swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Grains similar to quinoa???

I love quinoa...but I have an allergy to it, which totally sucks. Does anyone know of a similar grain?? I like brown rice...but quinoa is lighter and fluffier.

ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by swindled View Post
    I love quinoa...but I have an allergy to it, which totally sucks. Does anyone know of a similar grain?? I like brown rice...but quinoa is lighter and fluffier.
    Have you tried Barley? It's not the same texture, and not as fluffy,but still very good. The only other thing that seems close enough to Quinoa might be Millet?
    I've had it once and it's quite good!
    ''Remember where you are posting (ie a body building forum) and the audience who is going to reply. If you just want someone to tell you you’re pretty, you’re slim/toned, ripped or correct in your craziness then please post somewhere else. '' ~Kjake55

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes, I will do you one better than quinoa! I have recently been experimenting with various older grains and have fallen in love with kamut, farro, and spelt. All of which I believe are considered to be varieties of wheat, so that could be a problem depending on your allergy. Spelt is typically sold as a flour, and while its macro and micronutrient profile is superior to wheat, it was not suitable for cultivating in mass quantities. Some say farro is interchangeable with spelt, but it seems to have something to do with the varieties and I am confused on that account, lol. Farro is sold as a semipearled grain, it has a yummy pasta-like texture that is much tastier (to me) than quinoa. Kamut looks like farro only the grains are bigger/longer. Again, I think its a matter of variety.

The back of my farro bag lists the macros as:
    1/4 cup dry
    170 cals, 0g f, 33g C, 7 g P

Kamut in particular is considered to be an excellent source of magnesium, niacin, thiamine and zinc, and a good source of iron and riboflavin. Its slightly higher in fat than farro with macros at 172 cals, 2.8g F, 31g C, and 6 g P. The fatty acids in the grain contribute to its micro profile but make it lower in fiber than whole wheat (which makes no difference to me, I eat a ton of fiber).

I make a batch of baked pumpkin spice whole grain breakfast "squares" that I eat these days, it consists of kamut, farro, buckwheat groats, pumpkin, spices, stevia, raisins, and egg whites. I slice a square each morning, heat it up, drizzle warm peanut butter over it and that's breakfast!

If you can't eat wheat at all (the gluten in these more traditional grains is not as potent as in modern whole wheat but its there), you can try buckwheat groats.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

Born again nutritarian SaltedRain's Avatar
    SaltedRain will become famous soon enough. (+50) SaltedRain will become famous soon enough. (+50) SaltedRain will become famous soon enough. (+50) SaltedRain will become famous soon enough. (+50) SaltedRain will become famous soon enough. (+50) SaltedRain will become famous soon enough. (+50) SaltedRain will become famous soon enough. (+50) SaltedRain will become famous soon enough. (+50) SaltedRain will become famous soon enough. (+50) SaltedRain will become famous soon enough. (+50) SaltedRain will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In addition to the other good options already given, you could try teff and amaranth. There are also a lot of really nice heirloom rices.

Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    I make a batch of baked pumpkin spice whole grain breakfast "squares" that I eat these days, it consists of kamut, farro, buckwheat groats, pumpkin, spices, stevia, raisins, and egg whites. I slice a square each morning, heat it up, drizzle warm peanut butter over it and that's breakfast!
    These sound great! Do you have the recipe posted anywhere? I'm trying to come up with new ideas, because I end up getting picky and undereating.
    If I were an animal, I'd be a giraffe - long-limbed, weird looking, awkward as f#ck... but cooler than a frozen TV dinner!

Turds are like windows into the soul, only better, because we actually know the digestive tract exists, and how it impacts one's wellbeing.

swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ClassickQC View Post
    Have you tried Barley? It's not the same texture, and not as fluffy,but still very good. The only other thing that seems close enough to Quinoa might be Millet?
    I've had it once and it's quite good!
    I have had barley..but honestly only in soups. I really should try it outside of a soup. Definitely going to try Millet, I can't say that I've really had it before.

Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    Yes, I will do you one better than quinoa! I have recently been experimenting with various older grains and have fallen in love with kamut, farro, and spelt. All of which I believe are considered to be varieties of wheat, so that could be a problem depending on your allergy. Spelt is typically sold as a flour, and while its macro and micronutrient profile is superior to wheat, it was not suitable for cultivating in mass quantities. Some say farro is interchangeable with spelt, but it seems to have something to do with the varieties and I am confused on that account, lol. Farro is sold as a semipearled grain, it has a yummy pasta-like texture that is much tastier (to me) than quinoa. Kamut looks like farro only the grains are bigger/longer. Again, I think its a matter of variety.

The back of my farro bag lists the macros as:
    1/4 cup dry
    170 cals, 0g f, 33g C, 7 g P

Kamut in particular is considered to be an excellent source of magnesium, niacin, thiamine and zinc, and a good source of iron and riboflavin. Its slightly higher in fat than farro with macros at 172 cals, 2.8g F, 31g C, and 6 g P. The fatty acids in the grain contribute to its micro profile but make it lower in fiber than whole wheat (which makes no difference to me, I eat a ton of fiber).

If you can't eat wheat at all (the gluten in these more traditional grains is not as potent as in modern whole wheat but its there), you can try buckwheat groats.
    Wow, thanks for all the suggestions!! My allergy to quinoa is likely because of the saponin on it, even when I wash the quinoa I get a toxic reaction. I've had kamut and spelt, but only as flours never as an actual grain. I"ll have to try the kamut and farro as actual grains, are you generally able to find them in store or do you have to order them??

The pumpkin bars sound soooo good, definitely going to have to make them!!

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Wow, thanks for all the suggestions!! My allergy to quinoa is likely because of the saponin on it, even when I wash the quinoa I get a toxic reaction. I've had kamut and spelt, but only as flours never as an actual grain. I"ll have to try the kamut and farro as actual grains, are you generally able to find them in store or do you have to order them??
    I have found farro in most stores, its often in the International section, frequently near Italian stuff. Its common to find it at natural health grocers, like Whole Foods. They sell kamut as well, in bulk, so you can just buy a little and try it out to see if you like it. Nuts.com is a good site for ordering various grains too. Kamut could easily sub for pasta in an orzo-type dish, its got that feeling in your mouth. Its one of the whole grains I can get my kids to eat in its original form (versus as a flour), since it is more pleasant in texture.

Here is the recipe for Pumpkin Grain Breakfast Bake. You might want to HALVE this recipe, this makes a whopping 12 servings and uses a large, deep baking dish. They aren't actually bars, its like a baked oatmeal that is stiff enough to cut into squares. I put it in a bowl and re-heat every morning and drizzle melted PB or almond butter on top. I measure one dry cup of each grain and then rinse them well before cooking. The kamut does best with an overnite soak, it takes a long time to cook.

Pumpkin Grain Breakfast Bake
    1 cup dry kamut, soak overnite. Cook in 4-5 cups water for 15 mins before adding other grains.
    1 cup dry farro
    1 cup dry buckwheat groats
    80 g dried cranberries or raisins (1/2 cup)
    1.5 cups canned pumpkin
    2 cups egg whites
    2 tsp vanilla
    3 droppers liquid stevia
    2 tsp cinammon
    1/2 tsp cloves
    1/4 tsp nutmeg

After I cook the kamut for a bit under medium-low heat, I add the other rinsed grains with quite a bit of water. You don't cook it like rice in which the water needs to be exact, its more like pasta in which you add alot and then drain what you don't need. The buckwheat seems the most delicate. Cook about 20 mins, add water as necessary. Drain when al dente.

Place cooked grains in large mixing bowl, add pumpkin, raisins, spices, and stevia (or whatever sweetner you prefer). Add egg whites last (when mixture has cooled a bit) and mix well. Pour into a lightly sprayed 9X13 deep baking dish. Bake at 350 for approx 30 mins until brown on top and firm through the middle. Let cool and cut into 12 squares (or 9 if you prefer).

Macros for 12 servings: 211 cals, 1.1 g F, 39g C, 10 g P
    Macros for 9 come out to around 280 cals and 15 g protein
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.