johnsben1029 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Not cutting or bulking - reshaping?

Hi. I have a question regarding calorie and macronutrient intake while following a lifting program for a newbie. If you keep calories around your baseline (not more for bulking or less for cutting) what will the resulting change in your body composition? Will this result in an increase in lean muscle mass, and a decrease in body fat?

All of this is assuming that protein intake is around 1.0 to 1.5 grams per lb. of bodyweight. I have seen lots of information about adding 500 calories, cutting 500 calories, but not the result of staying at your base requirement.

My guess is that working out will create a caloric deficit and I will shed some bodyfat. I am trying to keep my protein intake up to not lose out on any newb muscle gains.

I'm following All-pros lifting regimen for Beginners. I'm on week 3 day 1 today.

I'm 6'0" tall and weigh 206. Bodyfat (according to a scale in my bathroom) is 25%.

Thanks in advance

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's called a re-composition haha. Anyhow, it can be done but usually it requires a lot more time to provide a drastic change in your look as opposed to focusing on a cut or bulk specifically.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

johnsben1029 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the quick reply. I ask because I have a bet with a co-worker I can lose get to 195 lbs. by May 6 (now at 206). I would like to do this without the loss of any muscle gains I might be able to make as a new lifter. So...keep protein intake high, watch the carbs, and keep lifting?

senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by johnsben1029 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I ask because I have a bet with a co-worker I can lose get to 195 lbs. by May 6 (now at 206). I would like to do this without the loss of any muscle gains I might be able to make as a new lifter. So...keep protein intake high, watch the carbs, and keep lifting?
    Its more along the lines of eat adequate protein, eat at maintenance calories, and lift/exercise. You have to be very precise with your calories/diet (measure everything, always hit your calorie goals). Progress is significantly slower than cutting or bulking (it will take significantly longer to "recomp" than doing the equivalent amount of cutting then bulking). At 25% body fat, recomping is a 100% waste of time. Recomping is for people near their ideal weight/body fat who want to make a few adjustments without altering their current body.

Your just chasing what many people do, which is the holy grail of "get lean and big at the same time." Focus on cutting (eating 500-1000cals below maintenance). With beginner gains and less fat, you'll likely lift more and look like you have more muscles, basically accomplishing the goals you have in your mind. Read the stickies if you haven't already and ignore the body fat scale, they are grossly inaccurate (to the point of being useless). Good luck on your goals.