Expertus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Doorframe Chin-up bar?

I live in a dorm where the doorframe touches the ceiling, so I can only use a chin-up/pull-up bar that can go between the doorframe. I also can't use screws. So I was wondering where I can get a between the doorframe chin-up/pull-up bar that will also work without screws.

Thanks a lot guys.
    You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.

clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Expertus View Post
    I live in a dorm where the doorframe touches the ceiling, so I can only use a chin-up/pull-up bar that can go between the doorframe. I also can't use screws. So I was wondering where I can get a between the doorframe chin-up/pull-up bar that will also work without screws.

Thanks a lot guys.
    do you even need to ask this question? is it humanly possible to stretch a bar across 2 pieces of wood and hold it in place + your weight without using screws?

get a power tower. problem solve.

Location: Birmingham, Westmidlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000)
    There are those telescopic(?) bars but there probably the worst pull up bar you can get, not safe at all and will ruin the door frame,
    go to a local park, it should have something you can pull up off

The 'local' park is hardly local haha. I know those telescopic bars are considered unsafe but my dad said he used to use them all the time and it was fine, though he has no idea where to get them now.
    No way I could have a power tower in my dorm.
    I guess I can find something around here, thanks though guys.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    The 'local' park is hardly local haha. I know those telescopic bars are considered unsafe but my dad said he used to use them all the time and it was fine, though he has no idea where to get them now.
    Here's one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maximum-Back...item41614a58d4

It includes "mounting hardware for additional safety and security." You could infer that it's not required, but I don't know if that's true or not.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

ManOfOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to use the P90X chinup bar that rests in the door frame and easily removable. I would recommend it because it doesn't require any drilling or finding a specific location for it, any door way will do.

Hope this helps,

ManOfOne
    We can do allot on our own, but to do everything we all need an encouraging word from a friend.

mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thanks a lot guys.
    Do you really think they're going to notice 2 screw holes in the door frame?
    Look under your chair. YOU GET A REP, AND YOU GET A REP, REPS FOR EVERYONE! If I get a rep, you get a rep, every time. Give me a link to make my life a little easier.

If you don't give me a link and you didn't post in the thread you rep'd me in, I'm not gonna go searching for you. I'll get everyone on recharge.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm assuming that your dorm room is on a college campus. Are you not able to use the gym on campus? If I'm assuming incorrectly, is there a tree branch outside, a strong pipe hanging down in the basement, etc? I even used to do pullups on the molding over the door frame. THis was back when I did a lot of rock climbing, so I had a lot of finger strength!

You might be able to build a portable chin bar that you could take apart and store in your room, and put together quickly outside, down in the laundry room, whatever.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    I even used to do pullups on the molding over the door frame. THis was back when I did a lot of rock climbing, so I had a lot of finger strength!
    I used to do finger-tip pull-ups too.

I tried one a moment ago, just to see if I could still do it. I could, but the molding above the door protested a bit. So did my fingers - as I had to use a crimp grip. (But that's what I always used to use long ago too.)

Crimp grip:

FWIW, I agree with the suggestion of using the gym on campus.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've never seen a college that was big enough to have dorms that didn't also have a gym.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've never had a problem with the telescoping bars in the doorframe.

Just be smart when you use it - tug on it a few times to see if it gives. If not you should be fine.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    LOL, KBKB, I don't know that I could do a pullup on a door frame anymore! Reps to you!

clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    I've never had a problem with the telescoping bars in the doorframe.

Just be smart when you use it - tug on it a few times to see if it gives. If not you should be fine.

i've seen some of them, quite a few of them suggest you use screws ... you can use it without, but man it's a scary thought if it come loose while you're pulling.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by clockwork247 View Post
    i've seen some of them, quite a few of them suggest you use screws ... you can use it without, but man it's a scary thought if it come loose while you're pulling.
    The ones I am talking about don't have screws, they have rubber pads on the end.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

-Wendler

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Maybe you can add some backup support to the friction bar by propping a couple of notched boards under the bar. The boards could be stowed when not in use.
    Attached Images

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    just put a power rack in the middle of your room. it's a real converstation piece. if your glee club roomate doesn't like it maybe he'll spend less time in the room and all the better for you.

cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    The ones I am talking about don't have screws, they have rubber pads on the end.
    If you read the directions on those, they state they they must be used with the mounting brackets (which need to be screwed in). They are usually very clear that the bar cannot take the full weight of your body without being secured with those brackets. YouTube is full of videos of people using telescoping bars without the brackets, with hilarious results.

Originally Posted by cthulhupun View Post
    If you read the directions on those, they state they they must be used with the mounting brackets (which need to be screwed in). They are usually very clear that the bar cannot take the full weight of your body without being secured with those brackets. YouTube is full of videos of people using telescoping bars without the brackets, with hilarious results.
    yeah they leave a package of screw in there and tell you "do w/e the hell u wanna do", for me safety comes 1st, 1 bad fall and you might not be able to do another pull up your whole life, just think about it. the telescope bar is basically a giant screw, that can be tighten or loosen by twisting the bar... i'm so not taking a chance with that thing without the brackets.

Originally Posted by cthulhupun View Post
    I know the ones you're talking about, I'm not talking about those. The ones I am referring to do not come with brackets or screws. They were quite popular back in the day. If you fall using one it's user error not product failure. I used one for years when I was younger and never had a problem. In fact we had a difficult time taking the damn thing down.

I had another one my freshman year in college and it wasn't even in a doorway, it was a foyer/hallway "mounted" to painted cinder blocks and was wider than a standard door.
    Last edited by Cleveland33; 02-17-2012 at 04:58 AM.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

-Wendler

Hey guys, I've actually went ahead and made my own telescopic pull-up bar. It's been working great so far.

To the "they wouldn't notice two holes in the doorframe" well seeing how the doorframe is made out of metal, I'm pretty sure they would.

Also the campus does have a gym, but doesn't have a chin-up bar for god knows why. You see a lot of people setting up the bar on the rack to use as chin-up bar instead. I would love to do fingertip pull-ups using the doorframe like I used too at home, but the doorframe touches the ceiling - it's made so nothing can go on top of it.

Anyways, thanks guys. The telescoping bar works like a charm, but I don't plan to do any hanging crunches anytime soon on it.

sounds good. Remember, if you think you're gonna fall, put your feet down.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

-Wendler

mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey guys, I've actually went ahead and made my own telescopic pull-up bar. It's been working great so far.

To the "they wouldn't notice two holes in the doorframe" well seeing how the doorframe is made out of metal, I'm pretty sure they would.

Also the campus does have a gym, but doesn't have a chin-up bar for god knows why. You see a lot of people setting up the bar on the rack to use as chin-up bar instead. I would love to do fingertip pull-ups using the doorframe like I used too at home, but the doorframe touches the ceiling - it's made so nothing can go on top of it.

Anyways, thanks guys. The telescoping bar works like a charm, but I don't plan to do any hanging crunches anytime soon on it.
    What color is the doorframe? Put a piece of scotch tape over the holes and paint them the correct color at the end of the year.

My friend kicked a hole in the wall of his dorm room and got out of it, 2 eighth inch holes in the door frame will go unnoticed.
    Look under your chair. YOU GET A REP, AND YOU GET A REP, REPS FOR EVERYONE! If I get a rep, you get a rep, every time. Give me a link to make my life a little easier.

If you don't give me a link and you didn't post in the thread you rep'd me in, I'm not gonna go searching for you. I'll get everyone on recharge.