Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Carlakach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Build Muscle to loose weight? Or loose weight and then build muscle?

Hi, I am new here and I am sure I will have lots of questions. My son just told me about this website, he has been on here for awhile and thought I could learn a thing or two to help me out. He is currently serving overseas so I can't always ask him my questions. I am 47 and not in the greatest shape, I have recently joined a gym and am not sure what to do first. Do I concentrate on cardio to loose weight or do I lift weights to build muscle, or both? My husband says lower weight and more reps will help tone and higher weights with lower reps to build muscle. I just don't know which I should be doing....and he has been out of it for a long time so he isn't sure what to tell me either. We both want to loose about 50# but I would love to build some muscle in the process as well. I hope someone will be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks

securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I believe strength training would be your best bet... but it depends on your health. I would suggest you consult a good personal trainer for a few sessions. They can assess where you are and give you a plan. You can always post the plan here for a second opinion.

You should read this thread and the stickies in the nutrition section also...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129247741
    Last edited by securekey; 02-12-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Carla first thanks to your son for his service!! I was in the same situation as you and your husband last Jan. And did both at the same time. ( lost 74lbs) You can cut weight at the same as building lean muscle. Besides if you dont do some type of lifting program while your cutting weight about 22% of your weight loss will be lean muscle. Good Luck! Pike

geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I can't believe this has never been asked before on here!
    Just kidding man, good luck with your journey.
    Get your ass in the gym period!

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Pike717 View Post
    You can cut weight at the same as building lean muscle.
    While this CAN occur, it is unlikely. This will also depend on the individuals composition as well, so without information on weight, height, or even a photo it will be hard to determine what the proper dietary step is.

OP
    . Weight / mass, is a matter of intake vs out put. In other words, in order to drop weight, you need to consume less than you burn. While cardio is one way to create a caloric deficit, you can do the same by controlling your diet. This thread has a lot of great info.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

. Strength training. The rep and set scheme is irrelevant for the most part. When strength training, the single most important component is how you progress. Each workout should somehow be more than the last (either more weight, reps or sets).

Try All Pro's if you want a good basic program.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Again a photo or rough description would help in determining what course would be appropriate as far as diet surplus, deficit or maintenance).

Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    acrawling, Yes it is very likely!! Also why wouldnt Carla want to do cardio and be healthy and just eat under maint. and not be healthy? Pike

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Pike717 View Post
    acrawling, Yes it is very likely!! Also why wouldnt Carla want to do cardio and be healthy and just eat under maint. and not be healthy? Pike
    Gaining muscle and losing fat is much easier to accomplish in individuals well over their BMI and obese. For someone who is smaller, with lower mass.. building muscle and losing fat at the same time becomes increasingly difficult. At that point, focusing on a single goal MAY be more appropriate. With 50 pounds to lose, she may be able to build some muscle while losing fat, but again, more information is needed.

I never suggested she not do cardio. The OP asked about decreasing mass, not increasing cardiovascular health. While cardio is one way to create a deficit, simply controlling your diet is another (or a combination of both). Cardio definitely has numerous health benefits, but it is not needed to reduce size or fat.
    Last edited by acrawlingchaos; 02-12-2012 at 09:01 PM.

latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OP..what is your first goal? If you went in to the family doctor and asked him what you should do to lose weight and get healthier..the standard answer is what?
    eat less, eat better, walk...
    These are great first steps..the reason that a lot of doctors say this is because yes, it does work.
    Again I ask you..what is your goal? is it just to drop pounds and become thinner?

Yes you can add muscle while dropping body fat but..it is a slower process of change. The benefits are that you get to feel and look stronger on your journey to becoming a fit/healthy person.

If you are not familiar with a lot of the equipment at the gym and it looks kinda scary then YES
    find a personal trainer to get you used to using them. This is their job ya know

CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    simple answer. Go on a muscle gaining phase first. Let building lean mass be your main focus. After a couple of months... switch to focus on fat loss. Reason? the more muscle you have - the faster your metabolism. The more muscle you have - the greater your ability to burn fat. It doesn't get any more logical than that. Good luck!

BTW - as a beginner with a high BMI... you would likely lose a lot of fat while focusing on increasing your strength and muscle mass. Good luck again. hahahaah
    "The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Knowledge, but Fools Despise Wisdom and Discipline." Proverbs 1:7

linx2fitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi! I'm new on here, too. I agree with several of the people who suggested that you work with a personal trainer. There are so many factors involved in regaining your health and fitness level that trying to navigate through it alone is like setting sail for a tropical island in a ship without a rudder. Nearly impossible! Under the care of expert fitness trainers, I have lost over 20 lbs, gained strength back, have more stamina, and feel and look better than I have in years - and I'm almost 59! I have a few more pounds to go and I'll be right where I want to be. It's very exciting! Best wishes to you and your husband! Get focused, get motivated and get started!

billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hard to say without seeing you. Right now I am trying to maintain or lose weight and build muscle. I had about 14 pounds just fall off when I started weight training, but right now I am maintaining, I figure once I build up more muscle, my metabolism will improve and the weight will again start coming off slowly.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP, focus on one or the other. Be very careful about whose advice here you choose to follow. Some of it in this thread already is going to lead you to frustration. Read a lot (not just here), then read some more.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    While this CAN occur, it is unlikely. This will also depend on the individuals composition as well, so without information on weight, height, or even a photo it will be hard to determine what the proper dietary step is.

OP
    . Weight / mass, is a matter of intake vs out put. In other words, in order to drop weight, you need to consume less than you burn. While cardio is one way to create a caloric deficit, you can do the same by controlling your diet. This thread has a lot of great info.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

. Strength training. The rep and set scheme is irrelevant for the most part. When strength training, the single most important component is how you progress. Each workout should somehow be more than the last (either more weight, reps or sets).

Try All Pro's if you want a good basic program.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Again a photo or rough description would help in determining what course would be appropriate as far as diet surplus, deficit or maintenance).
    Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    Gaining muscle and losing fat is much easier to accomplish in individuals well over their BMI and obese. For someone who is smaller, with lower mass.. building muscle and losing fat at the same time becomes increasingly difficult. At that point, focusing on a single goal MAY be more appropriate. With 50 pounds to lose, she may be able to build some muscle while losing fat, but again, more information is needed.

I never suggested she not do cardio. The OP asked about decreasing mass, not increasing cardiovascular health. While cardio is one way to create a deficit, simply controlling your diet is another (or a combination of both). Cardio definitely has numerous health benefits, but it is not needed to reduce size or fat.
    Very good points in here. I'd definitely stick with the 8-12 rep range and strive to lift heavier or increase reps each session. The high rep range >= 20 for fat loss is a myth.

Create a deficit for fat loss. As a beginner you have a much better chance of gaining real mass. A year or so from now, that ability declines.

Weight lifting, the way most of us do it, is cardio. Our routines exceed any basic cardio requirements. I'd focus on the diet and weights and just do some active recovery outside of the gym. Like walking, stretching, gardening, biking... whatever floats your boat. If you are interested in performance type goals, then you'd need to do some type of related cardio.

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by latebloomingmom View Post
    If you are not familiar with a lot of the equipment at the gym and it looks kinda scary then YES
    find a personal trainer to get you used to using them. This is their job ya know

Not in every gym. At some gyms, trainers just train. And if you don't purchase sessions, they don't get paid. I'm all for helping people, but I'm not too keen on working for free.

If someone new wants a machine tutorial, they should ask the front desk attendant what the protocol is in their particular gym.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    OP, focus on one or the other. Be very careful about whose advice here you choose to follow. Some of it in this thread already is going to lead you to frustration. Read a lot (not just here), then read some more.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    Very good points in here. I'd definitely stick with the 8-12 rep range and strive to lift heavier or increase reps each session. The high rep range >= 20 for fat loss is a myth.
    This is precisely what the All Pro program does, 8-12 reps, (increase 1 rep weekly) once you reach 12 reps you rachet all the weight up 10% and drop back to 8 reps.

Create a deficit for fat loss. As a beginner you have a much better chance of gaining real mass. A year or so from now, that ability declines.
    This is what I thought. I wanted to take advantage of my noob gains to gain mass. If I cut first I would struggle down the road to add mass.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    This is precisely what the All Pro program does, 8-12 reps, (increase 1 rep weekly) once you reach 12 reps you rachet all the weight up 10% and drop back to 8 reps.

This is what I thought. I wanted to take advantage of my noob gains to gain mass. If I cut first I would struggle down the road to add mass.
    You won't struggle. You'd eat at a surplus at that time and gain some fat in the process. The question of which to do first depends on your health and your ability to tolerate gaining more fat on top of the excess already present.

I'm trying to eat enough that my lifts dont stall, but also lose weight, lifts havent stalled but weight has flatlined. It's a balancing act. Cant wait for spring when my pickup basketball league starts.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Jeans that are too big for you will have a loose fit. If there is a hole in your pocket you might lose your keys.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    Not in every gym. At some gyms, trainers just train. And if you don't purchase sessions, they don't get paid. I'm all for helping people, but I'm not too keen on working for free.

If someone new wants a machine tutorial, they should ask the front desk attendant what the protocol is in their particular gym.
    ooooh I assumed this would cost money

Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    I'm trying to eat enough that my lifts dont stall, but also lose weight, lifts havent stalled but weight has flatlined. It's a balancing act. Cant wait for spring when my pickup basketball league starts.
    You realize a deficit is a deficit. Whether it's by pickup basketball or diet. You can really work yourself into a slow mess by not picking one goal and going for it. Recompositioning does work, but it's very slow. And works better for fat loss.

I dont mind slow progress so long as I am progressing at something. Right now lifts are progressing.. I need to get a lot stronger just to see some muscle gains from the look of things.

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If OP needs to lose 50 lbs it's likely she can get a good start on that without doing any cardio at all. It's a lot easier to just not eat 250 calroies than it is to try to burn it off running on a treadmill.

I think OP would be better off managing her diet and lifting a few times/week, then adding in cardio later when the lbs don't come off as easy.

Just my $0.02
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    You realize a deficit is a deficit. Whether it's by pickup basketball or diet. You can really work yourself into a slow mess by not picking one goal and going for it. Recompositioning does work, but it's very slow. And works better for fat loss.
    There's a point of diminishing returns when cutting calories though, I'd rather eat at maintenance because my workouts suffer when I dont eat enough. That All Pro workout gets pretty hard fast.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    Be very careful about whose advice here you choose to follow. Some of it in this thread already is going to lead you to frustration. Read a lot (not just here), then read some more.
    I agree ( my broscience alarm is going off after reading parts of this thread ).
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

gradywatts will become famous soon enough. (+50) gradywatts will become famous soon enough. (+50) gradywatts will become famous soon enough. (+50) gradywatts will become famous soon enough. (+50) gradywatts will become famous soon enough. (+50) gradywatts will become famous soon enough. (+50) gradywatts will become famous soon enough. (+50) gradywatts will become famous soon enough. (+50) gradywatts will become famous soon enough. (+50) gradywatts will become famous soon enough. (+50) gradywatts will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    just my .02 here op, but if you are new to workingout, I would start with my nutrition and find what you enjoy doing in the gym. being active is the most important with out becoming frustrated in the beginning. Then as you become fitter, the things that intimidated you at the gym won't anymore and you will be more comfortabe to venture into other aspects of health. so lift or do cardio or both, your body your choice. just make sure you enjoy it.
    do not draw fire, it irritates everyone around you.

Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    I agree ( my broscience alarm is going off after reading parts of this thread ).
    I should have put an asterisk to my post, didn't realize OP was female, my goals and broscience are working for me thus far, other's experience may vary LOL

your answers change because the OP is a woman.......why?

Originally Posted by latebloomingmom View Post
    your answers change because the OP is a woman.......why?
    No offense, a woman is probably not as concerned with increased mass as much as losing a few dress sizes. My goal is not to get physically smaller in my extremities (I have small enough arms as it is).. and try and get to 20% BF at about 250 or so.

Right now i am about 27% at 274 so it looks like I have to do some combination of losing 24 lbs of fat and maintain or add to my muscle.

Also, I am not far enough in to know if I am even doing it right, so I don't know if I am the best person to be offering up advice for fat loss, considering I have only lost an initial 16 pounds and have been stalled for a few weeks.

CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CardinalRB34 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    If OP needs to lose 50 lbs it's likely she can get a good start on that without doing any cardio at all. It's a lot easier to just not eat 250 calroies than it is to try to burn it off running on a treadmill.

I think OP would be better off managing her diet and lifting a few times/week, then adding in cardio later when the lbs don't come off as easy.

Just my $0.02
    exactly. Just hopping off the couch for the first time in a while will do wonders while she simultaneously starts to clean up her eating a bit.
    "The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Knowledge, but Fools Despise Wisdom and Discipline." Proverbs 1:7