MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Unorthodox Training

So I've started my 2nd cycle of my Unorthodox Training routine. The first time I ran through the cycle, I did it for 8 weeks (2 four week cycles). I'm now doing it for 12 weeks (3 four week cycles) and keeping accurate records of gains, lifts, strength, etc., to track how effective this program really is. Now I don't have my Ph.D is fitness and exercise but I have done some research and can give some first hand experience.

I would like anyone with more knowledge than myself, to really disect this program and see if my theories are correct. If anyone would like to try this - I would ask that they keep me updated with their progress so that I know, whether or not, this program is beneficial.

Here's how it works:
    5 days working out (Monday - Friday) with 2 days off (Sat-Sun).
    3 "key" days (Mon, Wed, Fri) will be set aside for your main "big" muscles (Back, Legs, and Chest).
    2 "light" days (Tues and Thur) will be for other muscles (Calves, Traps, Abs, Lower Back).
    Each exercise will consist of 11 sets and 151 reps.
    2 exercies will be performed during the 3 "key" days.

Purpose: As you will see below, there are a lot of sets (heavy and light). My theory is that the first two sets are warm up sets. The third set is to prep your body for heavy weight that is to follow. Sets 4/5, 6/7, 8/9 are super sets. We lift heavy weight at first to really rip the muscle fibers and then immediately following lift lighter weight to push that blood into the targeted area. The last super set (10/11), is a topper to really get the blood pushed into the targeted area and get a good pump.

Focus: The main focus of these 11 sets is not how much weight you push on set 4, 6, and 8, but how much weight can you push on set, 2, 5, 7, 9, 10, and 11. The 15 reps with the lighter weight, I believe, is what really makes the muscles grow. These sets, done with good form, should be heavy enough where you want to stop at 10 reps. Pause and catch your breath, and then finish the last 5 strong. If you can do 15 reps straight through, you'll need to adjust the weight.

So enough with the talk - here's the meat and potatoes of the program (using DB curls as an example).
    Set 1 - 20 reps: 10lbs.
    Set 2 - 15 reps: 15lbs. (remember this weight!!!)
    rest
    Set 3 - 12 reps: 25lbs. (1st working set)
    rest
    Set 4 - 10 reps: 30lbs. (2nd working set)
    Set 5 - 15 reps: 15lbs. *when doing arms - super set one arm before moving onto the next arm!!!
    rest
    Set 6 - 8 reps: 35lbs. (3rd working set)
    Set 7 - 15 reps: 15lbs.
    rest
    Set 8 - 6 reps: 40lbs. (4th working set)
    Set 9 - 15 reps: 15lbs.
    rest
    Set 10 - 15 reps: 15lbs.
    Set 11 - 20 reps: 20lbs.

Tips:
    Figure out what your heavy weight will be (set 8). Once you pick your heavy weight, move backwards from there. That should determine how heavy you'll go for your set of 15's and 20's. As you can see above, I went up 5 lbs every working set, but there's no rule saying that you can move up 10 or even 20 lbs for each working set (20# increments is what I normally do for back squats).

Now that we outlines what an exercise will look like, here is what to be worked on for each day.
    Week 1:
    Monday: Back - Lat Pull Down and Biceps - DB Curl
    Wednesday: Legs - Leg Extention and Shoulders - DB Arnold Press
    Friday: Chest - BB Bench Press and Triceps - Over the head rope extensions

Week 2:
    Monday: Back - Bent Over Rows and Biceps - Seated DB Curl
    Wednesday: Legs - Hamstring Press and Shoulders - Machine Press (palms facing each other)
    Friday: Chest - Cable Cross Overs and Triceps - DB Kickbacks

Week 3:
    Monday: Back - Pull Ups (use weighted if possible) and Biceps - Hammer Curls
    Wednesday: Legs - Back Squats and Shoulders - Side DB Lateral Raises
    Friday: Chest - DB Decline Bench Press and Triceps - One hand pulldowns (do both - palm up and down)

Week 4:
    Monday: Back - Seated Rows and Biceps - Chin Ups
    Wednesday: Legs - DB Lunges and Shoulder - Standing DB Press
    Friday: Chest - Incline BB Bench and Triceps - 2 hand pulldown

Keep in mind, during the second cycle (weeks 5 - 8) feel free to change things up a bit. For example, instead of a back squat, do a front squat. Instead of a incline BB bench, do an incline DB bench. As long as the "gerenal" exercise is the same.

Also, again, Tuesdays and Thursdays are other muscles you feel need work. I usually do Abs on both days (following the above routine), along with traps and calves. Pullovers are also mixed in to work the serratus and forarms.

So, let me know what everyone thinks. I'd love to get feed back. I've got 3 people at work doing this routine and they're seeing some good gains. They're 42, 50 and 55 years old and their diet is not in line, but the fact they are still seeing gains gives me hope that this program could work very well for the general public.

Thanks!
    [ 300 Spartan Crew ]

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MP525i View Post
    So enough with the talk - here's the meat and potatoes of the program (using DB curls as an example).
    Set 1 - 20 reps: 10lbs.
    Set 2 - 15 reps: 15lbs. (remember this weight!!!)
    rest
    Set 3 - 12 reps: 25lbs. (1st working set)
    rest
    Set 4 - 10 reps: 30lbs. (2nd working set)
    Set 5 - 15 reps: 15lbs. *when doing arms - super set one arm before moving onto the next arm!!!
    rest
    Set 6 - 8 reps: 35lbs. (3rd working set)
    Set 7 - 15 reps: 15lbs.
    rest
    Set 8 - 6 reps: 40lbs. (4th working set)
    Set 9 - 15 reps: 15lbs.
    rest
    Set 10 - 15 reps: 15lbs.
    Set 11 - 20 reps: 20lbs
    The rest was all but unreadable.

The above is a very inefficient way to train. You are using a lot of 15lb sets, that are only 37.5% of your 6RM(40lbs, which should be around 85% of your max), or only about 32% intensity(percent of max) for normal humans.

Far better would be to do something like ramping six rep sets up to your 40 x 6, then drop to something like 5 x 10 x up to around 60% of max, say around 28lb. So we round that to say 30lbs. Even one drop set x 20 reps at around 60% would probably be better than what you are doing, and far less time consuming.

I'm a grandfather, and most of my work for extra hypertrophy/strength endurance/conditioning/pump/bringing up weak parts/balance is 5 x 10 x up to 60% after heavy strength work.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    any other feedback??
    [ 300 Spartan Crew ]

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It looks like P90X for women.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    It looks like P90X for women.
    could you elaborate???

jgreystoke - i see what you're getting at. however, i'm finding this to improve my endurance as well as my overall strength. over the past few weeks, i've cut down some (lower body fat) while keeping my body weight hovering around 167. i've also noticed a slight increase in stregth.

i used to do what you mentioned above and my muscles wouldn't grow. after incorporating this, switching to a 5x5 routine and then going back to this, i've seen the biggest and best gains in a few short weeks than all my years of trianing.

i know you disregarded my other information, but re-read my logic as to why i think this works.

thanks.
    [ 300 Spartan Crew ]

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    could you elaborate???
    s.
    curling 10 lb and 15 lb dumbbells is for women. Doing 11 sets of curls is something stupid like P90x would proscribe. Combine them and you get my comment.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    could you elaborate???

jgreystoke - i see what you're getting at. however, i'm finding this to improve my endurance as well as my overall strength. over the past few weeks, i've cut down some (lower body fat) while keeping my body weight hovering around 167. i've also noticed a slight increase in stregth.

i used to do what you mentioned above and my muscles wouldn't grow. after incorporating this, switching to a 5x5 routine and then going back to this, i've seen the biggest and best gains in a few short weeks than all my years of trianing.

i know you disregarded my other information, but re-read my logic as to why i think this works.

thanks.
    If it works for you, go for it.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    curling 10 lb and 15 lb dumbbells is for women. Doing 11 sets of curls is something stupid like P90x would proscribe. Combine them and you get my comment.
    good positive feedback.

try it before you knock it. 40lbs in my max when i curl for 6 reps (standing concentration curl - in front of the body). if you can do more, do more.... i would try this routine next time and let me know how your arms feel afterward..... or you continue being a d0uche...
    [ 300 Spartan Crew ]