leociccone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how many days to lift weights a week? PLEASE HELP experts!

Hi! Newbie here, been lifting for about 1 month now....and quite frankly, I'm obsessed! However I'm very confused on how many days a week to lift weights. I seem to read a different answer on each forum online (as far as how many days rest the body needs and which days you should focus on certain muscles groups) Does someone know the definite answer?

A little about me...

I'm 23 years old, Male, 185 lbs, 5'11.

I'm interested in losing fat and gaining lot's of muscle.

I have been doing many dumbbell exercises for the whole body. My routine:

Day 1 - Chest & Triceps
    Day 2 - Legs & Abs
    Day 3 - Biceps, Shoulders, and Back
    Day 4 - Chest & Triceps
    Day 5 - Biceps, Shoulders, and Back
    Day 6 - Rest Day
    Day 7 - Legs & Abs

...is this an efficient routine? I'm worried that I might not be resting enough for recovery. I just hate taking rest days. Are rest days really neccessary?

Can I do Shoulders and Back on seperate days? (Shoulders seem to take the longest time and the most effort for me)

or Can I do Shoulders in the morning and then Back in the evening? Could I do biceps on a different day, by themselves?

What is the ideal amount of days a week to lift and which muscles MUST have to be done on the same day?

Thank you sooooo much! I really appreciate the help guys!

geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    As you're just starting out I strongly recommend not making up your own routine and getting on a proven beginner program like starting strength or All Pro's simple beginner routine.

What you've posted is what I'd classify as at least an intermediate split. As a beginner it is too complicated with too much isolation work and too little rest. You can benefit from a simple full body routine done 3x a week and make maximum progress as a beginner.
    Meet Best: 220/125/260 kg for a 384 Wilks IPF Nov 2018.

Soaking in a Digital Bath ShaneSwan's Avatar
    ShaneSwan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShaneSwan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShaneSwan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShaneSwan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShaneSwan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShaneSwan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShaneSwan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShaneSwan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShaneSwan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShaneSwan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShaneSwan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^yes; typically for a beginner, less volume is more progression. This can be frustrating, cos when we find something we enjoy doing we want to do it more, but unfortunately weight training dosnt work like this. Consistency, with training/diet/rest, does work, or at least puts us in the most favourable position possible.

Further to geoff's recommendations, Id advise visiting the nutrition section and reading the stickies regarding calorie/macro intake. Working out your target intake numbers will require a bit of time and work from you, but it is definitely worth the investment.
    Feed me here
    Fill me up again
    Temporarily pacify this hunger thats so cruel

CoreyLove5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Volume

I found that it depends on the volume of the work. Say if you do 12 sets for chest on monday and 12 sets of chest on thursday, i would say that is borderline overtraining especially if you are following the 10-12 rep range. What I usually do is take a chest workout that incorporates 18 total sets. I stay heavy in the 6-8 rep range. I divide those 18 sets over two days for a couple reasons. 1. I will be fresh and strong on each day if I am only doing 9 sets a day. 2. I will engage a pump 2 days a week which promote both growth annd recovery. example - monday upper chest focus - incline bench press - incline db press - incline flys thursday middle chest preexhaust - low incline flys - flat db flys - flat db press, just a thought
    The toughest competition you will ever face is yourself.

CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    With only a month of training under your belt, I would strongly recommend not continuing your current split, and starting a good beginners routine, as others have stated.
    Please, for your own sake, keep in mind that when referring to routines as "beginner/intermediate/advanced", we are referring to what your body is ready for, and what it can handle at this time. Those labels DO NOT imply the results they give. Too often guys that are new to weight training don't want to use a beginners routine. They let their ego's go wild, and convince themselves they require something more advanced. They hear of an "advanced" routine, and decide that is what they will do, because it will offer better results than a beginners routine.
    It's not true.
    As a beginner, the best results will come with a beginners routine.
    As a beginner, taking on an advanced routine will lead to less results than a beginners routine. Most refuse to accept this fact, but you will be doing yourself a favor to realise it.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your training. Hope you get the results you seek.
    Best lifts at the end of 2011

Squat: 585x2
    Bench: 451
    Deadlift: 610
    Bodyweight: 202

Originally Posted by geoffstgermaine View Post
    As you're just starting out I strongly recommend not making up your own routine and getting on a proven beginner program like starting strength or All Pro's simple beginner routine.

What you've posted is what I'd classify as at least an intermediate split. As a beginner it is too complicated with too much isolation work and too little rest. You can benefit from a simple full body routine done 3x a week and make maximum progress as a beginner.
    Originally Posted by CDT4 View Post
    With only a month of training under your belt, I would strongly recommend not continuing your current split, and starting a good beginners routine, as others have stated.
    Please, for your own sake, keep in mind that when referring to routines as "beginner/intermediate/advanced", we are referring to what your body is ready for, and what it can handle at this time. Those labels DO NOT imply the results they give. Too often guys that are new to weight training don't want to use a beginners routine. They let their ego's go wild, and convince themselves they require something more advanced. They hear of an "advanced" routine, and decide that is what they will do, because it will offer better results than a beginners routine.
    It's not true.
    As a beginner, the best results will come with a beginners routine.
    As a beginner, taking on an advanced routine will lead to less results than a beginners routine. Most refuse to accept this fact, but you will be doing yourself a favor to realise it.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your training. Hope you get the results you seek.
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice! I've come to the conclusion that I need to work out less (unfortunately, because I'd love to do it twice a day even!). I'm starting a new routine this week and this is how it goes! :

Monday - Legs & Abs
    Tuesday - Off
    Wednesday - Chest & Triceps
    Thursday - Off
    Friday - Biceps, Shoulders, & Back
    Saturday - Off
    Sunday - Off

Let me know what you guys think! And thanks again.

braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    thats better^^^^ if u really love working out u could do 4 days a week of different bodyparts.....everyones different ...make sure ur getting good clean protein in you at least 1g per lb of lean body mass....

Originally Posted by braskibra View Post
    thats better^^^^ if u really love working out u could do 4 days a week of different bodyparts.....everyones different ...make sure ur getting good clean protein in you at least 1g per lb of lean body mass....
    I would love to do 4 days! But which body parts on which days would you recommend?

Right now I'm doing 20 grams after working out and trying to consume 185 grams of protein a day.

Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by leociccone View Post
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice! I've come to the conclusion that I need to work out less (unfortunately, because I'd love to do it twice a day even!). I'm starting a new routine this week and this is how it goes! :

Monday - Legs & Abs
    Tuesday - Off
    Wednesday - Chest & Triceps
    Thursday - Off
    Friday - Biceps, Shoulders, & Back
    Saturday - Off
    Sunday - Off

Let me know what you guys think! And thanks again.
    No no no. Get on one of the proven programs. That still isn't optimal and I don't even need to see your movements or reps x sets.
    Fierce 5 novice routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

All Pros beginner routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172473

Calculating calories and macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173439001

Multivitamin Creatine Monohydrate
    Fish Oil Whey

It's better than prison maori-rap's Avatar
    maori-rap has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) maori-rap has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) maori-rap has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) maori-rap has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) maori-rap has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) maori-rap has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) maori-rap has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) maori-rap has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) maori-rap has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) maori-rap has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) maori-rap has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by leociccone View Post
    I would love to do 4 days! But which body parts on which days would you recommend?

Right now I'm doing 20 grams after working out and trying to consume 185 grams of protein a day.
    A 4 day split you could consider is

M chest/bi
    T Back/tri
    W rest
    T shoulders/traps
    F legs/abs?
    S rest
    S rest

So its 2 on/1 off/2 on then 2 whole days to recover for next week. This is if you were set on a 4 day split and not going with starting strength.
    "Honor is something that all men are born with. It cannot be taken from you nor can it be granted. It must only not be lost."

CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CDT4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by maori-rap View Post
    A 4 day split you could consider is

M chest/bi
    T Back/tri
    W rest
    T shoulders/traps
    F legs/abs?
    S rest
    S rest

So its 2 on/1 off/2 on then 2 whole days to recover for next week. This is if you were set on a 4 day split and not going with starting strength.
    Worked for Dorian
    Best lifts at the end of 2011

Squat: 585x2
    Bench: 451
    Deadlift: 610
    Bodyweight: 202

braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i like that split but would switch tris and bi's but hey to each his own.......
    if i was starting all over again id use this split its very similar to the one just posted: chest/tris, off, back/bi's, shoulders traps, off, legs, off
    I like to take a day off after chest to recover because hitting chest can be hard on your bicep tendon and shoulders but everyones different so see what works for you,
    20 g after you workout is ok> id prolly bump it up to 30 g
    what are your goals? gain weight or cut bf???
    if you wanna gain mass u might want to consider adding a fast digesting carb + 5 g of creatine postworkout
    carbs you could consider: honey( half fructose, half dextrose), dextrose, pixie sticks (dextrose), waxy maize
    aim for anywhere between 10-50 g depending on your goals
    Last edited by braskibra; 02-20-2012 at 05:07 PM.

OffwhiteBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OffwhiteBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OffwhiteBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OffwhiteBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OffwhiteBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OffwhiteBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OffwhiteBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OffwhiteBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OffwhiteBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OffwhiteBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OffwhiteBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    in for some answers from the pros

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by CoreyLove5 View Post
    I found that it depends on the volume of the work. Say if you do 12 sets for chest on monday and 12 sets of chest on thursday, i would say that is borderline overtraining especially if you are following the 10-12 rep range. What I usually do is take a chest workout that incorporates 18 total sets. I stay heavy in the 6-8 rep range. I divide those 18 sets over two days for a couple reasons. 1. I will be fresh and strong on each day if I am only doing 9 sets a day. 2. I will engage a pump 2 days a week which promote both growth annd recovery. example - monday upper chest focus - incline bench press - incline db press - incline flys thursday middle chest preexhaust - low incline flys - flat db flys - flat db press, just a thought

A certain number of sets or reps does not determine whether someone is overtraining or not. It depends on the individual. For some people like myself included, high volume and frequency is better. But for others, less volume = more. THERE IS NO golden rule for what constitutes "too much." What may be considered too much for one person is simply another person's warm up.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by OffwhiteBrah View Post
    in for some answers from the pros
    What's particularly special about this 2012 thread?

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    What's particularly special about this 2012 thread?
    Just realized this thread was from 2012. Lol.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.