Stormscar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

No Squat rack at my gym

Yes, my gym is a piece of ****, but i live in a 10000 ppl town..whatever.

Well, there is no squat rack in my gym, just a smith machine on which you can squat...Should i still squat on it? This woman at the gym told me if i do it at the smith machine I should go more than 90 cos i can hurt my lower back and knees on it. I told her that then i wont work my hamstrings/glutes, and she said I should do then leg press. But I am on SS, and I would do both exercises this way, which is not rlly the program..

Advices? should I squat on the smith machine?(if yes, link me a video if it requires a different form). Or leg press instead?
    Last edited by Stormscar; 02-02-2012 at 11:04 AM.

spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Smith machine is terrible for squats. Leg press is also terrible. Clean and front squat is your best option.

Dont I need a squat rack for it?

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Squatting is definitely the king of exercises. Deadlifting is 2nd. I would advise you to try to find another gym. Smith machines have their place. I use them for incline bench and some military press. If you try to compare smith squats to free weight squats, it's free weight, no contest. Leg press is ok, but it will not replace squatting. I recommend using both.
    This post is Natypes approved.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Stormscar View Post
    Dont I need a squat rack for it?
    Not if you clean into a front squat.

SS does not include leg press, so..idk..

Finding another gym would require me to go to another town, so I'd need to be driven every time by my parents..which will not happen.

RaulAbregu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RaulAbregu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RaulAbregu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RaulAbregu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RaulAbregu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RaulAbregu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RaulAbregu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RaulAbregu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RaulAbregu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RaulAbregu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RaulAbregu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is actually the second time I've seen a post like this... I'm still having a hard time believing their are actually gyms without a squat rack... Well you could use dumbbells instead of a barbell for squats but I guess smith/leg press will have to do for now. Until you find a better gym or make your own squat rack.

I don't have the technique necessary to clean into front squat, so I'd probly end up not working my legs properly.

I can't believe this **** either about the lack of a squat rack, but this is the only accessible gym... I'll change it in 1.5 years when I go to uni, but until then I have to do what I can with what I've got available.

Is the squatting technique on a smith machine different? I've been told at my gym not to go beyond parallel, and to put my feet much more in front than I did before( I had my legs just a bit in front of me) cos I can hurt my lower back and knees.. Advice? Any gd videos of squatting on a smith machine?

dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000)
    don't do them. squats are for ***s anyway
    I rep back 5k+, just say 5k+

reps for life: Vai , Cgrimaldo

spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't have the technique necessary to clean into front squat, so I'd probly end up not working my legs properly.
    Terrible excuse. Learn to clean. Look up youtube videos, it isn't an exceptionally hard movement.

Originally Posted by spiderman997 View Post
    Terrible excuse. Learn to clean. Look up youtube videos, it isn't an exceptionally hard movement.
    It's not an excuse, I am just admitting the truth. Even babylover says in his new sa guide that power cleans isn't an exercise for beginners, who have a bad technique and then can't work the muscles properly. I'm going to try, but I am not too sure it will work. Any other advice regarding what I said in my previous post?

Originally Posted by dunkalicious View Post
    don't do them. squats are for ***s anyway
    Bitch, pls. Srs advice only.

It's not an excuse, I am just admitting the truth. Even babylover says in his new sa guide that power cleans isn't an exercise for beginners, who have a bad technique and then can't work the muscles properly. I'm going to try, but I am not too sure it will work. Any other advice regarding what I said in my previous post?
    Don't squat in the smith if you value your knees. Just learn to clean. It isn't hard.

Originally Posted by spiderman997 View Post
    Don't squat in the smith if you value your knees. Just learn to clean. It isn't hard.
    So the smith machine really is bad for your knees, huh? May I know the reason why it is dangerous to the knees compared to a normal squat?

So the smith machine really is bad for your knees, huh? May I know the reason why it is dangerous to the knees compared to a normal squat?
    Much lower hamstring and glute activation, which allows the quadriceps to put a ton of shearing force on the knee. Same reason leg extensions suck.

crazed31 is just really nice. (+1000) crazed31 is just really nice. (+1000) crazed31 is just really nice. (+1000) crazed31 is just really nice. (+1000) crazed31 is just really nice. (+1000) crazed31 is just really nice. (+1000) crazed31 is just really nice. (+1000) crazed31 is just really nice. (+1000) crazed31 is just really nice. (+1000) crazed31 is just really nice. (+1000) crazed31 is just really nice. (+1000)
    don't you have a barbell?

if you have one of these smith machines:

use the hooks on the front of it, put a barbell on there and squat

otherwise all you can do without a rack is leg press and machines

slykid is not very well liked. (-100) slykid is not very well liked. (-100) slykid is not very well liked. (-100) slykid is not very well liked. (-100) slykid is not very well liked. (-100) slykid is not very well liked. (-100) slykid is not very well liked. (-100) slykid is not very well liked. (-100) slykid is not very well liked. (-100) slykid is not very well liked. (-100) slykid is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by crazed31 View Post
    don't you have a barbell?

if you have one of these smith machines:

use the hooks on the front of it, put a barbell on there and squat

otherwise all you can do without a rack is leg press and machines
    my gym doesnt have one of them hooks

Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Deads for glutes/hams
    Sumo Deads / Hack Squats for quads

Pullupsftw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First and foremost start front squatting. The amount of weight you'll probably initially use will be low enough that a sloppy clean will suffice. Work on improving your clean form as you increase the load on the squats. Also consider pistol squats and lunges with dumbbells. If I'm not mistaken, front squats are more quad dominant than back squats so consider doing some extra posterior work to avoid long term imbalances

Justice Police of bb.com hostelmaniac's Avatar
    hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    bump of prosperity

tamere06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tamere06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tamere06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tamere06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tamere06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tamere06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tamere06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tamere06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tamere06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tamere06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tamere06 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ok this is how you do it. Please tell me your gym has a place for dips. Rest the bar on the dip bars, go in between, pick up weight, walk forward/backwards, and fukking squat!!

SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Buy a power rack and barbell set and train at home

Armom will become famous soon enough. (+50) Armom will become famous soon enough. (+50) Armom will become famous soon enough. (+50) Armom will become famous soon enough. (+50) Armom will become famous soon enough. (+50) Armom will become famous soon enough. (+50) Armom will become famous soon enough. (+50) Armom will become famous soon enough. (+50) Armom will become famous soon enough. (+50) Armom will become famous soon enough. (+50) Armom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No freaking Squat Rack in my GYM too!! x-(

gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Well, there is no squat rack in my gym, just a smith machine on which you can squat...Should i still squat on it? This woman at the gym told me if i do it at the smith machine I should go more than 90 cos i can hurt my lower back and knees on it. I told her that then i wont work my hamstrings/glutes, and she said I should do then leg press. But I am on SS, and I would do both exercises this way, which is not rlly the program..

Advices? should I squat on the smith machine?(if yes, link me a video if it requires a different form). Or leg press instead?
    dude do leg press trust me it'll help your leg strength go up tremendously I broke my foot and was in a boot for a while and couldn't squat for about a year and I strictly did leg press during that duration and when I returned and started squatting again my squat had gone up 100 lbs. They key is to make sure you're getting a full range of motion on leg press enough to work your glutes and hamstrings, I would also do hamstring curls and extensions but those 3 main exercises really built my leg strength. Hopefully you find equal success bro let me know how it goes.
    Model/Influencer
    DM me for work

naich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    find a new gym
    you can clean the weight up and squat, but your squat will out weight your clean in a month or two.
    **Florida Crew**
    **Waiting for National Guard Bus Ride to Labor Camp Crew**

Ryanpounce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanpounce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanpounce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanpounce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanpounce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanpounce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanpounce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanpounce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanpounce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanpounce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanpounce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Watch this vid by Elliott Hulse on this topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abjVmecV30w

Zaak84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zaak84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zaak84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zaak84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zaak84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zaak84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zaak84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tamere06 View Post
    Ok this is how you do it. Please tell me your gym has a place for dips. Rest the bar on the dip bars, go in between, pick up weight, walk forward/backwards, and fukking squat!!
    JUST SAVED ME!!!!!!!!THANK YOU SO MUCH! Im french and in my gym ,aint no rack and i subscribed for 1 year,i understand why it is so cheap,i will try the dips thing tomorrow