paulbolger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rugby union Prop Workout

Hi Guys,

I need help making a new workout. i have been on my current one for about 8 weeks now and i need an upgrade.

I'm Currently on a 2 day split, Chest and back and legs and arms

I'm 16, a prop forward, 314 lbs, 6ft4, and before you ask YES I KNOW IM FAT. Don't Mean i cant move

Day 1: Chest and back

30 degree dumbbell press - sets: 4 - Reps: 6 - 8
    Narrow Grip Lat Pulldown - Sets: 4 - Reps: 6 - 8

Flat Bench Dumbbell Press - Sets: 3 - Reps: 10 - 12
    Single Arm row - Sets 3 - Reps: 10 - 12

Side Raises - Sets: 3 - Reps: 8 - 10
    shrugs - Sets: 3 - Reps: 8 - 10 < The side raises and shrugs were a super set

Day 2: Legs and arms

Split Squats - Sets: 3 - Reps: 8 - 10
    Leg curl - Sets: 3 - Reps: 8 - 10

Leg Press: Sets: 3 - Reps: 10 - 12
    Calf Raises: Sets: 3 - Reps: 10 - 12 < Leg Press & Calf Raise Superset

Zottman Curls: Sets: 3 - Reps: 6 - 8
    Dumbbell Tricep Extension: Sets: 3 - Reps: 8 - 10

can anyone help Me Go on to a more advanced workout? i want to get the most out of my workout as i can. any help will be much appreciated.

thanks!

letlifeburn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am a Strength & Conditioning coach and luckily for you i did a prop forward workout plan for my case study to pass my course.

First thing, because rugby uses more than one muscle typically in every part of the game, i would avoid the single muscle approach you are using now, you should be putting your focus in compound exercises, which use many muscles in one exercise rather than doing 2-3 exercises to hit them same muscles.

For my case study i had the client doing strength training 3 days a week, using only 5 exercises across all 3 days. They were the squat, bench press, deadlift, over head press and bent over row, if you look up any rugby strength training program youll notice in most cases they use the exercises i just listed, because they build strength and muscle at the same time.

i researched the net for my own strength program and found loads that kind of went the same route, the one that worked for me personally, and my client i trained for rugby, was this:

Workout A:
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Bent over row 5x5

Workout B:
    Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

then what you do is alternate the workouts, im guessing you play games on a weekend, so id do a M W F split, so what youd do is on M=A W=B F=A M=B W=A F=B, then the cycle starts again. As for the work weight, if you know your 1RM, knock it down to 80% on each exercise, then everytime the next time you do that workout you add 2.5kg to the overall, apart from deadlift which is 5kg. If you fail to do the exercise for the full 5x5/1x5, you use the same weight the next time, if you fail the same weight 3 times in a row, you deload that exercise only by 10%.

This workout is called "StrongLifts 5x5" and there is a website with more details, and an app that lets you track your progress.

Besides the lifting side of things, you obviously need cardio so make sure you do that too, then there a lot of sports specific stuff i could go into, but im trying to earn a living from this Strength & Conditioning thing so im not gonna give away all my knowledge haha

I really hope that helps you out.

paulbolger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by letlifeburn View Post
    I am a Strength & Conditioning coach and luckily for you i did a prop forward workout plan for my case study to pass my course.

First thing, because rugby uses more than one muscle typically in every part of the game, i would avoid the single muscle approach you are using now, you should be putting your focus in compound exercises, which use many muscles in one exercise rather than doing 2-3 exercises to hit them same muscles.

For my case study i had the client doing strength training 3 days a week, using only 5 exercises across all 3 days. They were the squat, bench press, deadlift, over head press and bent over row, if you look up any rugby strength training program youll notice in most cases they use the exercises i just listed, because they build strength and muscle at the same time.

i researched the net for my own strength program and found loads that kind of went the same route, the one that worked for me personally, and my client i trained for rugby, was this:

Workout A:
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Bent over row 5x5

Workout B:
    Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

then what you do is alternate the workouts, im guessing you play games on a weekend, so id do a M W F split, so what youd do is on M=A W=B F=A M=B W=A F=B, then the cycle starts again. As for the work weight, if you know your 1RM, knock it down to 80% on each exercise, then everytime the next time you do that workout you add 2.5kg to the overall, apart from deadlift which is 5kg. If you fail to do the exercise for the full 5x5/1x5, you use the same weight the next time, if you fail the same weight 3 times in a row, you deload that exercise only by 10%.

This workout is called "StrongLifts 5x5" and there is a website with more details, and an app that lets you track your progress.

Besides the lifting side of things, you obviously need cardio so make sure you do that too, then there a lot of sports specific stuff i could go into, but im trying to earn a living from this Strength & Conditioning thing so im not gonna give away all my knowledge haha

I really hope that helps you out.

hey man thanks for that.

do i use an olympic bar for all them?

what would you suggest as cardio?

letlifeburn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yea use a standard olympic bar, youd of thought id of said that seeing as though its quite important haha

for cardio, because you run in the game, id suggest just running, every now and again switch it up, do a bit of rowing, cycling or cross trainer incase you get bored of running all the time.

RShemouil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    3 Years later and your information is still very useful. Thank you very much mate.

richoo123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Results

Hi , I'm also a prop , can anyone share any results using this program and how efficient it is , and is a floor bench press okay?

Also is there any other exercises I could do to 1. Acheive a fitter and stronger body , and have a 'good looking' body. Thank you

jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You're better off doing a 5x5 program with focus on the big compound lifts.
    #sunyourballs
    Unvaxed sperm is the next Bitcoin
    ⒻⓊⒸⓀ ⒷⒾⒹⒺⓃ

StrengthSport will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthSport will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthSport will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthSport will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthSport will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthSport will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthSport will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthSport will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthSport will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthSport will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthSport will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by paulbolger View Post

Day 1: Chest and back

30 degree dumbbell press - sets: 4 - Reps: 6 - 8
    Narrow Grip Lat Pulldown - Sets: 4 - Reps: 6 - 8

Flat Bench Dumbbell Press - Sets: 3 - Reps: 10 - 12
    Single Arm row - Sets 3 - Reps: 10 - 12

Side Raises - Sets: 3 - Reps: 8 - 10
    shrugs - Sets: 3 - Reps: 8 - 10 < The side raises and shrugs were a super set

Day 2: Legs and arms

Split Squats - Sets: 3 - Reps: 8 - 10
    Leg curl - Sets: 3 - Reps: 8 - 10

Leg Press: Sets: 3 - Reps: 10 - 12
    Calf Raises: Sets: 3 - Reps: 10 - 12 < Leg Press & Calf Raise Superset

Zottman Curls: Sets: 3 - Reps: 6 - 8
    Dumbbell Tricep Extension: Sets: 3 - Reps: 8 - 10

can anyone help Me Go on to a more advanced workout? i want to get the most out of my workout as i can. any help will be much appreciated.

thanks!
    I'd say you need to focus more on heavy compound lifts, and prioritize your lifts a bit better.

Is there a reason why you're not squatting?

Please don't be one of the guys that just says "cuz it hurts my back."

You're cheating yourself.

You're also hitting your arms more than you're hitting your legs. Realize that on your chest and back day, you're also indirectly hitting your biceps/triceps.

I'd do a 4 day upper/lower split, or a 3 day full body.

For example:

Leg Day
    A. Box Hops or Long Jumps 5x3
    B.Squat 5x5 or 8x3
    C.Split Squats 4x8
    D.RDL or GHR 3-4x10

Upper
    A1.Incline DB Bench 5x5
    A2.Lat Pull Downs 5x10
    B1.Bench Press 3x8
    B2.DB Row 3x8
    C1. Dips 3x8
    C2. Hammer Curls 3x10

If you want a more detailed workout, just shoot me a PM

EDIT: Wow didn't realize this was a 3 year old thread, regardless the information remains the same lol
    NCCA Certified PT

Check out my progress

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171226391&p=1438399991#post1438399991