ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Should I be doing this on keto?

So I'm intaking roughly 1700 calories a day. When I go to the gym, I lift weights AND do heavy cardio (by heavy I mean I jog / walk up an incline for 2 miles). My main goal is to lose fat but I also want to gain muscle along the way, and I understand that keto does just that. But I was wondering if I'm over doing it?

Also, I am used to feeling really drained and tired from this diet, but I'm also getting sharp pain in my abdominal region. Is this normal? Am I missing something in my diet?

xcessive1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xcessive1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xcessive1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xcessive1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xcessive1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xcessive1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xcessive1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xcessive1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xcessive1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xcessive1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xcessive1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You should go read the guide to keto sticky. That is WAY overkill.
    “Stay hungry, stay healthy, be a gentleman, believe strongly in yourself and go beyond limitations.”

ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElephantShoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by xcessive1 View Post
    You should go read the guide to keto sticky. That is WAY overkill.
    Thought so.. Yeah I read the sticky and it said I can do either/or but didn't really think much of doing both. Thanks.

Yes.....I'm that wrestler MASSter's Avatar
    MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How did you come up with 1700 calories? What are your stats? And what made you believe keto was magically better than any other diet and let you burn lots of fat and gain lots of muscle?

Originally Posted by MASSter View Post
    How did you come up with 1700 calories? What are your stats? And what made you believe keto was magically better than any other diet and let you burn lots of fat and gain lots of muscle?
    According to the calculator I found in the sticky, I'm supposed to be eating ~2k calories, I know, shame on me. But I always feel soooo full. I am 5'6 and weigh 155 (maybe a couple pounds less than that). I've tried keto before and noticed a significant amount of weight loss and major gains. Unfortunately, due to a tailbone injury I had last year, I discontinued the diet and I also become very inactive. So now I'm back on square one.
    Last edited by ElephantShoe; 02-20-2012 at 11:02 AM.

ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    At 155 1700cal a day could work, as long as your macros are ok. If you want to build more muscle you need more calories from fat. If you aren't already doing this, start adding 2-3tbsp of good olive oil in your shakes and try putting some brewed coffee in there to mask the oil flavor.

Generally the total calories a day are different on a keto diet as it takes more energy to break down fats and protein to make glucose. So if you want 300-500 calories over matinence calories, you should be getting 500-700cals over matinence instead.

Another thing, if you are carb loading for 12-48hrs a week, you need to go hard and take advantage of these precious hours. A lot of people don't eat enough carbs on the weekend when they're trying to gain weight. A lot of whole milk, potatoes, rice,oats etc will do you a lot of good if you want cleaner carbs & weight gain.
    Weight- 145
    Overhead Press- 160
    Squat- 305
    Bench- 250
    Deadlift- 395

follow my training & diet blog
    http://carbsareevil.tumblr.com/

Originally Posted by ugmung View Post
    At 155 1700cal a day could work, as long as your macros are ok. If you want to build more muscle you need more calories from fat. If you aren't already doing this, start adding 2-3tbsp of good olive oil in your shakes and try putting some brewed coffee in there to mask the oil flavor.

Generally the total calories a day are different on a keto diet as it takes more energy to break down fats and protein to make glucose. So if you want 300-500 calories over matinence calories, you should be getting 500-700cals over matinence instead.

Another thing, if you are carb loading for 12-48hrs a week, you need to go hard and take advantage of these precious hours. A lot of people don't eat enough carbs on the weekend when they're trying to gain weight. A lot of whole milk, potatoes, rice,oats etc will do you a lot of good if you want cleaner carbs & weight gain.
    Thanks for the info man. Fortunately, my macros are spot on with the percentages. A question though. Should I be refeeding when trying to lose fat? The sticky says it's counterproductive but a lot of people recommend it anyway. Thoughts?
    Last edited by ElephantShoe; 02-20-2012 at 01:04 PM.

http://*****.bodybuilding funkypigeon's Avatar
    funkypigeon will become famous soon enough. (+50) funkypigeon will become famous soon enough. (+50) funkypigeon will become famous soon enough. (+50) funkypigeon will become famous soon enough. (+50) funkypigeon will become famous soon enough. (+50) funkypigeon will become famous soon enough. (+50) funkypigeon will become famous soon enough. (+50) funkypigeon will become famous soon enough. (+50) funkypigeon will become famous soon enough. (+50) funkypigeon will become famous soon enough. (+50) funkypigeon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i don't think that it is major over kill, i eat about that and im 180lbs at 5'9. I lift 3x a week and do cardio as well. I am consistently gaining on my lifts and slowly losing fat.
    I wish i had your problem with the "feeling too full" like i have heard so many people on the forums say, it's the opposite for me. If your losing 1-2lbs per week then there isn't much need for you to increase your calories, if your dropping any quicker then you will want to up the calories.
    And the drained feeling is most likely from either just beginning the diet or not enough fats.

what are you stats, and how many times per week are you doing this at the gym?

Originally Posted by funkypigeon View Post
    i don't think that it is major over kill, i eat about that and im 180lbs at 5'9. I lift 3x a week and do cardio as well. I am consistently gaining on my lifts and slowly losing fat.
    I wish i had your problem with the "feeling too full" like i have heard so many people on the forums say, it's the opposite for me. If your losing 1-2lbs per week then there isn't much need for you to increase your calories, if your dropping any quicker then you will want to up the calories.
    And the drained feeling is most likely from either just beginning the diet or not enough fats.

what are you stats, and how many times per week are you doing this at the gym?
    My stats: 5'6, 155 lb

I go to the gym 4-5 times a week depending on my schedule. After my weight lifting, I jog for about 10 minutes and then walk at an incline for 10 minutes, then I walk without an incline for another 10 minutes. And yeah, I think a lot of the tiredness has to do with the induction phase of keto.

ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ugmung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ElephantShoe View Post
    Thanks for the info man. Fortunately, my macros are spot on with the percentages. A question though. Should I be refeeding when trying to lose fat? The sticky says it's counterproductive but a lot of people recommend it anyway. Thoughts?
    yeah 5-6 days off carbs 1-2 days loading
    keto diet isn't the same without the weekly insulin surges. if you know your body well enough you'll feel like you have come to a point where you're not feeling the effects of the insulin and carbs during your loading period and that is when you should back off and go back to no carbs. it could only take 24-30hrs, depends on what you eat. yes, it would be detrimental if you continue to load after this point as your glycogen stores are full and body isn't utilizing the insulin as efficiently anymore and you will start to see negative effects from the carbs. so it depends on you in the end, you always have to play it by ear when it comes to the carb loads. also, people sometimes tend to fill up and insulin makes you hungry frequently and eating 2-3000 more calories on the weekends than on the weekdays cause also create problems, obviously.
    Weight- 145
    Overhead Press- 160
    Squat- 305
    Bench- 250
    Deadlift- 395

follow my training & diet blog
    http://carbsareevil.tumblr.com/