is a new trainee of 3 months then her capacity to lose huge weight on the deadlift isn't there yet (with good form). She is still building a lot of technique and neural connection to the DL so higher reps are good for practice/repetition until the DL becomes natural to her. Nothing wrong with training high repetitions of any exercise. IMO, the DL is better and more fun to train for strength a majority of the time.

TrimLines is not very helpful. (-500) TrimLines is not very helpful. (-500) TrimLines is not very helpful. (-500) TrimLines is not very helpful. (-500) TrimLines is not very helpful. (-500) TrimLines is not very helpful. (-500) TrimLines is not very helpful. (-500) TrimLines is not very helpful. (-500) TrimLines is not very helpful. (-500) TrimLines is not very helpful. (-500) TrimLines is not very helpful. (-500)
    It is not inherently wrong to train higher reps for deadlifts but it is not the intention of the exercise. It erks me the same way doing high rep clean and jerks in crossfit does. These exercises and done to develop power in the posterior chain which are muscles composed more densely of fast twitch fibers which will react better to certain training stimuli. The client will certainly be more likely to break form once these fibers are quickly exhausted. You should understand that not all muscles in the body are composed of the same fiber structure and understand the purpose of each muscle. It can easily be understood by seeing the difference in the composure of the soleus (slow twitch dominant because it is used for body stability when standing long durations) and the gastrocnemius (fast twitch used to explode ie sprinting). Muscles arent just muscles and they all shouldnt be trained the same way.