lulolala123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lulolala123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lulolala123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lulolala123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I want to start lifting weights...how much should I start with?

I'm 15, female and I want to start lifting weights to tone up and build some muscle.
    But I don't know how much weight to start with?
    Any rough ideas?
    ....I was thinking about starting with 2kg...is that too light?
    (I don't go to the gym so I'm just going to have to buy the weights so it'll be a good idea to have a rough idea of what weights to buy because I don't want to waste money on weights that are either too light or too heavy for me.)

I'm 5'3 and weigh 125lbs (if that matters).

And any other tips/advice on weight training would be much appreciated. =D
    Thanks!

Yes, i lift. Inb4 stats. iiradman's Avatar
    iiradman is just really nice. (+1000) iiradman is just really nice. (+1000) iiradman is just really nice. (+1000) iiradman is just really nice. (+1000) iiradman is just really nice. (+1000) iiradman is just really nice. (+1000) iiradman is just really nice. (+1000) iiradman is just really nice. (+1000) iiradman is just really nice. (+1000) iiradman is just really nice. (+1000) iiradman is just really nice. (+1000)
    A female, wanting to build muscle?

That's absurd. Women/girls should stick to cardio.

(Not srs)

I'm sure there's many programs that this site can offer you.

There's lots of women at my gym who lift heavy, and it follows the same/similar program that the men use.
    For any beginner, it's a good idea to start slowly. "strength' training is what most people pursue before dedicating themselves to a further complicated lifting routine. This strength training allows your body to become adjusted, as well as prepares you.
    Last edited by iiradman; 02-16-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    Engineering Crew

Homo for iron (no homo)

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by lulolala123 View Post
    I'm 15, female and I want to start lifting weights to tone up and build some muscle.
    But I don't know how much weight to start with?
    Any rough ideas?
    ....I was thinking about starting with 2kg...is that too light?
    (I don't go to the gym so I'm just going to have to buy the weights so it'll be a good idea to have a rough idea of what weights to buy because I don't want to waste money on weights that are either too light or too heavy for me.)

I'm 5'3 and weigh 125lbs (if that matters).

And any other tips/advice on weight training would be much appreciated. =D
    Thanks!
    Do you have a weight room @ your school or physed teacher who can work with you to establish some starting points? Whatever you do make sure you READ A LOT and LEARN A LOT. Form and technique over weight every day you lift. Also if you're just starting out you don't necessarily need weights from jump street, there are plenty of good body weight routines you can use to build strength while you build a weight-lifting bank account. Stay motivated and be careful. Good luck.
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443

ecp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It honestly depends on whether or not you have done any prior weight lifting/intense exercising. A safe bet would to be start around 10-12.5 lbs. There are some weights that you can buy that you can add weight onto them. In my opinion, they would be a great investment. Remember to take it easy for a couple of weeks so your body gets used to the new treatment. In addition, you also have to watch your diet. Make sure you are eating clean/more protein. I am by no means a registered nutritionist, but you can check out Jamie's 12 week challenge and it will give you plenty of meal options! Good luck!!

ShaShaaaax3 is not very helpful. (-500) ShaShaaaax3 is not very helpful. (-500) ShaShaaaax3 is not very helpful. (-500) ShaShaaaax3 is not very helpful. (-500) ShaShaaaax3 is not very helpful. (-500) ShaShaaaax3 is not very helpful. (-500) ShaShaaaax3 is not very helpful. (-500) ShaShaaaax3 is not very helpful. (-500) ShaShaaaax3 is not very helpful. (-500) ShaShaaaax3 is not very helpful. (-500) ShaShaaaax3 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by ecp View Post
    It honestly depends on whether or not you have done any prior weight lifting/intense exercising. A safe bet would to be start around 10-12.5 lbs. There are some weights that you can buy that you can add weight onto them. In my opinion, they would be a great investment. Remember to take it easy for a couple of weeks so your body gets used to the new treatment. In addition, you also have to watch your diet. Make sure you are eating clean/more protein. I am by no means a registered nutritionist, but you can check out Jamie's 12 week challenge and it will give you plenty of meal options! Good luck!!
    as much weight as you doing 3 sets of 15 reps

Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Whatever weight you use, you want to be able to get at least 8 reps, but no more than 12, so some exercises will require a lot of weight and hit your wallet pretty hard. Is there any particular reason you can't go to the gym?
    So, it turns out you can't kill a tumor with vodka...

10/22/13 - BP: 120 x 4, 104% BW. Bwaha.

lulolala123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lulolala123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lulolala123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lulolala123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Artistry View Post
    Whatever weight you use, you want to be able to get at least 8 reps, but no more than 12, so some exercises will require a lot of weight and hit your wallet pretty hard. Is there any particular reason you can't go to the gym?
    All my local gyms don't allow under 16s to join. =/