jordan0188 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pain/Ache in forearm when lifting weights

I've just recently started back at the gym, been going about 3 weeks now but over the last week I've had a dull ache in my right forearm when doing bicep curls and even bench pressing. This is becoming really frustrating as it's stopping me from doing what I know I can lift. Normally I could do the weights no problem but my right forearm is pretty much just giving up.

What I want to know is, is this because I've not been lifting for so long that my forearms are weak and need to strengthen up? Or is it because I've pushed myself too hard (which I have) too early and they are strained and need a rest?

It happened again this evening, I am curling 12kg on each arm for bicep curls but only my final set my right arm, and my left was getting there, is just giving up. It's frustrating as I know it's not doing any work on my bicep as I should really be doing 14-16kg.

Also when I'm benching I'm literally only doing 16kg as when I try to push up my right arm, and a little bit on the left is struggling.

Please help.....

Registered User GodoFaesthetics's Avatar
    GodoFaesthetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GodoFaesthetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GodoFaesthetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GodoFaesthetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GodoFaesthetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GodoFaesthetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GodoFaesthetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GodoFaesthetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GodoFaesthetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GodoFaesthetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GodoFaesthetics has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I had that too in my wrists, got so bad at one point. Do less weight for a few days, helped me out.

XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Stop drop and roll....

Or asses your situation....

Had same problem....a deload is a good thing to get some weight off the joints. But it's a stitch, not a solution.

For bench, i noticed that pain is coming into play when forearm is not perpendicular to the ground, or when my wrist is curling backwards....Your arms should be straight, or a little bent, and perpendicular to the ground.

For the forearm bicep curls.....be sure not to curl the DB/BB with your wrist. Wrist and forearm should be static, and all the movement, should come from your biceps.....

It's not what you should be really doing, it's what you can do. Progress from what you can to what you could do.

And another tip....work your forearm strength a bit, it will help on every exercise known to man.... or most of them.... Will help with your bench somewhat, and with curls a lot.
    If your body cannot handle it, make sure sheer willpower will.....

jordan0188 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks....

So it is more than likely a number of things. Bad form, not stretching the forearms and strained muscles?

I realised as well I think when I was doing shoulder raises the other day it was happening then as well. I guess I'll just stick it out and keep to the low weights and do forearm exercises a couple of times a week.

Originally Posted by XADO View Post
    Stop drop and roll....

Or asses your situation....

Had same problem....a deload is a good thing to get some weight off the joints. But it's a stitch, not a solution.

For bench, i noticed that pain is coming into play when forearm is not perpendicular to the ground, or when my wrist is curling backwards....Your arms should be straight, or a little bent, and perpendicular to the ground.

For the forearm bicep curls.....be sure not to curl the DB/BB with your wrist. Wrist and forearm should be static, and all the movement, should come from your biceps.....

It's not what you should be really doing, it's what you can do. Progress from what you can to what you could do.

And another tip....work your forearm strength a bit, it will help on every exercise known to man.... or most of them.... Will help with your bench somewhat, and with curls a lot.

SteakIsAwesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteakIsAwesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteakIsAwesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteakIsAwesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteakIsAwesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteakIsAwesome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Personally, my rules are:

If pain gets worse when lifting, stop lifting, go home, and take a week off.
    If pain temporarily subsides while lifting, go ahead and lift but rest as much as possible outside the gym. (meaning, stay off the computer if it's a arm/hand/shoulder pain, and get some extra sleep.)

nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50)

ryanwiman90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does it give you issues when you're just holding weights (i.e. for shrugs, calf raises, etc.)? I can't do much of any weight training, outside of machines, because of that. It's usually just my left arm, but my wrist and forearm start hurting so severely that I can't even hold the weights when working out. I love lifting and do a lot of training individuals, so it sucks not being able to do the exercises that I want to do and enjoy doing.

HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My friend presses with completely bent wrists. He also suffers from wrist problems. Make sure your wrists aren't bent when you're pressing. You may not have ever noticed them before, but if they're bent then you're not doing yourself any favours.