Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Leaning too far forward while squatting

I've noticed that I've been leaning too far forward while squatting, with heavy weight this often leads to me doing something similar to a good morning by the end of my set. A friend suggested putting my heels on a 10lb bumper plate which seemed to correct the problem. This suggests to me that I have some kind of flexibility issue but I'm not sure which particular muscle(s) is causing the issue or how to stretch it effectively. Does anyone have any suggestions? Sorry for the lack of a video, unfortunately I don't have anything I can film with.

Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Low or high bar?

Any vids?

joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree with yodums with the high bar. Try putting it lower on your "shelf" and that will lower the center of gravity for the bar. Also, try picking a spot out on the wall above you to stare at while going up and down. I drew one on my college gym (****ty) and i stare at it while squatting. This will help to keep your head up, spine in line and chest up. Also, try a bit of a wider stance. that could also help a bit.

ProfessorBro will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfessorBro will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfessorBro will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfessorBro will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfessorBro will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfessorBro will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfessorBro will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfessorBro will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfessorBro will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfessorBro will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfessorBro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    try low bar box squats, should get you into the correct form

TrollCrew has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrollCrew has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrollCrew has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrollCrew has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrollCrew has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrollCrew has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrollCrew has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrollCrew has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrollCrew has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrollCrew has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrollCrew has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Once i discovered/learnt low bar squat,i never went back.There's good Rippetoe lowbar squat technique video on vimeo,that's about 18min in lenght..
    Flexibility issue comes from quads/hams & you lean forward thinking you squat deeper.

Flexing before squatting will solve the problem but the plates under heels is very good alternate solution.

Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Datfox has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I hold it in a low bar position (I think), behind my shoulders and resting across my lower traps. I'll try staring at a spot/widening my stance and see what happens. Does this mean that it's probably not a flexibility issue?

Originally Posted by TrollCrew View Post
    Once i discovered/learnt low bar squat,i never went back.There's good Rippetoe lowbar squat technique video on vimeo,that's about 18min in lenght..
    Flexibility issue comes from quads/hams & you lean forward thinking you squat deeper.

Flexing before squatting will solve the problem but the plates under heels is very good alternate solution.
    What do you mean by 'flexing before squatting'? And is using plates under my heels really a solution? I was told that it's only a temporary fix and that is only likely to improve my form while having my heels elevated and that my form would likely return to usual as soon as I started squatting without the plates.

joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Datfox View Post
    What do you mean by 'flexing before squatting'? And is using plates under my heels really a solution? I was told that it's only a temporary fix and that is only likely to improve my form while having my heels elevated and that my form would likely return to usual as soon as I started squatting without the plates.
    Try squatting without shoes on. The plates are gonna make you put the weight onto the balls of your feet and make you have a greater tendency to lean forward. without shoes you can really sit back onto your heels.

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I can't speak for him, but I'm guessing he meant 'stretching' not 'flexing'. Raised heels should be as temporary as possible. A lot of guys who have been around the block a lot more than we have claim that heels elevated causes long term knee problems.

xraided85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xraided85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xraided85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xraided85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xraided85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xraided85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xraided85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xraided85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xraided85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xraided85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xraided85 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by joecam18 View Post
    Try squatting without shoes on. The plates are gonna make you put the weight onto the balls of your feet and make you have a greater tendency to lean forward. without shoes you can really sit back onto your heels.
    I was gonna say, wouldnt a plate under the heel make it worse? lifting with no shoes works great if your gym will let u, i actaully can squat/deadlift better with no shoes and it lowers the poistion of your heels.
    1RM
    Bench 355
    Squat 471
    Deads 635
    BB Curl 146
    Rows 285
    Press 202

BigBear93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBear93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBear93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBear93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBear93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBear93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBear93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBear93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBear93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBear93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBear93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you are squatting high bar, then you must try to keep your back as upright as possible. Maybe you have the bar too high when you squat? Again, like the above posters, changing the bar to a lower position will let you lean forward more. Good luck!

Originally Posted by xraided85 View Post
    I was gonna say, wouldnt a plate under the heel make it worse? lifting with no shoes works great if your gym will let u, i actaully can squat/deadlift better with no shoes and it lowers the poistion of your heels.
    If your gym wont allow no shoes (i dont see why) you could always do socks or invest in some Vibram Five Finger shoes

Originally Posted by xraided85 View Post
    Perhaps I should have mentioned, I always squat without shoes on. But no, somehow having a plate under my heels seems to allow me to keep my back a lot more upright, which is why I assumed I had some sort of flexibility issue.

Originally Posted by BigBear93 View Post
    If you are squatting high bar, then you must try to keep your back as upright as possible. Maybe you have the bar too high when you squat? Again, like the above posters, changing the bar to a lower position will let you lean forward more. Good luck!
    As mentioned a few posts ago, I squat low bar. Am I misunderstanding your point though, if what you're saying is true, considering my problem seems to be that I'm leaning too far forwards surely squatting low bar is likely to worsen the problem?

D-Nutt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) D-Nutt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) D-Nutt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) D-Nutt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) D-Nutt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) D-Nutt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) D-Nutt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) D-Nutt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) D-Nutt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) D-Nutt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) D-Nutt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Use lighter weight op - you obviously can't handle your current load.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I've noticed that I've been leaning too far forward while squatting, with heavy weight this often leads to me doing something similar to a good morning by the end of my set.
    Cut the weight back to a load you can handle without GMing it up out of the hole. You're simply trying to Squat more weight than you're currently strong enough to deal with.

Get your form back on track, and then work to progress the load back up while still maintaining good form.

A friend suggested putting my heels on a 10lb bumper plate which seemed to correct the problem.
    Don't do this. The foot is designed to function correctly only when it is flat on the floor. Elevating just your heels throws all the load on the balls of your feet and your heels, leaving the center of your feet unsupported.

If you think you have flexibility issues (heels coming up off the floor as you descend into the squat/not being able to get at least down to parallel), deal with that issue directly; work on your flexibility.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by D-Nutt View Post
    The problem is that the problem persists even when I'm using ~75% of my 5RM, and anything lighter than that barely feels like lifting anything.

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think it is simply a matter of flexibility and a weak posterior chain.

Mostly a weak PC. The forward lean happens when your quads take over, IME. Learn to activate your hams and glutes and then work to strengthen them.

Box squats is what did it for me.
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I hold it in a low bar position (I think), behind my shoulders and resting across my lower traps. I'll try staring at a spot/widening my stance and see what happens. Does this mean that it's probably not a flexibility issue?
    Not so much as inflexibility more like a lower back weakness and lack of hip drive but without a video it's impossible to tell

and get a pair of lifting shoes that usually helps a lot .. it's kinda like putting plates under your heels but not dumb , be barefoot when you take a shower not when lifting
    and no it doesn't shift the weight to the ball of your feet , it does the opposite if you sit back correctly
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Never put anything under your heel. That solves nothing. It just creates more issues.

Here is my personal experience. I generally squat without shoes which is what I recommend. My flexibility is not good. It used to be worse. I improved it by not lifting as heavy for about three months and squatting as deep as a could with good form. Eventually, I got to parallel with decent form.

I still occasionally do a bit of a good morning. I have found the reason is I'm watching in the mirror in front of how far the bar goes down. I make sure it goes to at least a certain point. On poor flexibility days, I'm leaning forward to get the bar to go down to that point which in no way means I'm squatting deeper. Don't watch the bar in the mirror, and keep looking forward. Just squat down as far as is safe for your flexibility. Also, I don't look up. I just keep my head in the same position through the whole range of motion.

scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A video would really help to determine if it's form/flexibility related or strength related. I always lean forward when squatting in front of a mirror. All I had to do was squat away from the mirror and try to maintain torso position as hard as possible and that fixed it,
    Misc Strength Crew

mmcgaw is not very well liked. (-100) mmcgaw is not very well liked. (-100) mmcgaw is not very well liked. (-100) mmcgaw is not very well liked. (-100) mmcgaw is not very well liked. (-100) mmcgaw is not very well liked. (-100) mmcgaw is not very well liked. (-100) mmcgaw is not very well liked. (-100) mmcgaw is not very well liked. (-100) mmcgaw is not very well liked. (-100) mmcgaw is not very well liked. (-100)
    Good info so far.
    I squat high bar and looking to get Adidas power perfect 2's. I am aiming for Olympic lifts.
    What's up with all the anti heel shoes? Or is that for wide stance low bar that it dmgs knees

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mmcgaw View Post
    Good info so far.
    I squat high bar and looking to get Adidas power perfect 2's. I am aiming for Olympic lifts.
    What's up with all the anti heel shoes? Or is that for wide stance low bar that it dmgs knees
    No lifting shoes are great no matter what type of squat you do
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hlydon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by mmcgaw View Post
    Good info so far.
    Not hating lifting shoes. Flat feet just forces a person to work on flexibility. Whereas, elevated heels can help compensate for inflexibility. I'd own a pair of lifting shoes if they didn't cost so much.

KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by D-Nutt View Post
    Hah. Nice.
    Team Panda XPRESS
    GENR8 Affiliated Athlete

ACSM Health Fitness Specialist
    Kettlebell Concepts Trainer Certified
    DotFIT CPT
    BS Exercise Science

2012 contest prep log, follow me at:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142017441&p=826565761#post826565761

KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KYCSOLO51 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Lencho View Post
    I think it is simply a matter of flexibility and a weak posterior chain.

Mostly a weak PC. The forward lean happens when your quads take over, IME. Learn to activate your hams and glutes and then work to strengthen them.

Box squats is what did it for me.
    Posterior chain work!

Try a belt on a set. See if that helps.

I have weird leverages because of extremely long femurs. My squat form is different belted versus un-belted.
    Team Panda XPRESS
    GENR8 Affiliated Athlete

ACSM Health Fitness Specialist
    Kettlebell Concepts Trainer Certified
    DotFIT CPT
    BS Exercise Science

2012 contest prep log, follow me at:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142017441&p=826565761#post826565761