cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50)

A full year of training cycles

I made 4 training cycle options listed below. I have 4 versions so I can choose one based on the client's goals, and where they are starting.

***UPDATE***I train people who have been lifting for a while and will work their schedules around training. I only take on serious clients, which is why I formed these methods of periodization to help them continuously build muscle. The options are just guidelines, I do modify for each client based on their progress. I really just want an opinion on the details of the options I made and if they are practical. There are a lot of periodization methods for BODYBUILDERS so I want to find out what people think is best, not just from what I have below, but from other sources.****

**Option 1 - This is for someone who is lean and wants to gain size, and then lower bodyfat for summer or a contest etc:

6 months-hypertrophy 8-10 reps, 4-5 sets, with the last two sets heavier 75-85% 1RM
    3 months-fatloss 3 sets supersetting 10-12 reps, 50-65% 1RM
    3 months-maintenance 8-12 reps, 4-5 sets, 65-70% 1RM.
    Repeat
    There is a training break of a week to 2wks every 8-10 weeks.

**Option 2 - This is for the same person, but this option will devote more time to building muscle.

8 months-hypertrophy 8-10 reps, 4-5 sets with the last two sets heavier 75-85% 1RM
    3 months-fatloss, 3 sets supersetting, 10-12 reps, 50-65% 1RM
    1 months-maintenance 8-12 reps, 4-5 sets, 65-70% 1RM
    Repeat

**Option 3 - This is for the same person, but the fatloss and maintenance phases are the same length.

8 months-hypertrophy 8-10 reps, 4-5 sets with the last two sets heavier 75-85% 1RM
    2 months-fatloss, 3 sets supersetting, 10-12 reps, 50-65% 1RM
    2 months-maintenance 8-12 reps, 4-5 sets, 65-70% 1RM
    Repeat

***Option 4 - This is for a person who comes in with fat to lose, then wants to gain muscle and then wants to lean down to show off the muscle.

3 months-fatloss, 3 sets supersetting, 10-12 reps, 50-65% 1RM, doing 10-20 minutes of moderate cardio after each weight training session. There are 3 dedicated cardio days/wk, 30 - 60 mins/session. One of those days has to be HIIT or bootcamp style.
    6 months-hypertrophy 8-10 reps, 4-5 sets with the last two sets heavier 75-85% 1RM
    3 months-maintenance 8-12 reps, 4-5 sets, 65-70% 1RM
    The next year, he or she will pick up option 1, 2 or 3.

I can adjust the months needed for each phase in option 4 to accommodate a particular client as well.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by cftstorres; 02-10-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: UPDATE
    http://www.brokesinglemomfitness.com

I train for my sanity, not vanity

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    No foundational phases, ever? And why would they need a "break" for two weeks every 8-10 weeks? In option 4 you are starting people off with things like supersets and bootcamp movements? You should probably read up on proper periodization.

Don't try to pigeonhole people into one of four different periodization plans. If you are going to do that, base it on the individual and their goals at the time, not just plan things for a year in advance. You can use these as examples if you are trying to show clients what they would be getting into, but you really need to tailor them specifically. Just my opinion of course.

littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you haven't read Periodization by Tudor Bompa, I highly recommend you do. Anatomical adaptation is something you are missing yet is very important.

As for the options system you've outlined, I try to stay away from cookie cutter programs (or cookie cutter periodization) as everyone has individual needs.
    --CUBE--
    Raw Lifter, 242
    Next Meet: Depends when COVID-19 chills out...
    RPS Canadian Nationals 2016: 460/330/500
    RPS Canadian Nationals 2015: 410/295/450

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think that personal trainers shouldn't periodise.

Clients aren'r professional athletes, they'll have interruptions to their training, some like holidays planned, others like illness or extra work or laziness unplanned. So you can't periodise. As well, a client may not actually be with you for a whole year. The best you can do is to have GPP/hypertrophy/endurance/whatever phases, where you spend a few weeks focusing on one aspect.

This gets less than optimal results. But that's okay, most PT clients don't have super-ambitious goals. If you can get the typical PT to a healthy bodyfat, touch their toes, squat 60 and deadlift 100kg, and run 5km in under 30'00", most will be thrilled. You need complex periodisation for athletes, to get the last 5% out of their performance. You don't need it to get the first 50% of a person's performance.

cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    No foundational phases, ever? And why would they need a "break" for two weeks every 8-10 weeks? In option 4 you are starting people off with things like supersets and bootcamp movements? You should probably read up on proper periodization.

Don't try to pigeonhole people into one of four different periodization plans. If you are going to do that, base it on the individual and their goals at the time, not just plan things for a year in advance. You can use these as examples if you are trying to show clients what they would be getting into, but you really need to tailor them specifically. Just my opinion of course.
    All the phases I mentioned can be tailored for each client. However, I'm training people who want to put on size and already have been trying on their own for over for a while.

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post

Clients aren'r professional athletes, they'll have interruptions to their training, some like holidays planned, others like illness or extra work or laziness unplanned. So you can't periodise. As well, a client may not actually be with you for a whole year. The best you can do is to have GPP/hypertrophy/endurance/whatever phases, where you spend a few weeks focusing on one aspect.

This gets less than optimal results. But that's okay, most PT clients don't have super-ambitious goals. If you can get the typical PT to a healthy bodyfat, touch their toes, squat 60 and deadlift 100kg, and run 5km in under 30'00", most will be thrilled. You need complex periodisation for athletes, to get the last 5% out of their performance. You don't need it to get the first 50% of a person's performance.
    Thanks I'll read the article you linked.

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post

Great article and approach to training.

jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was going to say, much of the periodization talk is based on around athletes. I've yet to train an athlete and if one came to me I'd likely try and recommend them to a certified coach.

For myself, I start clients off light unless I know they have a resistance training background, even then it doesn't hurt to start light. A lot of people don't have a basic solid base in fitness even if they've been dicking around in the gym for years. As KyleAaron stated, regular folks routinely have interruptions. Periodization allows you to manage training loads, rest and allow for peak performance when an athlete competes. It doesn't have as much importance to the everyday person as it could.

To prevent a plateau, and overtraining some form of periodization needs to be incorporated in every long-term training routine. I only work with people who plan on competing in BODYBUILDING or want to do fitness modeling. I don't train the guy or girl who thinks taking the stairs over the elevator is a major improvement. With that being said, in terms of bodybuilding and putting on mass, proper recovery (training breaks as I mentioned above), maintenance and fatloss needs to be planned. I'm not saying the plan has to be set in stone, but there needs to be some general guidelines, and those are the options I put above.

I have my own "periodization" schedule for myself. I incorporated it 2 years ago. I got the idea after reading a few books from Chris Aceto. It works well for me and the other people who suggested the book for me. I include a strength training phase also. That gives me the ability to lift heavier when I go back to the hypertophy phase. All of the different phases are important in order for me to continuously make improvements. It also provides structure. Aceto has 3 basic outlines, Beginner, Intermediate & Advanced. Once you hit Advanced, he doesn't specifically mention where to go from there. I know you cannot train at the same volume day after day year after year. Maybe this post belongs in the "Bodybuilding" section, but I figured this is bbing.com and the personal training section should cover bbing as well.