Maxsuzaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxsuzaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxsuzaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxsuzaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxsuzaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxsuzaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxsuzaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxsuzaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxsuzaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxsuzaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxsuzaka will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Noob question about DOMS

I'm not quite 35, I am 32 years old but felt this was the right place to post my question. I have been pretty out of shape for the past couple of years. about a month and a half ago I started rowing 30 min to an hour a day. After about 3-4 weeks (haven't been keeping good records) I started adding weight lifting exercises to my fitness program. I do Arms chest and shoulders on Monday then I do Legs/Back on either Thursday or Friday depending on my work schedule. Generaly i do 3 or 4 different lifts per muscle group to failure for three sets. I have gone from 220 LBS to 207 during this period of time. After each lift day I get DOMS, not a problem lets me know I lifted heavy, however for the past three weeks the DOMS are not going away by the time I come back to that body part a week later. This week I added a BCAA mix during my work outs in addition to the Dark matter post work out shake this I have been using all along. Since I added the BCAA I have not experienced the DOMS at all. If I don't get doms the next day and feel like I am completely recovered within 30 min to and hour or my work out is that a sign that I am not working hard enough?
    Thanks for your replies.

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That was a long ass question

I let my progression be an indicator of my workouts not my soreness. If you are adding weight or reps or both then you are heading in the right direction. DOMS will always be higher when you first start working out, or start training a muscle or for me it can happen when I change the way I train the muscle.

Also, keep better records...srs....how will you know where you are going if you don't know when you have been. Take a second and right down what you are doing and the weights you are doing them at.

Lastly if you want even more answers to your question type in DOMS in that little search area...you will find a gazillion and one threads on this very same subject.

Good luck.

Consistency. Intensity. Medtreker's Avatar
    Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have found, when DOMS don't go away by the time you're working out again, you're aiming towards an overtraining period. You need more rest. Mostly when theDOMS you have are a part of the same body part(s) you'll be working out. Say it's leg DOMS, it sets in 24-36 hour after a big leg workoiut, and today your doing deadlift. You go into deadlift with leg DOMS and you'll be feeling overtrained. Apply that basic principle to all body parts. It catches up with you, and you start to feel constant fatigue.

Now if the DOMS are going a week long, that is trouble.
    Tony

"Punch It Bishop"

Peter_Klim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Peter_Klim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Peter_Klim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Peter_Klim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Peter_Klim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Peter_Klim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Peter_Klim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Peter_Klim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Peter_Klim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Peter_Klim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Peter_Klim will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What does the term "DOMS" mean?

Consistency. Intensity. Medtreker's Avatar
    Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Peter_Klim View Post
    Deadly Ongoing Menstral Symptoms
    Tony

"Punch It Bishop"

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed...uscle_soreness

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Maxsuzaka View Post
    I'm not quite 35, I am 32 years old but felt this was the right place to post my question. I have been pretty out of shape for the past couple of years. about a month and a half ago I started rowing 30 min to an hour a day. After about 3-4 weeks (haven't been keeping good records) I started adding weight lifting exercises to my fitness program. I do Arms chest and shoulders on Monday then I do Legs/Back on either Thursday or Friday depending on my work schedule. Generaly i do 3 or 4 different lifts per muscle group to failure for three sets. I have gone from 220 LBS to 207 during this period of time. After each lift day I get DOMS, not a problem lets me know I lifted heavy, however for the past three weeks the DOMS are not going away by the time I come back to that body part a week later. This week I added a BCAA mix during my work outs in addition to the Dark matter post work out shake this I have been using all along. Since I added the BCAA I have not experienced the DOMS at all. If I don't get doms the next day and feel like I am completely recovered within 30 min to and hour or my work out is that a sign that I am not working hard enough?
    Thanks for your replies.
    What you are experiencing is likely not DOMS but general soreness, which in itself can be painful. DOMS is a product of muscle tissue damage beyond usual and happens predominately when someone is new to working out, or starts a new program, working muscle tissues from angles and at stressor levels that haven't been seen. Again, not everyone actually has to deal with DOMS, which can be debilitating, for instance to the point you could hardly put a shirt on, or would have a very hard time walking or setting.

Others disagree with me on this next point, but if you are still VERY sore when it comes time to work a particular muscle, it's my opinion, (and Dorian Yates' for that matter) that you should allow more rest time for that muscle. Two extra days of rest isn't going to make one difference in your training and may in fact be beneficial. As far as you starting the bcaa's and soreness disappearing, I would suggest that you either are experiencing a placebo effect or you became accustomed to the load in accordance with taking the supp.

There has been some evidence that supplementing with EAA's can aid in recovery, but I don't believe to the point that it eliminates general soreness. Your general lack of experiencing what the level of soreness you were experiencing is again, likely do to adaptation.

Delayed onset muscle soreness
    Last edited by rand18m; 02-11-2012 at 06:00 PM.