Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Small hands, struggling with deadlifts. Any advice?

Hello,

I have recently started struggling with my deadlift(not high, only at 190 lbs) because my fingers get crushed under the weight and after my first set I start losing the grip. I already wear gloves. These: http://www.amazon.com/GoFit-Weightli.../dp/B0007W8A62
    but since they're fingerless I still get calluses where the glove ends =/

Does anyone have any advice on this? I'm also starting to do weighted pull ups, right now I'm only at BW + 25lbs but I'm starting to feel like I'm going to lose the grip when I'm doing them.

I can't quite "wrap" my hand around the bar since my fingers aren't long enough and I can't use bigger gloves cause I have disproportionately short fingers(someone up in my family tree had tiny hands). Wrist to tip of finger around 6.5 inches, but wrist to end of palm is 4 inches.

Thanks in advance.

Lifting with Power allergic2rice's Avatar
    allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000)
    lose the gloves.
    buy a bag of chalk.
    use hook grip.

/nogripissue
    Forum Representative
    Next Generation Nutrition
    http://www.glyco-energy.com/

***Los Angeles MISC Crew***

www.strengthsociety.com
    Powerlifting, Nutrition, Mobility

Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ardhimas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by allergic2rice View Post
    lose the gloves.
    buy a bag of chalk.
    use hook grip.

/nogripissue
    I don't quite understand how a hook grip helps with grip strength. When I tried it I could barely keep the bar on my hands. I don't think my fingers are long enough. My middle finger is 2.5 inches.

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    you have smaller hands than this? ...

I'm thinking it might not be the issue you think it is, iow.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try this:

Set the bar on the ground and roll it in place. As the bar rotates but the weight plates stay in place, if you look closely you'll notice that barbells all have a very slight bend to them. When rolling them you see a slight deviation in the center, forming the top of a VERY shallow parabola. Before lifting it, roll the top of the bend so that it points 45 degrees upwards and backwards. When you pull on the bar, it will have a tendency to roll so that the top of the bend points straight up. If you point the bend in the bar slightly backwards, you guarantee that it will try to roll into your palm rather than out of your hands.

That's a really simple way to double overhand a lot more weight, it's helped me a lot. I can also recommend some hand strengthening if you'd like.

AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ^^^ Never knew that before. I though it was because of the vast weight I put on the bar

Good answer this. it would help.

But are you trying to improve grip, or be able to deadlift?? There seems to be a contradiction in a couple of your answers. If your primary aim is to deadlift, then invest in a pair of lifting hooks of straps. I prefer teh straps, especially if I have a longer rest period, as I feel it gives me greater control on the heavy lifts.
    You could work on your grip during any warm up sets and with other excercises isolating your grip strength at the end of a workout.
    "I'll do today what others won't so I can do tomorrow what others can't" - such a fitting quote for bodybuilding!

keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Quick fixes would be;

Mixed grip with chalk
    Straps

It's worth working on your grip strength going forward imo.

DANimale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Agree... ditch the gay ass gloves and man up for **** sake.

... on the other hands at least your small hands make your d**k look bigger? ROFL

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ardhimas View Post
    I still get calluses where the glove ends =/
    The things that improve grip strength are the same things that give you calluses. Either accept the fact that your grip strength will suck while you have dainty girl hands, or man up and stop being afraid of calluses.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by keys_10 View Post
    Quick fixes would be;

Mixed grip with chalk
    Straps
    ^This.
    In addition to being an amazing body builder (LOL), I'm also a rapper.
    Check out my group's youtube page:

www.youtube.com/wenthemooneclypse

And my solo youtube page

www.youtube.com/frankielyrical

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you're getting large painful calluses at the base of your fingers then you're holding the bar wrong. It means you're trying to hold the bar too high in your hand and it's pulling the skin of your palms down making calluses.

http://stronglifts.com/deadlifts-cal...ion-treatment/

Particularly pay attention to number 1...