festeringscaff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ironmaster Bench

Been putting together a little home gym for awhile now. I currently have a Body Solid FID31 bench and really have only used it several times because of injuries. I'm at the point now that I'm going to start working out again because no matter the rest and physio the tendonitis in both my biceps and right rotator cuff won't go away. But i can't seem to enjoy my current bench. It sits extremely high at 22" - I even find it high and I'm 6'2. I have numerous complains about this bench. I suppose I might be too picky because I've always went to large gyms with high end equipment and have never ran into any sort of problems with benches before.

Complaints:
    Sits high 22"
    Large gap between seats -- I've read some people place a 9" 2x6 when they're doing flat exercises
    Foot-pad is in the way - I seem to be always stepping and tripping on it
    The length is too short. When doing incline presses my head doesn't touch the padded seat
    Leg attachment is in the way, even when you remove the pads. You can't completely unbolt it and remove it
    Not many different degree of angles

I've heard good things about Ironmaster's Super bench. But the length seems to be fairly short as well, something that really bothers me. I probably should of bought the heavier duty Body Solid bench.. Any recommendations? Thanks

jprockjr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jprockjr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jprockjr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jprockjr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jprockjr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jprockjr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jprockjr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jprockjr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jprockjr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jprockjr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jprockjr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Personally I think the ideal flat bench specs are 3-leg, 17 in tall, and 12 in wide.

You can start and get some ideas here, good luck.

http://bodybuilding.wikkii.com/wiki/Benches

EDIT: I have the ironmaster bench, the only reason I still have it is its ability to incline and decline, other than that I don't like the height, width, footprint, and even the transport wheels (which I purchased separately).
    Last edited by jprockjr; 02-18-2012 at 03:00 PM.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I have the Ironmaster Super Bench. I like it, but I'm only 5'10" in height.

According to Ironmaster's Super Bench page, the Super Bench is 20" tall in the flat position. Some folks, myself included, find this to be on the high side. If it were a bit shorter, I'd be able to push with my legs more. I'm able to use it at this height though.

I don't have a problem with the bench length.

The seat works fine for incline presses as there are three slots into which the seat may be placed. For anything less than 80 degrees, I'm able to find a slot which puts the seat at a comfortable height. For 80 and 85 degrees, however, the seat seems too low even in the highest slot. Not unusably low, but I would like it a bit higher. This does not matter all that much to me though because I usually just sit on the bench in the flat position, without the seat, for seated overhead presses. I like not having a backrest because I think that forces me to engage my core more. If you want to do overhead presses with a backrest, the Seated Press Backrest works great for this purpose.

You can see some photos that I took of my Super Bench in Ironmaster Spotting Stand Photos and Review.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Originally Posted by jprockjr View Post
    Personally I think the ideal flat bench specs are 3-legs, 17 in tall, and 12 in wide.

You can start and get some ideas here, good luck.

EDIT: I have the ironmaster bench, the only reason I still have it is its ability to incline and decline, other than that I don't like the height, width, legs, and even the transport wheels (which I purchased separately).
    Thanks for the link. I've usually only heard good things about the Ironmaster bench. What's wrong with the legs, do they tend to get in the way? According to some specs the ironmaster is 31" from seat pad to top of the bench, pretty much the same as my Body Solid FID31. A few inches too short for me..

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    I have the Ironmaster Super Bench. I like it, but I'm only 5'10" in height.

According to Ironmaster's Super Bench page, the Super Bench is 20" tall in the flat position. Some folks, myself included, find this to be on the high side. If it were a bit shorter, I'd be able to push with my legs more. I'm able to use it at this height though.

I don't have a problem with the bench length.

The seat works fine for incline presses as there are three slots into which the seat may be placed. For anything less than 80 degrees, I'm able to find a slot which puts the seat at a comfortable height. For 80 and 85 degrees, however, the seat seems too low even in the highest slot. Not unusably low, but I would like it a bit higher. This does not matter all that much to me though because I usually just sit on the bench in the flat position, without the seat, for seated overhead presses. I like not having a backrest because I think that forces me to engage my core more. If you want to do overhead presses with a backrest, the works great for this purpose.

You can see some photos that I took of my Super Bench in Ironmaster Spotting Stand Photos and Review.
    A height of 20" wouldn't bother me either. Like I said the Body Solid is 22" and I can deal with it, but it's a little annoying. It's mostly the the footpads are in my way especially with heavier dumbbells along with the bench being too short in the incline position. I really wanted the Ironmaster, but it seems like I'll have the same problem with the incline setting only being 31" from seat-pad to top of back padding.

Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I had the same height problem with that body solid but found it makes a great incline bench since its very solid. With your problem with your head hanging over the end though I'm not sure it's worth using for that.

From all accounts the ironmaster is fantastic bench and I really wanted one but had to pass for a couple of reasons. One is the 20" height which is still a bit too high for me. The other was that although it's rated for 1000lbs when flat, on an incline or decline it's only good for 600lbs. While that sounds like plenty and probably is for most people, if your 250lbs that leaves you with a safe max of 350lbs. If you are 300lbs (ahem) that leaves a safe max of only 300 pounds which isn't that much for a 300 pounder. On the other hand if you're no more than 200lbs it can handle 400. Only you can decide if that's enough for you down the road but I figure why limit your potential?

I solved my bench problem by keeping the body solid for incline work and picking up the York commercial flat bench for regular benching. The York bench is great, i should do a review sometime, it's rock solid and cheap. You can get it for $189 at rogue. The rogue flat bench is supposed to be great too and it's even cheaper, apx $175 I think. I went with the York instead because it has thicker tubing and I was able to try it in person. It's 19" high which I can just barely use properly if I wear thick soled shoes. Yes, I'm a manlet :-(

The rogue bench has the pluses of being all welded and lower to the ground though. I think either bench is a great choice.

Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Iakovos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Iakovos View Post
    I had the same height problem with that body solid but found it makes a great incline bench since its very solid. With your problem with your head hanging over the end though I'm not sure it's worth using for that.

From all accounts the ironmaster is fantastic bench and I really wanted one but had to pass for a couple of reasons. One is the 20" height which is still a bit too high for me. The other was that although it's rated for 1000lbs when flat, on an incline or decline it's only good for 600lbs. While that sounds like plenty and probably is for most people, if your 250lbs that leaves you with a safe max of 350lbs. If you are 300lbs (ahem) that leaves a safe max of only 300 pounds which isn't that much for a 300 pounder. On the other hand if you're no more than 200lbs it can handle 400. Only you can decide if that's enough for you down the road but I figure why limit your potential?

I solved my bench problem by keeping the body solid for incline work and picking up the York commercial flat bench for regular benching. The York bench is great, i should do a review sometime, it's rock solid and cheap. You can get it for $189 at rogue. The rogue flat bench is supposed to be great too and it's even cheaper, apx $175 I think. I went with the York instead because it has thicker tubing and I was able to try it in person. It's 19" high which I can just barely use properly if I wear thick soled shoes. Yes, I'm a manlet :-(

The rogue bench has the pluses of being all welded and lower to the ground though. I think either bench is a great choice.
    On second thought you'd better skip the York flat bench. It'll be far too short for you length wise, which is a plus for me as it saves space in my tiny gym lol.

The rogue says its 47.5" long, whichll probably be a much better choice for you.

Originally Posted by Iakovos View Post

I thought about keeping my Body Solid as a secondary bench, but it's hard to justify it right now since I'm not working out. My wife will use the gym some as well, but she's pregnant and I doubt she'd like the 22" height etc or I'd keep it for her.

I've been looking at the York Flat to Incline bench. It looks perfect. No footpads in my way, no unnecessary attachments, just a solid looking bench. Although length measure is 57 which if I recall is the same as my FID31. It's also a little more expensive, ranging from 650-750.00 Canadian.. Also, a posting on Kijiji featuring KeysFitness KF-FID (Multi-Purpose Bench). Not sure if I've eve heard of this bench!?

forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50) forthays will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The IM bench is set up a little differently with the way the seat attaches. It may give you more length than you think. I just measured mine and it is 35 inches from the top of the seat to the top of the bench when in incline position. It's about right for me at 6'.

The only negative I see with it is the height of the bench itself at 20". At my height its still a bit too high. It's not a big deal but I would prefer an 18" bench.

DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000)
    The DA-6 is only 16 inches high and rated for 1000lbs http://valorathleticsinc.com/store/D...h-p-16342.html

BackI00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackI00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackI00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackI00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackI00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackI00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackI00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackI00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackI00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackI00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackI00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DougHolland View Post
    The DA-6 is only 16 inches high and rated for 1000lbs http://valorathleticsinc.com/store/D...h-p-16342.html
    Second this, (for second time today i believe). Its a tank and is cheaper then most comparable benches.

Originally Posted by forthays View Post
    The IM bench is set up a little differently with the way the seat attaches. It may give you more length than you think. I just measured mine and it is 35 inches from the top of the seat to the top of the bench when in incline position. It's about right for me at 6'.

The only negative I see with it is the height of the bench itself at 20". At my height its still a bit too high. It's not a big deal but I would prefer an 18" bench.
    That's good news because I really wanted the Super Bench to work out for me. 4" more than my Body Solid. That would probably just be enough, wish I could try this bench out first, but don't really have that option. Also, 20" is a little high, but my Body Solid is 22" so 2" less is definitely a bonus...

peequi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) peequi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) peequi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) peequi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) peequi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) peequi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) peequi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) peequi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) peequi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) peequi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) peequi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    As stated above, the IM bench sits high. Not a huge deal but if you are short I highly recommend you really try one out before buying. Don't just sit on it, actually workout on one. Other than that I think this bench is solid. High quality and very easy to adjust. Plus IM warrantys all there stuff for a long time...maybe lifetime? I forget.
    I usually post from iPhone. Please excuse errors.

Originally Posted by peequi View Post
    As stated above, the IM bench sits high. Not a huge deal but if you are short I highly recommend you really try one out before buying. Don't just sit on it, actually workout on one. Other than that I think this bench is solid. High quality and very easy to adjust. Plus IM warrantys all there stuff for a long time...maybe lifetime? I forget.
    I'm 6'2 so the 20" height isn't a major concern. It's the length of the bench that scares me. My head doesn't rest on the back of my Body Solid FID31 when I'm inclined. Flat position is fine. It's 31" from seat to top of the back pad. As someone mentioned the Ironmaster is 35" which would likely be just enough. The IM just looks so small in pics. I don't want to end up with two benches that my head won't rest on..

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by festeringscaff View Post
    That's good news because I really wanted the Super Bench to work out for me. 4" more than my Body Solid. That would probably just be enough, wish I could try this bench out first, but don't really have that option. Also, 20" is a little high, but my Body Solid is 22" so 2" less is definitely a bonus...
    There are actually three possible seat positions on the IM Super Bench, each of which is 2.25" apart from it's neighbor. I measured from the seat to the top of the backrest (end of the bench) for all three positions and came up with the following: 35", 32,75", and 30.5". That 35" measurement is actually for the lowest seat position and the 30.5" measurement is for the highest. You'll probably have a bit more than this since the seat padding compresses a bit when you sit on it.

You use the lowest seat position for shallow inclines. You typically move the seat up as the inline also steepens. You don't have to do this, but if you don't, you'll be squatting down a lot to use the seat.

I find the seat to be a bit low in the high slot when the bench is set at 85 degrees (which is as steep as it goes). This is not really an issue for me because I just sit on the bench in the flat position when I do a seated overhead press. If you still want a (partial) backrest, you can get the Seated Press Backrest. I have this attachment and used it for a while until I decided that I'm probably better off doing seated overhead press without it. (More core activation.) The seated press backrest does work well though.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Originally Posted by DougHolland View Post
    That bench looks really solid but under weight capacity I one see xxx. Is that code for 1000lbs or am I seeing something different because I'm viewing on a phone?

darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by festeringscaff View Post
    I'm 6'2 so the 20" height isn't a major concern. It's the length of the bench that scares me. My head doesn't rest on the back of my Body Solid FID31 when I'm inclined. Flat position is fine. It's 31" from seat to top of the back pad. As someone mentioned the Ironmaster is 35" which would likely be just enough. The IM just looks so small in pics. I don't want to end up with two benches that my head won't rest on..
    I have many benches, and one of them is the IM which I really only use for an ab bench or the rare decline bench press. I'm pretty sure I've measured my IM and it's closer to 21" tall, I could be remembering wrong, my biggest complaint is the height and the back pad being only 10". I do love the IM company but honestly if you don't like your 22" bench now I'd personally tell you to forget the IM as well, it's gonna be almost the same.

Have you thought about just getting a flat bench to go with your current bench? If you have the room it can be a great way to get the best of both worlds.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #30 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #7 []---[]

Home gym pics:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1192814061&viewfull=1#post1192814061
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1198875921&viewfull=1#post1198875921
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1202033661&viewfull=1#post1202033661

DrFeelgood127 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrFeelgood127 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrFeelgood127 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrFeelgood127 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrFeelgood127 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrFeelgood127 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrFeelgood127 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrFeelgood127 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrFeelgood127 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrFeelgood127 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrFeelgood127 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would also recommend the Ironmaster. As already stated, the seat height can be adjusted to give guys your height some head support while inclined. And while technically my Ironmaster is 20.5" I never really found it to be a huge problem and I am what the Misc would consider a manlet. Some folks perfer a lower profile for added leg drive on their presses, I've found that I vary my foot placement without even noticing to either the floor, directly on the bench legs, or with my feet on the pad. I guess powerlifters and guys going for PRs might want the added leg drive, but I find myself just trying to push with my pecs and tris LOL. I feel that one would just become accustomed to it and adapt and eventually not notice.

With the Body Solid bench, there really is no getting around the bench legs and that gap needs to be filled in with extra foam or padding or something to not fall in.

Ironmaster also has a 30 day money back guarantee and they would pay for return shipping so you could try it out for a while and see if it works out.

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    There are actually three possible seat positions on the IM Super Bench, each of which is 2.25" apart from it's neighbor. I measured from the seat to the top of the backrest (end of the bench) for all three positions and came up with the following: 35", 32,75", and 30.5". That 35" measurement is actually for the lowest seat position and the 30.5" measurement is for the highest. You'll probably have a bit more than this since the seat padding compresses a bit when you sit on it.

You use the lowest seat position for shallow inclines. You typically move the seat up as the inline also steepens. You don't have to do this, but if you don't, you'll be squatting down a lot to use the seat.

I find the seat to be a bit low in the high slot when the bench is set at 85 degrees (which is as steep as it goes). This is not really an issue for me because I just sit on the bench in the flat position when I do a seated overhead press. If you still want a (partial) backrest, you can get the Seated Press Backrest. I have this attachment and used it for a while until I decided that I'm probably better off doing seated overhead press without it. (More core activation.) The seated press backrest does work well though.
    Thanks for the detailed post. I sent IronMaster an e-mail and they gave me the name of a company in Western Canada that carries IM stuff. From what I've been told they're the only one in Western Canada and they're only four hours away in Edmonton. A place I visit every 3-4 months. So, at least I can try the bench out before I buy it. The only sticking point really is the length of the bench and 35" sounds pretty decent. The partial backrest sounds like it could be all right, so many attachments with this bench, seems like a quality piece of equipment..

Originally Posted by darkfact View Post
    I have many benches, and one of them is the IM which I really only use for an ab bench or the rare decline bench press. I'm pretty sure I've measured my IM and it's closer to 21" tall, I could be remembering wrong, my biggest complaint is the height and the back pad being only 10". I do love the IM company but honestly if you don't like your 22" bench now I'd personally tell you to forget the IM as well, it's gonna be almost the same.

Have you thought about just getting a flat bench to go with your current bench? If you have the room it can be a great way to get the best of both worlds.
    With my Body Solid bench at 22" that's about max, so even if the IM is 21" it's not that big of a problem. Sure, I'd prefer 20 or less but it's not a deal breaker. The things that drive me nuts about my BS bench:

- Footpads are in the way, you really notice it when you're walking with heavy dumbbells and you're tripping over them and standing on them
    - The overall length of the bench when inclined is a few inches too short. My head doesn't rest on the back pad