effang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What happens to excess protein?

Hello, I've recently started exercising and working out. I have been taking 100% whey protein as a supplement. I have heard that excess protein is not absorbed by the body.

My main concern is that I am trying to lose weight and increase muscle mass. So, while it would be nice to max out on protein each day, I want to know the following...

1. if you can only absorb so much protein in a day, and the excess protein is not absorbed, are those calories tied to that protein also not absorbed?
    2. i am currently taking 1 scoop of 100% whey protein with 8 ounces of water. But I think I can do better than that. I am eating a lot of greens, some whole grains, and not much meat, and instead using eggs and protein powder for the majority of my protein needs...is this ok?

I am having a half shake for breakfast, and another 3/4 shake after my 2.5 mile run / weight lifting. I am mostly using the protein as a muscle rebuilder, rather than bulking up (which I hope to do after i start losing more fat).

Thanks!

EricTheRed is just really nice. (+1000) EricTheRed is just really nice. (+1000) EricTheRed is just really nice. (+1000) EricTheRed is just really nice. (+1000) EricTheRed is just really nice. (+1000) EricTheRed is just really nice. (+1000) EricTheRed is just really nice. (+1000) EricTheRed is just really nice. (+1000) EricTheRed is just really nice. (+1000) EricTheRed is just really nice. (+1000) EricTheRed is just really nice. (+1000)
    when your cutting weight your protein intake should be higher then normal anyways to help prevent your body from going into a catabolic state.

PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PuZo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by effang View Post
    Hello, I've recently started exercising and working out. I have been taking 100% whey protein as a supplement. I have heard that excess protein is not absorbed by the body.

My main concern is that I am trying to lose weight and increase muscle mass. So, while it would be nice to max out on protein each day, I want to know the following...

1. if you can only absorb so much protein in a day, and the excess protein is not absorbed, are those calories tied to that protein also not absorbed?
    2. i am currently taking 1 scoop of 100% whey protein with 8 ounces of water. But I think I can do better than that. I am eating a lot of greens, some whole grains, and not much meat, and instead using eggs and protein powder for the majority of my protein needs...is this ok?

I am having a half shake for breakfast, and another 3/4 shake after my 2.5 mile run / weight lifting. I am mostly using the protein as a muscle rebuilder, rather than bulking up (which I hope to do after i start losing more fat).

Thanks!
    Your body will use what it needs. If you are referring to what amount per sitting or per hour, that figure is irrelevant for the most part. If you eat 50g of protein during a meal, your body will utilize that 50g.

HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What happens when you consume excess protein? That's easy, and your body will tell you. The dead giveaway is the uncontrollable farting. The type that can clear a room. You can walk away for 20 minutes, come back into that room and it will still stink. You guys know what I'm talking about, and anyone saying they don't is lying. You know- how you feel the only way to clean your pants is by setting them on fire? Yeah, that's excess protein.

effang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok, so i crap out the excess protein. Does that mean that 150 calories associated with that protein intake is also crapped out?

HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000) HulkingBrute is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That's a good question. I'm sure you lose a lot of calories if you get the protein dumps. Try mixing the protein into food, like yogurt, cottage cheese, bake with it, etc. Even flavor coffee with it. If you mix it into food and eat it instead of slamming down a 50-gram watery shake, it will be less eager to explode out of your a$$. Plus for what you pay for protein, it damn well better absorb into your system. Ever since I started putting protein into food my stomach has thanked me, and my gains have been phenomenal.

Bottom line, make the protein more slow-digesting and more of it will not become "excess". It will be usable.