Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bbdude1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbdude1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbdude1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbdude1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbdude1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbdude1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbdude1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbdude1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbdude1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbdude1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbdude1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Calories burned during push ups

How many calories are burned during push ups? Does anyone know?
    Bodybuilding literally saved my life.

Lift Starting/Current
    Squat 160/365
    Deadlift 150/455
    Bench 140/315
    DB Overhead Press 30's/85's

boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000)
    0.825 calories per push up.

But seriously, why do you even care?

With that said, all references to calories burned during xxx activity is by doing that activity for a decent period of time, usually at least an hour.

ie. http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist.htm

And unfortunately, push ups is not on that list.

Hey im polish too Deathstriker666's Avatar
    Deathstriker666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Deathstriker666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Deathstriker666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Deathstriker666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Deathstriker666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Deathstriker666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Deathstriker666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Deathstriker666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Deathstriker666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Deathstriker666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Deathstriker666 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yes it is

shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The calories burned during your lifting or cardio are not nearly as important as the calories you burn while you are not lifting or doing cardio.

No struggle, No progress niiick's Avatar
    niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000) niiick is just really nice. (+1000)
    i wouldn't rely on push-ups for fat burning, sorry bro :P

Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1 hour Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort = 690
    1 hour Calisthenics, home, light/moderate effort = 388

Have fun with doing 1 hour of vigorous push-ups.

As it is mainly an upper-body exercise, it is not as efficient by far as exercises which include the large muscles of the legs more.

Regards,
    Aquilius

Dimensionally Gifted KingOfChaos's Avatar
    KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by niiick View Post
    i wouldn't rely on push-ups for fat burning, sorry bro :P
    They do help with chest lifts, though.
    http://www.alanaragon.com/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
    http://www.leangains.com/

jeffguroo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Seriously?

Only 18 calories... ?!
    When I was in the ARMY we had PT tests. Since I was under SOCOM for my weight and age(235lbs and 22 at that time) I had to do 80 push-ups in 2 minutes. These were military reg push-ups... none of that sissy crap with partial down, partial up, resting on the ground,arched back, those do not count. Normally I exceeded the minimum and did around 110 that were counted (120 or so total). You can not tell me that it only expended 18 calories. The measure of a calorie is the energy expended to heat one gram of water one degree centigrade at one atmosphere of pressure. Just the fact of heating 106,594.2 grams(lets say 50,000 grams for the core) of body mass smashes 18 calories from the calculator all to hell.

Lubranoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jeffguroo View Post
    Only 18 calories... ?!
    When I was in the ARMY we had PT tests. Since I was under SOCOM for my weight and age(235lbs and 22 at that time) I had to do 80 push-ups in 2 minutes. These were military reg push-ups... none of that sissy crap with partial down, partial up, resting on the ground,arched back, those do not count. Normally I exceeded the minimum and did around 110 that were counted (120 or so total). You can not tell me that it only expended 18 calories. The measure of a calorie is the energy expended to heat one gram of water one degree centigrade at one atmosphere of pressure. Just the fact of heating 106,594.2 grams(lets say 50,000 grams for the core) of body mass smashes 18 calories from the calculator all to hell.
    Where did u learn math from? 110 * .825 = 90.75 calories (for 110 pushups) & 80 * .825 = 66 calories (for 80 pushups)

PAROXYSM75 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PAROXYSM75 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PAROXYSM75 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PAROXYSM75 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Push-ups

Ive gone to school to have credentials to speak fitness training so...calories burned for push-ups I dnt know...however I want to let people who want to be huge and lean know that...I did 300-400 push-ups five day's a week for three months and put on size and dropped body fat down to a six pack abs. And I have struggled with weight lose ever since I wrestled. My arms and chest and back swelled up like I was on juice...no joke. Do your push-ups like I did and good things will happen. Results like every day.

JonnyDarko is not very well liked. (-100) JonnyDarko is not very well liked. (-100) JonnyDarko is not very well liked. (-100) JonnyDarko is not very well liked. (-100) JonnyDarko is not very well liked. (-100) JonnyDarko is not very well liked. (-100) JonnyDarko is not very well liked. (-100) JonnyDarko is not very well liked. (-100) JonnyDarko is not very well liked. (-100) JonnyDarko is not very well liked. (-100) JonnyDarko is not very well liked. (-100)
    It's liberal but you can more or less just round to 1 calorie for any rep of calisthenic/compound exercises you do and that's your answer. Unless you're doing something like 100 squat thrusts, don't expect a liberal number of calories to be burned by these exercises.

If your fat loss requirements are that high, stick with running or swimming. Biking is OK but is very crutching so it's a double edged sword in terms of cardio. It's degree of payoff is simply a matter of technique and discipline. I've done 20+ miles several times a week on a single gear trick bike and saw minor calories burned but a large increase in muscle tone and stamina.

So say you're like me, in need of getting rid of that last 20 lbs, diet and strength training with a bit of cardio is the best bet. Without the added muscle to break down what is likely cellulite, you could get to the point of looking emaciated and the problem areas will still have that fat and it's easy to tell the difference between loose skin and fat my friends.
    Push ups have helped more than any other calisthenic/compound exercise in terms of belly shrinkage and toning, even more than 1,000+ double crunches a day and 100+ sit ups.

I was down to 155, am VERY broad framed and large boned yet at 6 feet tall, I still had a bicycle sized spare tire and a neck collar of fat.
    Conclusion?
    It's cellulite and getting rid of it will be the hardest thing you ever do in your life!
    When it's cellulite AKA abnormal fat, you can easily tell because you'll hit a brick wall with your dieting and basic exercises.
    So all us ex lardos need to focus on piling on liberal amounts of muscle from toes to eyelids.

My advice is crank up your protein intake, find a cardio you can keep up with and alternate. Weights one day, cardio the next.
    Last edited by JonnyDarko; 04-21-2010 at 11:54 AM.

mikeyb79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeyb79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeyb79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeyb79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeyb79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeyb79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeyb79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeyb79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeyb79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeyb79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikeyb79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    IMO a calisthenics routine combined with cardio CAN help lose weight and build muscle. The problem with most routines is they are static. 80 push ups, for example - sure it's a good number of push ups to be able to do continuously, but once your done, then what? Do you do 80 push ups each time you work out, or do you continually increase the number as you progress to push yourself as you would with weights?

There's a few cool programs out there that can be combined for reasonable results. They will not replace weight training for building muscle but if someone is doing just cardio, doing some of these workouts on off-days can definitely help (and they do the difficulty escalation for you):

hundredpushups.com
    twohundredsitups.com
    twohundredsquats.com
    twentyfivepullups.com

gwydionforge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwydionforge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Engineering Junior

I am an Engineering student, and was curious how many calories I burned doing pushups so I calculated the work done in a pushup given the weight on my hands and the distance traveled at my shoulders.

My weight at my hands was 155lb and I estimated I moved that weight about one ft.

Work=force X distance I get 155ftlbs and that converted to about 50 calories of work.

My question is that is the mechanical work done lifting that weight, but considering it still uses calories as I lower that weight, plus the exertion of tensing my core muscles to keep a rigid profile I figure the actual number of calories burned should be slightly higher.

This would be specific depending on the weight of the person in the pushup position and distance traveled.

Any thoughts?

Drew

Iechine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iechine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iechine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iechine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iechine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iechine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iechine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iechine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iechine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iechine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iechine will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well. 500-1000 pushups a day done in sets of 100, I can vouche that its not a big calorie expenditure. I'd imagine its minuscule, given that it takes about 70-80 seconds to do that and running a mile only burns about 130-150 calories. So Im going to say its pretty small.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by gwydionforge View Post
    I am an Engineering student, and was curious how many calories I burned doing pushups so I calculated the work done in a pushup given the weight on my hands and the distance traveled at my shoulders.

My weight at my hands was 155lb and I estimated I moved that weight about one ft.

Work=force X distance I get 155ftlbs and that converted to about 50 calories of work.

My question is that is the mechanical work done lifting that weight, but considering it still uses calories as I lower that weight, plus the exertion of tensing my core muscles to keep a rigid profile I figure the actual number of calories burned should be slightly higher.

This would be specific depending on the weight of the person in the pushup position and distance traveled.

Any thoughts?

Drew
    im not an engineer, but would 50 cals ahve to be converted to kcal, or .05 cals? i honestly dont know, but 50 cals per pushup? nah

gwydionforge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwydionforge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by lee__d View Post
    im not an engineer, but would 50 cals ahve to be converted to kcal, or .05 cals? i honestly dont know, but 50 cals per pushup? nah
    What do you mean converted to kcal? Are calories in food and exercise measured in kilocalorie? That would make sense with my calculations and what I found online about pushups.

Drew

cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by gwydionforge View Post
    What do you mean converted to kcal? Are calories in food and exercise measured in kilocalorie? That would make sense with my calculations and what I found online about pushups.

Drew
    Yes, you need to divide by 1000 lol. 1 kilocalorie = 1 "food" calorie.
    Barely decent crew

ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Over 36,000 views mind=blown

cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ginosko View Post
    Over 36,000 views mind=blown
    Thread is almost 4 years old
    Barely decent crew

ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cyco85 View Post
    Thread is almost 4 years old
    I know, but the thread is only one page. Must be one of the first hits on Google.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by cyco85 View Post
    Yes, you need to divide by 1000 lol. 1 kilocalorie = 1 "food" calorie.
    Yea, that's what I was getting at

A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) A.S.T.09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mikeyb79 View Post
    IMO a calisthenics routine combined with cardio CAN help lose weight and build muscle. The problem with most routines is they are static. 80 push ups, for example - sure it's a good number of push ups to be able to do continuously, but once your done, then what? Do you do 80 push ups each time you work out, or do you continually increase the number as you progress to push yourself as you would with weights?

There's a few cool programs out there that can be combined for reasonable results. They will not replace weight training for building muscle but if someone is doing just cardio, doing some of these workouts on off-days can definitely help (and they do the difficulty escalation for you):

hundredpushups.com
    twohundredsitups.com
    twohundredsquats.com
    twentyfivepullups.com
    Would doing those routines while also doing a weight training routine be alright? For example, in the mornings I work with weights, so would it be advisable to do one of those programs in the evenings? I don't have a pull up bar so the push ups (maybe), squats, and sit ups would be good for me.

Hickyhicks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Push ups

Originally Posted by Deathstriker666 View Post
    yes it is
    hahaha

Hickyhicks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by shadyniner View Post
    The calories burned during your lifting or cardio are not nearly as important as the calories you burn while you are not lifting or doing cardio.
    why not?

TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000)
    Please elaborate on this^^^...I'm having a ****ty day and need some comedic relief.

Kashkillz is not very well liked. (-100) Kashkillz is not very well liked. (-100) Kashkillz is not very well liked. (-100) Kashkillz is not very well liked. (-100) Kashkillz is not very well liked. (-100) Kashkillz is not very well liked. (-100) Kashkillz is not very well liked. (-100) Kashkillz is not very well liked. (-100) Kashkillz is not very well liked. (-100) Kashkillz is not very well liked. (-100) Kashkillz is not very well liked. (-100)
    Personally, I'm not looking to use push-ups as a calorie burner. But, keeping numbers on my intake & expenditure... it would be handy to know.

I'm sure specifics would get complicated. Obviously body size is a variable, possibly age. Then there's the fact that the 20th push-up is certainly using more energy than the first. So 10 a pop to get 200 a day isn't the same as 4 sets of 50.

DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    "It doesn't matter what exercise you do, but man was made to move, to eat sparingly, to work hard and to screw as much as he can manage. Do all that, and you will look as good as your genes will let you, be content as the arseholes around you will allow, and maybe get a few screws. The particular virtues of weight training are in the discipline it brings to both mind and body, and, if you do it right, it will make you look good naked and do well what you got your clothes off to do." Georgeoz

musclexinxmpls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Negativity

Wow there's a lot of negativity on these boards.. sorry to see given this is meant to be a supportive environment.

Why is this question a bad question to ask? We have no idea of the context. If someone is trying to determine how many calories they burn in an hour of say pushups, pullups, situps, say for a specific WOD (where you actually do a full hour of three exercises), then it's a good question. They might be trying to get a more accurate estimate than just "one hour of lifting vigorously = xxx calories".

Anyways, lighten up people.

Originally Posted by bbdude1988 View Post
    How many calories are burned during push ups? Does anyone know?

mcaton2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcaton2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcaton2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcaton2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcaton2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mcaton2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Agreed. Burning calories by exercising is a sub-par way to burn fat.
    The Ultimate Guide to Naturally Increasing Testosterone Will Show You:

How Xenoestrogens Are Destroying Your Testosterone, And How To Avoid Them...

One Hormone That Lets You Easily Increase Testosterone At Will...

Four Little Known Testosterone Killers...

Watch The Free Presentation At: TakeBackYourT.com
    And I'll Show You One Uncommon Food That Doubles Testosterone...

AND $10 Off For BodyBuilding.com Members...
    COUPON CODE: Body

Matthew Caton NSCA-CPT
    Take Back Your T LLC

JRGaffley will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRGaffley will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRGaffley will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRGaffley will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRGaffley will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRGaffley will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRGaffley will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRGaffley will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRGaffley will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRGaffley will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRGaffley will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So if I was 74.5Kg or 164lb at 12% body fat, and was to do 40 one arm deep pushups(20 per arm, no rest between) and then 60 pushups with my feet raised 50cm on my bed how many calories u rate I burned?

Thanks Okes