Laurensmom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Would shorter cut/bulk cycles work?

I'm sort of skinny fat. Been lifting for a few months and I'm seeing some nice changes. Mostly eating at maintenance...few days above when I am lifting, a few days on maintenance maybe slightly below on rest days.
    I've been reading a lot on here about recomposition and cut/bulk cycling. Seems that recompositioning is a pretty tricky thing to do and not the best way for a thinner person to go about adding muscle. So, I would like to go for bulking...but, I don't thing I can handle going up more than 5 lbs at a time. Would shorter bulking/cutting cycles work? Like bulk for a month, then cut for a month or maybe less, then go back to bulking? I keep reading that it's futile to bulk for less than 6 months...can someone tell me why?

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It sounds nice in theory but it's a. not efficient and b. not practical.

For a month of bulking/month of cutting you're basically assuming that you will hit the perfect caloric target on the head from day 1. In reality, you can only approximate a caloric intake appropriate for your goals and you will adjust that as necessary (generally on a weekly basis). So you would have to fluctuate between relatively extreme caloric levels to ensure that you were in an immediate caloric surplus when you were bulking and an immediate caloric deficit when cutting.

One other simple little thing is how you would track progress. Fluctuating between bulking and cutting on a relatively regular basis means your weight will fluctuate from changes in glycogen storage and water retention, more so than from bodyfat or muscular hypertrophy. Both the scale and the mirror will be deceptive and you will be hard pressed to know if you're actually progressing or not. When you're either bulking or cutting for an extended period of time and weighing yourself consistently any weight gain/loss will generally be either bodyfat or muscular hypertrophy, and it's easier to determine which.

Aside from that you're simply not going to see that much progress over a month, especially when bulking - even aiming for a pound of lean muscle mass would be excellent for one month! Similarly you're limiting your basic linear strength progression which would be best accentuated with a caloric surplus etc.

If you are diligent with your diet there's no reason to be nervous about adding more than 5lb's.
    Last edited by MrB1g; 02-19-2012 at 05:39 AM.

Thank you for the reply. So, it seems based on what you are saying about the difficulty of hitting the right calorie requirements, that what I am currently doing is pretty much wasting my time. Hmm, I must be eating more than I realize, because I am seeing steady strength gains and muscle growth. Maybe a slow, steady surplus is what I need to do. I've gained a pound or so this month, but have to admit that I'm itching to cut my calories to lose some fat.

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I can't say it any better than MrB1g, what he said was spot on. I started what I thought was a bulk at the end of October but basically spent November and December spinning my wheels, 1, because I was sure I had to be eating above maintenance; 2, even though I wasn't seeing increases on the scale even after that amount of time, I was scared to add more calories and subconsciously scared of gaining weight. I saw some strength gains in that time, and my pants started fitting differently(tighter) and I definitely saw changes in my body but I am small and really do have a lot of room to grow so I had to get over the fears and am glad I did.

Do you weigh/measure your food and track everything? I think it becomes important bc as MrB1g said, it takes a ton of trial and error to find maintenance. As I mentioned, I was sure I was eating above maintenance and stubbornly stuck to that amount of calories because it was what I calculated and thought it was accurate even though I was not gaining. Apparently it wasn't accurate and what I was eating was obviously my maintenance even though the calculations came up with 200 less.

Do some reading through the bulking thread - it might help you out a little. We all have fears of the same things you do, but it really is a process and you have to sort of put faith in it. Good luck with everything!
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

Originally Posted by DaniGrrl View Post
    I can't say it any better than MrB1g, what he said was spot on. I started what I thought was a bulk at the end of October but basically spent November and December spinning my wheels, 1, because I was sure I had to be eating above maintenance; 2, even though I wasn't seeing increases on the scale even after that amount of time, I was scared to add more calories and subconsciously scared of gaining weight. I saw some strength gains in that time, and my pants started fitting differently(tighter) and I definitely saw changes in my body but I am small and really do have a lot of room to grow so I had to get over the fears and am glad I did.

Do you weigh/measure your food and track everything? I think it becomes important bc as MrB1g said, it takes a ton of trial and error to find maintenance. As I mentioned, I was sure I was eating above maintenance and stubbornly stuck to that amount of calories because it was what I calculated and thought it was accurate even though I was not gaining. Apparently it wasn't accurate and what I was eating was obviously my maintenance even though the calculations came up with 200 less.

Do some reading through the bulking thread - it might help you out a little. We all have fears of the same things you do, but it really is a process and you have to sort of put faith in it. Good luck with everything!
    I am confused. It sounds like you WERE making progress in November and December because you saw strength gains and your clothes started fitting tighter. You also say you saw changes in your body. Are you saying that you would have seen more significant muscle growth with more calories?

I have gotten to the point in the gym where I am working with what I feel are heavy weights and working pretty hard...I'm wiped out and wobbly when I'm done. I really hate to think I'm not growing muscle because I'm not eating enough. I don't want to waste those hard workouts, but then again I don't want to fatten up any more than I have to because I've still got some fluff on my bottom and thighs.

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Laurensmom View Post
    I really hate to think I'm not growing muscle because I'm not eating enough. I don't want to waste those hard workouts, but then again I don't want to fatten up any more than I have to because I've still got some fluff on my bottom and thighs.
    you have to learn let go of that mindset - it'll get you nowhere. you can't gain muscle and not gain any fat.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Laurensmom View Post
    I am confused. It sounds like you WERE making progress in November and December because you saw strength gains and your clothes started fitting tighter. You also say you saw changes in your body. Are you saying that you would have seen more significant muscle growth with more calories?

I have gotten to the point in the gym where I am working with what I feel are heavy weights and working pretty hard...I'm wiped out and wobbly when I'm done. I really hate to think I'm not growing muscle because I'm not eating enough. I don't want to waste those hard workouts, but then again I don't want to fatten up any more than I have to because I've still got some fluff on my bottom and thighs.
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. The scale was staying the same for the most part through November and December, and while there were some strength gains, they were minimal compared to how much I've gained in the 3 weeks or so when I added about 300 more calories. And the scale was all over the place there which will happen when you add calories or carbs(what I added has mostly been carbs as I meet fat and protein requirements without a problem) due to water retention, etc. But that has seemed to even out and I am up 1/2 pound this week which isn't much but it's something and I think I'm on the right track, might even add some more calories, because like you said, you don't want to waste your workouts. And it's not that you're wasting them per se - but you'd make faster progress if you ate more most likely.

As far as the fluff, when you make lean gains, the fluff becomes less noticeable. I've seen post-bulk pics and while it does sound hard to put on any amount of weight, most of those women actually look better with the extra weight because of the lean gains they made. And not all of it is going to be fat. Unfortunately, some will be fat, but if you want more muscle, you have to accept that part and know it will be worth it.
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

Sounds promising

I see your point. While I have made minimal gains (my chest looks less bony, shoulders are fuller and back is thicker), my lower body in particular has not changed much at all. I am beginning to think the upper body changes are just newbie gains because I was sooo skinny and gaunt in my upper body before. I have done endurance training and road races in the past, so my legs were already stronger by comparison.

It's all a process though. When I started in November, I would never have eaten as much as I do now. I am finally starting to see the light with eating more when lifting heavy. Look forward to getting to know the gals in the bulking thread.