candygirl88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Reps and sets, contest prep, please help!! :)

Ok I have looked all over the forums and everyone seems to have their own opinions on this but I would like to know how many sets and reps I should be doing for each exercise.

I am 7.5 weeks from my first bikini competition and am trying to lean out. I would like to add a little more muscle as well but don't know if its possible to do both. I have seen many training routines and some people do 3 sets of some exercises and 4 sets of others. Whats the big difference?

Should I do 3 or 4 sets and what rep range should I stick with?

PLEASE HELP!!

pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000)
    There are benefits to all the rep ranges, so your question is hard to answer. Normally people don't change off season and prep routines much, just nutrition. Also while in a calorie deficit probably won't be adding much if any muscle, goal should be maintain. What's builds muscle will maintain muscle!

amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi, I am also training for my first comp and after reducing my body fat to a more acceptable level I have been disappointed in my definition. I have increased my weight and now going to failure to promote muscle growth at a rep rate of 10-12 instead of the '4 x 15' I started at. So far, it is showing much better results in my arms.
    I am an amateur but it's working for me Good luck

Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by candygirl88 View Post
    Ok I have looked all over the forums and everyone seems to have their own opinions on this but I would like to know how many sets and reps I should be doing for each exercise.

I am 7.5 weeks from my first bikini competition and am trying to lean out. I would like to add a little more muscle as well but don't know if its possible to do both. I have seen many training routines and some people do 3 sets of some exercises and 4 sets of others. Whats the big difference?

Should I do 3 or 4 sets and what rep range should I stick with?

PLEASE HELP!!
    Sets and reps for myself and my clients vary depending on the muscle focus and the balance I seek to give them. Physique comps are not about building the most muscle everywhere that you can (even in bb). It's about LOOKING like you have the most complete and balanced physique for your class. For bikini you need to have that beach barbie look. I think it's actually one of the hardest to do well in for the avg person. Not because it's hard to prep for but because you have to have just the right genetics to get anywhere. Where as figure girls do have to train harder for longer and diet harder as well. They tend to have a larger range of genetics that place in higher ranks.

So back to your question ... compare your pics side by side to winning bikini girls ... spot the trend of the winners and work on the areas that you need to bring up (training HARD with lower to mid rep range is a good start) .. while under working areas you may need to bring down (you can consider a higher rep range with lighter weights for this). Think about sculpting what you want rather than just ... I must build more muscle!! Remember it could take years to get where you want. You just have to do the best with what you have
    My $0.02 is worth $0.03

candygirl88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you for all your responses

So should I stick to 3 sets or 4 sets? I want more definition in my arms and I need to tighten my glutes. In this case would I lift high weight, low reps in those areas?

Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

So should I stick to 3 sets or 4 sets? I want more definition in my arms and I need to tighten my glutes. In this case would I lift high weight, low reps in those areas?
    I don't know the rest of your routine nor do I know what you look like. 3 sets, 4 sets .... Yes to both?
    My $0.02 is worth $0.03

amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amyb84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I have found doing HARD weight at a rep range of 8-12 is working for me. I do 3 sets but each set is to failure and if it wasn't hard enough (ie not to failure) go up in weight and don't count that set. You prob still need to combine that with some defining exercises in the higher rep range, particularly for legs which I am still having trouble with too!