sezzasurf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sezzasurf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sezzasurf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sezzasurf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Can you do a partial carb up day once a week?

Ive been doing Keto for a month now and am seeing results. I have quite a bit of fat to lose (am 174lbs and 30.2% bodyfat, 5'4 female) and have been training at the gym. If I don't do a depletion workout before carb up can I just eat a moderate amount of carbs for a day instead of following CKD exactly. Basically I'm not that good at following macros properly, my Keto days are pretty close (I use calorieking.com) but I haven't worked out the carb day yet. I've just been winging it and doing mostly keto until i crave carbs too much which is about once a week.

It seems most people on here are following exact macros, I know i need to sort it out but hmmmm. Anyway any advice? Is it ok to not fully replenish muscle glycogen? I've only just started at the gym a few weeks ago, I surf heaps, trying to intensify my workouts but at the mo they are average! Is it dangerous to be in ketosis for longer than a week once yr thru the initial stage?

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'll leave the depletion/cycling question to someone else, as I don't cycle, but that should answer your last question about keto being dangerous for longer than a week. Ketosis is a perfectly natural and healthy state for the body to be in. Some people stay in it for years without ever carbing up. I've been in for over 3 yrs with only occasional carbups around holidays.

sezzasurf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sezzasurf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sezzasurf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sezzasurf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Blackjack68 View Post
    I'll leave the depletion/cycling question to someone else, as I don't cycle, but that should answer your last question about keto being dangerous for longer than a week. Ketosis is a perfectly natural and healthy state for the body to be in. Some people stay in it for years without ever carbing up. I've been in for over 3 yrs with only occasional carbups around holidays.
    Awesome thanks for that! I read on another post that ketones can be toxic to your brain??? Also as long as I'm eating high fat and protein my body shouldn't use my muscle for energy should it? Like when I've been training, I do have a protein shake after most of the time...

chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You only really need glycogen for anaerobic exercise and if your workout aren't that intense you'll barely ever need it. At aerobic intensities your body will tap the fat for energy anyway. Since you've got a way to go yet, i'd either have a carb meal (not a day just a single meal) after a workout one night, or just skip it.

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sezzasurf View Post
    I read on another post that ketones can be toxic to your brain???
    Lol. So that's what's wrong with me!
    Not a chance. Whoever posted that is an idiot and/or horribly misinformed.

Also as long as I'm eating high fat and protein my body shouldn't use my muscle for energy should it? Like when I've been training, I do have a protein shake after most of the time...
    Correct, as long as you aren't in a SEVERE calorie deficit, muscle will be fine.

Originally Posted by chimponarope View Post
    You only really need glycogen for anaerobic exercise and if your workout aren't that intense you'll barely ever need it. At aerobic intensities your body will tap the fat for energy anyway. Since you've got a way to go yet, i'd either have a carb meal (not a day just a single meal) after a workout one night, or just skip it.
    Ok cool, thanks...I read that it's good to give your body carbs once a week so it doesn't think you're starving it. That was just on low carb tho and not keto...

Originally Posted by Blackjack68 View Post
    Lol. So that's what's wrong with me!
    Not a chance. Whoever posted that is an idiot and/or horribly misinformed.

Correct, as long as you aren't in a SEVERE calorie deficit, muscle will be fine.
    Cheers for that...although i'm guessing a bit, I do put stuff into calorie king and my calories for the day are about right for weightloss...should be sweet for now! I need an assistant to do all the math for me, weigh everything and do it properly...haha lazy aye!

denis791 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    well if you already see good results it's because your rigth ....keep doing it ..why you would like to change something?...very low carbs, good lifting and enjoy the weight lost

for the partial carb-load, sometimes i do only 1 meal and it's a good threat ....try it and look if it fits your goal
    Last edited by denis791; 02-02-2012 at 05:18 AM.

Originally Posted by denis791 View Post
    well if you already see good results it's because your rigth ....keep doing it ..why you would like to change something?...very low carbs, good lifting and enjoy the weight lost

for the partial carb-load, sometimes i do only 1 meal and it's a good threat ....try it and look if it fits your goal
    I'm sure I would get faster results if I did it exactly tho....

Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    really carbing up depends on the person. Lots of people dont carb up. This diet is called a SKD or strict keto. Other people carb up one a month, twice a month or four times a month ( once a week ) .. Carbing up is also broken down in hours. Some do 48 hrs, some 24 hrs , 12 hrs or even just one high carb meal ala cheat meal.

Its all gonna depend on how you feel. The way you know if you need some is feeling very week in your workouts. Similar to how you felt after the second week on the diet.

when people say ketones are toxic they are refurring to ketoasidosis. which is bad.. As some college kids in here have found out lots of people tend to think more clearly while in ketosis.
    THE KETO DIET-- www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/forums/nutrition/2156-ckd-cyclical.html

http://www.coconutoil.com/truth_saturated_fats.htm
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584922,00.html