euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Why am I so weak during planks?

I do planks twice a week and I struggle to get past 1 minute even though I have been doing them for a few years. I see other people do them much more easily even 'unfit' people who never train can do them longer and easier than me! After about 30 seconds I start shaking and it gets extremely hard to stay up. Any suggestions on why this is happening and how I can work on getting my core stronger to be able to stay planking longer?

Betty300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Betty300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have exactly the same problem...at least I'm not by myself...are you talking about plants on your forearms? Cause those are the ones I struggle with..
    Cheers
    Betty :o)

SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Are you doing other exercises that work your core a lot (ex compound lifts are good for this)? You can also try different variations of the plank, doing them on your side, with a leg raised, use a swiss ball, if you have access to trx bands then there are excellent ways to work your core using that.

I don't typically work my core directly but have found that heavy compound lifting has increased it quite a bit.

ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SilverSun View Post
    Are you doing other exercises that work your core a lot (ex compound lifts are good for this)? You can also try different variations of the plank, doing them on your side, with a leg raised, use a swiss ball, if you have access to trx bands then there are excellent ways to work your core using that.

I don't typically work my core directly but have found that heavy compound lifting has increased it quite a bit.
    ^^ I never was really good at planks. My trainer made me do a ''rolling plank'' (so he called) every day and it got much better. Basically he had me put my feet on a stability ball and roll from Hand plank to forearm plank for 2 minutes. He also made me do pushups hands on a stability ball and feet on a plyometric box or bench (now that was quite challenging for my core, as you really need to focus to keep your body straight)

I know that these two moves got my core stonger and helped me keep the plank (I am pretty sure the rest of my training also helped too) but I can hold any type of plank very well for a long period now without any issues
    ''Remember where you are posting (ie a body building forum) and the audience who is going to reply. If you just want someone to tell you you’re pretty, you’re slim/toned, ripped or correct in your craziness then please post somewhere else. '' ~Kjake55

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    We are doing a plank challenge right now in an abs class I take. I've held one for 9 minutes. What has helped immensely is to make a conscious effort to hold everything tight. Your shoulders sort of start to give out before you realize. If you are holding everything tight consciously, you sort of just let the shakes settle in. I sort of have to check myself every so often to make sure I'm tight. The guy who teaches the class has told people who are not advancing in their times to work on their quads, lower back, shoulders. What seems to give out for me first is my legs which seems odd. But that could be because I do legs all the time the day before class. LOL

Just keep trying - you'll get it. Oh, he's also said when people fall, to get up and go into pushup plank position for 30 seconds and then go back down. He's timing us and we have a time we're aiming for, and he gives us 30-second updates. So he says if someone falls, wait for the next update, then go up into pushup plank for 30 and then back down to your forearms. Obviously most people aren't trying for 10 minutes(yes, this challenge is the total definition of insanity) but even if you shoot for 2 minutes and maybe break it down into 15-second intervals instead, you might gain some strength.
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DaniGrrl View Post
    We are doing a plank challenge right now in an abs class I take. I've held one for 9 minutes.
    !!!

For sure I'll try to see how long I can actually hold it, I would be proud to hold a plank for 9 minutes!! Good job! =)
    ''Remember where you are posting (ie a body building forum) and the audience who is going to reply. If you just want someone to tell you you’re pretty, you’re slim/toned, ripped or correct in your craziness then please post somewhere else. '' ~Kjake55

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ClassickQC View Post
    !!!

For sure I'll try to see how long I can actually hold it, I would be proud to hold a plank for 9 minutes!! Good job! =)
    I actually LOL'd at the thought of it. Don't get me wrong, 9 min is awesome...but I'd seriously be bored out of my friggin mind!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    !!!

Thanks! Some weeks have been almost easy. Some weeks, not so much LOL Last Wednesday when we went for 8 minutes, 30 seconds, it took every ounce of strength I had. I could barely pick myself up off the floor afterwards. We're having a plank-off on Saturday. The guy who teaches class is hoping to go for 18 minutes! We are doing this before we actually have class so it will be easier than normal when we do it afterwards
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    I actually LOL'd at the thought of it. Don't get me wrong, 9 min is awesome...but I'd seriously be bored out of my friggin mind!
    LOL There's no way I would ever attempt to do it on my own alone. Which is why I don't practice. Everyone else says they are practicing.

Being in a room full of people who are trying it seems to make it less boring. There's a lot of energy in there. Plus he talks through the whole thing and has a sexy voice so it helps LOL
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

Well I was thinking of maybe having a book or something like that lol

now 18 minutes... I don't think I would wanna even try, that's too much closeness to the floor for too long for my taste..

now 18 minutes... I don't think I would wanna even try, that's too much closeness to the floor for too long for my taste..
    A book might not be a bad idea. LOL One guy actually puts his own headphones in. There is music playing in the room but it's not my music. I don't know if it might make a difference. I don't have a goal in mind, but he thinks it's best to have a goal. So I don't know what I'm shooting for just yet.
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Alignment will help: kept you abs tight and flat, spread your shoulder blades wide across your back, pull your tailbone long between your legs, reach back through your heels and out the crown of your head, press even through your hands and engage your under arms, and work your breath ( exhale and really engage your core), this should help you keep form so that you last.

dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000)

My trainer used to bring in trivia questions and quiz me during planks. Once I could do 2 minutes they pretty much fell out of our routine because he didn't feel they were a good use of our time anymore.

Now I wanna see how long I can hold one though. I guarantee it won't be even close to 9 minutes!! Wow, so impressed.

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would ask for video proof, but I don't think I could sit through it! LOL Just kidding Dani, I believe you. That's awesome!

TankNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankNick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I extend my arms out a little bit farther and it makes it tougher but improves my planks

Rocket2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocket2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocket2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocket2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocket2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocket2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocket2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocket2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocket2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocket2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rocket2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cross training will help of course, try doing other core exercises like one arm standing overhead dumbbell presses, one arm flat bench flys, etc...
    Rocket-To-The-Top!

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Rocket2010 View Post
    Cross training will help of course, try doing other core exercises like one arm standing overhead dumbbell presses, one arm flat bench flys, etc...
    For once, I'm lost for words.

Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post
    For once, I'm lost for words.
    I was thinking the same

Originally Posted by Amanda76 View Post
    I would ask for video proof, but I don't think I could sit through it! LOL Just kidding Dani, I believe you. That's awesome!
    I have to laugh bc I was thinking of trying to video the plank-off on Saturday but I'm not sure how I'd do it. Maybe I can have one of the spectators do it.

We went for 10 today and I fell at 9 mins, 10 seconds, I think. Did somehow manage to get up and hold it for the last 40 seconds and am sort of pissed at myself but my arms literally gave out. I hate making excuses, but I mentally didn't have my A game, work stress, long day, food situation all screwed up today and I was actually hungry and felt weak. I heard my text go off and got distracted. I held the 9 mins super strong on Saturday and thought for sure I had it. I know it's dumb but I wish I had it back right now LOL. Plank-off is prior to class so I am curious to see the difference.
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I never thought i had a good core but any time i do an ordinary plank i give up out of boredom rather than failure. Here are a few that should help you with your planks though:

- Swiss ball planks? They are quite hard and i can only get a minute or two out of those. I've been dying to try rolling planks as well as somebody has mentioned!

-Rollouts (Can be done with a swiss ball too for beginners)

-TRX miyagis (think wax on-wax off from the karate kid )

-TRX Fallouts

-Pallof Press

-Swiss Ball Pikes (or jack knifes if you can't do the pikes)

Google these for videos on how to do them, they really are great for the core
    Bulking Calories: 2700cals

Deadlift: 220lbs
    Squat: 210lbs
    Bench: 135lbs

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DaniGrrl View Post
    We are doing a plank challenge right now in an abs class I take. I've held one for 9 minutes.
    Wow, and I thought I was badazz when I hit 3min one time, lol.

^^^THIS, I hate planks already, anything over 5min would put it right up there with having to sit in the waiting room at the dentist which always seems like an eternity.

OP, my planks suck as well. I usually do them at the end of a workout, and if I've done anything like squats or DL I won't make it past a minute or two. The only time I've gotten anywhere with them is if I do them first or on a non lifting day. I've also started trying to do them like this: 1min on, 15sec rest, 1min on, 15sec rest, etc, but so far it's only made them more torturous.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

gbmarie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Walks90 View Post
    I never thought i had a good core but any time i do an ordinary plank i give up out of boredom rather than failure. Here are a few that should help you with your planks though:

- Swiss ball planks? They are quite hard and i can only get a minute or two out of those. I've been dying to try rolling planks as well as somebody has mentioned!

-Rollouts (Can be done with a swiss ball too for beginners)

-TRX miyagis (think wax on-wax off from the karate kid )

-TRX Fallouts

-Pallof Press

-Swiss Ball Pikes (or jack knifes if you can't do the pikes)

Google these for videos on how to do them, they really are great for the core
    Thanks for this! I am getting back into shape, and I need to get my core strength up to protect my lower back (SI joint injury years ago). I'm taking it slow, but it's always awesome to have some different ideas because I get bored easily.