timbo13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sports Hernia Log, Advice needed!!!

Hi all,

For the last 6 months I have been struggling with groin pain. I saw several doctors who confirmed I had no hernia, before seeing 2 physiotherapists, neither of whome managed to cure the pain I was suffering. I stopped working out and playing football months ago, and I am still in the same pain. Now 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a sports hernia from an Orthopedist, who has refered me to a general surgeon to organise having Laparoscopic surgery to solve the problem.

A brief history is that I am currently 140 lbs and 6"2, a couple of years ago I was 180 lbs with the same body fat but a knee injury and then this has caused me to loose all the weight I had managed to put on.

Not being able to return to the gym has me about ready to take a dive of a cliff, and after hours of trawling through the net I have found countless reports of people who have had sports hernia surgery and have not been able to return to the sports or weights they previously had.

Has anyone had any experiance with sports hernia's ( also known as gilmour's groin or athletic pubalgia ) and can give me some advice? Anything would be greatly appreciated. I noticed a lot of people commenting on other forums they believed they had a sports hernia after only 1 or 2 weeks of them first feeling groin pain, and from what I have found out so far it seems like at that stage its far more likely to be a groin strain.

One final point is has anyone tried fixing a sports hernia with just rehab?

I intend to use this thread as a log of my progress so anyone else suffering with the same problem can hopefully get something from it.

Thanks, Tim

Austinp55 is just really nice. (+1000) Austinp55 is just really nice. (+1000) Austinp55 is just really nice. (+1000) Austinp55 is just really nice. (+1000) Austinp55 is just really nice. (+1000) Austinp55 is just really nice. (+1000) Austinp55 is just really nice. (+1000) Austinp55 is just really nice. (+1000) Austinp55 is just really nice. (+1000) Austinp55 is just really nice. (+1000) Austinp55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    did you pull or tear ligaments or mucles in it?

A sports hernia is classed one or more of the following.

-torn external oblique aponeurosis
    -tear in the conjoint tendon
    -conjoint tendon torn from pubic tubercle
    -dehiscence between conjoined tendon and inguinal ligament
    -tear in the fascia transversalis[6]
    -abnormal insertion of the rectus abdominis muscle
    -tear of the abdominal internal oblique muscle from the pubic tubercle
    -entrapment of the ilioinguinal nerve or genitofemoral nerve[7]

Anyone with any experiance with sports hernia's to share at all would be much appreciated!

Getting my Durantula on FryDude's Avatar
    FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    On the saggital sequences obtained through the pubis, there is a tiny focus of increased signal at the rectus insertion/hip adductor origin. This measures about 3x1 mm in size and is compatible with a tiny tear.

The ultrasound guy thought it was an inguinal hernia and my physio thinks it's a sports hernia. I'm doing tons of core and hip stability work and tbh I can't say I've noticed any noticeable improvements.

Have you had an MRI scan? Im hoping to have one ASAP through private healthcare, as I hear this is a more accurate diagnosis of whats going on. How long have you been suffering pain? Have you continued to lift weights?

I have been doing a lot of core and hip stability too with limited improvements, everytime I start to think it's improving I have a bad day where its sore all the time. Only time it improves is if i spend a few days in bed, but it soon returns to normal...

sb97504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sb97504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The symptoms described might be the beginnings of a hernia. Let's be specific: I am talking about an ache or pain to the right or left of, and slightly below the upper edge of, the pubic bone. This might or might not be accompanied by a slight bulge. I had these symptoms for many months, and it finally turned into a full hernia. Search under "groin pain" for my post dated 1-28-2012.

I cannot contradict your medical doctor, who has recommended surgery. Also, your symptoms do not appear to have improved with rest. Therefore, the steps mentioned below unfortunately might not apply to you. Nevertheless, for general information I repeat the steps here (from my 1-28-2012 post).

If you have these symptoms:
    1. Stop any exercises/activities that are causing or aggravating the symptoms;
    2. See a doctor to check for hernia or other serious medical condition (you appear to have already done this);
    3. Even if the doctor finds nothing, still give the area a rest and wait for the symptoms to go away;
    4. When symptoms are gone, experiment with doctor-approved rehab exercises such as planks and pikes with the stability ball or with suspension straps. Warning: you must assume the risk of these exercises, which might include back injury or even aggravation of any hernia;
    5. After the area is strengthened, gradually resume normal routine, assuming it can be done without a return of the symptoms.

Good luck.
    Last edited by sb97504; 02-23-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: add word "full" and inserted second paragraph

Thanks for the reply SB.

I stopped all sport/lifting around 5 months ago, and the symptoms have not changed whatsoever, which implies I think the problem isnt going to go away without some kind of change. I have seen 3 doctors, all of whom say they can see no sign of an actual hernia, hence they're belief its a "sports hernia".

Anyone else had any experiance with sports hernia's or groin pain that wont go away?

ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have a sports hernia. I played professional soccer and had to "retire" because of it. I may opt for the surgery, but for many personal reasons I have not yet. Namely, I own a business that I cannot currently take time away from.

My experience was that I had constant groin paid that was aggravated by fast running (soccer). It often felt like testicle pain and ached through my abdominal wall as well. Sneezing, coughing, laughing, and running were very painful.

If I do not run, I am able to live a painfree life. I can lift without restrictions and experience no pain lifting (as long as I am not also running). The sports medicine doctor said that surgery was the only option, and that playing soccer (if I could bear the excruciating pain, which I could not ) would NOT make it worse, and that NOT playing soccer would NOT make it better. I rested for 6 months from running in which I felt great. I decided to play a friendly match and experience no pain during the match.

The next day I woke up in excruciating pain and it lingered for about a week. I have not ran since. I lift five days per week currently.

I am trying Super Cissus Rx in the meantime. I am one week into my experiment. I am not expecting a miracle, but I figure it is worth the small investment.

Thanks Eric,

It seems your symptoms are slightly differant from mine, but yours if anything seem like a more stereotypical sports hernia. Lifting anything heavy leaves me in discomfort almost instantly, and sitting for prolonged periods (especially driving) causes me to get a dull ache that can be quite painful. I would say I am in some degree of groin pain 80-90% of the time I am awake, despite having given up all physical activity months ago.

In the month or so after the pain came on, I did continue to play football and I found myself sore and stiff for several days afterwards, much worse then the dull ache when I am not playing at all.

Did you have a scan? Has lifting anything heavy such as dead lifts or squats caused any discomfort? I'm scared to go back to lifting incase I make it worse...

ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had a preliminary MRI and XRAY that confirmed the sports hernia but I need additional MRIs/arthograms for their surgery preparation.

I squat full ROM and deadlift heavy every week no problems or pain.

sb97504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sb97504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To timbo13 and ericmackcarter:

Both of you seem to have symptoms that get worse with certain activities and then improve when those activities are stopped. This suggests that changing your lifestyle to scrupulously avoid bad activities might eventually get you to the point where you could start rehab exercises. I believe sitting is bad because it requires your fascia to hold your guts in without the normal muscle tone present when one is standing. I also think that swimming is a good alternative exercise because you are in a prone position and also the water pressure somewhat counteracts intra-abdominal pressure.

Not sitting down would certaintly be a problem, I prob spend around a minimum of 6 hours a day sitting at a computer during the week.

Has anyone else had surgery or rehab for a sports hernia? Eric the fact you can lift weights painfree seems to suggest our problems are very differant, I wonder if a sports hernia can vary that much, or if one of us has something else...

I do think it can vary person to person as the list of symptoms and causes is lengthy. Remember a sports hernia is not actually a true hernia. But I do definitely have a sports hernia as my team doctor who is considered a top sports medicine doctor in the area or country even has diagnosed.

anyone else got any experiance with sports hernia's?

InfernoN7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by timbo13 View Post
    anyone else got any experiance with sports hernia's?
    I was diagnosed with 2 hernias on the lower section left and right side (right side was pretty massive) + bowel syndrome. I had never any issues with my lifting or my martial arts though only the chest day was feeling a bit rough the day after and sometimes i was feeling it on my balls and leg. 6 days ago i took the step for a surgery . Now post surgery i can barely stand i feel like im useless the pain is unbearable and i cant even walk or eat cause im bloated as ****. I didnt believe it but now yes i agree with some comments that after the surgery you can never be 100% again. Sports hernias are bad and yes they can cause serious health problems only if u live a careless sports life But all this post surgery pain and becoming out of ur condition for a really long time..is it really worth it?

Iuke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know this thread is YEARS old but I'm experiencing the same thing as you Tim. I'm getting an MRI this week to confirm it. What ended up happening to you?

ladd1985 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    To re-ignite an old thread...

Having gone from going to the gym four-five times a week plus football (soccer) I have had to pause all exercise due to similar pain.

Whilst I could tolerate the pain in the gym to an extent, even doing tricep pull downs were hurting my core.

The most pain came from playing football. I’d go through the warm up, stretch and then as soon as a kicked the ball, or had a shot I get a ripping sensation in my lower abs and groin area which spreads to the abductors in both legs. I’d stupidly try and get through the rest of the game which was painful.

Come the next day i’m I’m no mood to move. My lower abs, groin and legs are so sore I have barely move. The pain lasts several days and then I recover and feel ok... so of course I’ll go to football and as soon as I take the first kick...the pain is back!

The pain while sore is awful, it is even painful to just turn over in bed, let alone sit up.

After two months of this, I went to the Doctors who referred me for an ultrasound which come back ‘borderline’.

I’ve since had an MRI scan, but I’m impatiently awaiting results. With it being flu season, the Doctor has been too busy to look at my scan, whilst is frustrating as I want to start the path to recovery and get back in the gym, however I accept that my injury is not a priority in comparison to most.

It will be 6 weeks since my scan this week, and while I’ve got a slight pain in the groin I’ll going to attempt the gym tomorrow for the first time nearly two months and see how it reacts.

I could be in danger of pushing the reset button on my recovery or I could of been over-resting for no real reason.

I’m worried the MRI will not show up an issues with my injury and i’ll be left in limbo and to just deal with it. Anyone else in this boat?

Dave2283 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Sportsman’s hernia

Hi I know this as an old thread , has anyone any further input into the condition? ,recovery? Etc
    Where you able to squat and deadlift again?
    I’m awaiting consultation for suspected double sports hernia