bwhntr24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Newbie Help Needed Question

I am 38, 6'1" and 215 lbs currently doing a combo program of P90x (weights) and Insanity (for cardio) 7 days a week. I take whey, creatine, epivar and casein protein regularly. I am trying to bulk up with some fat burning. I have been on this program for about 6 weeks now and am definitely stronger and in better shape, but I am not putting on the muscle mass that I would like to be. I am looking for suggestions on how to put on more muscle mass, while still losing some of the fat in the mid section. I am thinking of dropping the epivar for a testosterone booster and possibly looking at eating a little more - such as peanut butter, etc. I currently eat a ton of eggs, chicken, tuna with a regular meal with the family. I try to eat every 3 hours, with lots of protein and protein drinks as mid meal supplements. Any help would be much appreciated on how to add some muscle mass and still burn/lost fat in the mid section. Thank you!!

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bwhntr24 View Post
    I am 38, 6'1" and 215 lbs currently doing a combo program of P90x (weights) and Insanity (for cardio) 7 days a week. I take whey, creatine, epivar and casein protein regularly. I am trying to bulk up with some fat burning. I have been on this program for about 6 weeks now and am definitely stronger and in better shape, but I am not putting on the muscle mass that I would like to be. I am looking for suggestions on how to put on more muscle mass, while still losing some of the fat in the mid section. I am thinking of dropping the epivar for a testosterone booster and possibly looking at eating a little more - such as peanut butter, etc. I currently eat a ton of eggs, chicken, tuna with a regular meal with the family. I try to eat every 3 hours, with lots of protein and protein drinks as mid meal supplements. Any help would be much appreciated on how to add some muscle mass and still burn/lost fat in the mid section. Thank you!!
    I suggest you go to the nutrition forum and start learning the basics of composing a proper diet in the stickies there. Once you learn to calculate your TEE and then determine your macro needs you can design your diet with foods that you like and ditch the protein powders if you care to. Ditch the epivar completely, you can take creatine if you like, there are ample amounts of evidence that it works for most people. The protein supplements are just that, supplements, meant to be used if you have problems getting in adequate amounts of protein from whole foods, but whole foods are ALWAYS the best option.
    Good luck!

Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Neither P90X or Insanity are muscle building programs. To build muscle mass, you must lift heavy weights. A program consisting of squats, deadlifts, overhead press and bench press is the most efficient.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I am looking for suggestions on how to put on more muscle mass, while still losing some of the fat in the mid section.
    Ditch the dvd stuff, join a gym and start on an actual budybuilding program. Here's the best beginner program you'll find:

*Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

I am thinking of dropping the epivar for a testosterone booster
    Stop wasting your money. Get on a beginner bodybuilding program, get your nutrition squared-away, and then do work.

If you still think you may have some medical reason why your hormone levels might be off, see your doctor.

I currently eat a ton of eggs, chicken, tuna with a regular meal with the family. I try to eat every 3 hours, with lots of protein and protein drinks as mid meal supplements.
    Eating "a ton of......" isn't a good idea, and there is no requirement to eat on some arbitrary time schedule. Use the information in this thread to set yourself up a proper nutrition baseline:

*Emma-Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Ditch the dvd stuff, join a gym and start on an actual budybuilding program.
    This. You're not going to add muscle mass doing P90X or Insanity.

inb4Pike717
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Jimbo48 View Post
    Neither P90X or Insanity are muscle building programs. To build muscle mass, you must lift heavy weights. A program consisting of squats, deadlifts, overhead press and bench press is the most efficient.
    +1

Six weeks isn't a lot of time to see any muscle mass also.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    how to add some muscle mass and still burn/lost fat in the mid section.

the very best of us haven't quite figured this out yet...a daunting challenge and for a beginner, even worse....

best to concentrate on one thing at a time: build a good foundation of strength in basic lifts, as recommended by Bill...meanwhile, as recommended by others, read on and learn more about proper nutrition....
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

6packstriving will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6packstriving will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6packstriving will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6packstriving will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6packstriving will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6packstriving will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6packstriving will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6packstriving will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6packstriving will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6packstriving will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6packstriving will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1st off, congrats on working out. 2nd, you won't find a lot of support here for Insanity or P90X. If you are not lifting heavy, you are doing it wrong.

That said, I have a couple comments regarding your post.

1. Seven days a week - Your body grows when it gets rest. You need at least one rest day.
    2. Insanity is great for building functional strength and helping you slim down, especially month 2 workouts, but you are not going to grow from it.
    3. P90X is not a bulking program either. You can get into fantastic shape, and you can put on some lean mass, but if you really want to bulk, then you are going to need to lift more iron. You can make P90X a bit more of a muscle builder by adding a weighted vest and really going heavy on dumbbell movements, but again...you will prob need some gym time to see the results you are looking for.
    4. The midsection will prob take the longest to see the results you want. Just a guy thing. That is where most of us hold the most fat. Give it time.
    5. Nutrition is going to make up 80% of your results. You have heard the term, Abs are made in the kitchen, right? Macros are very important. You may need to play around and find what works best for you.

Good luck in your fitness journey. Reach out anytime.
    Fitness is not a sprint, but a lifelong marathon.

Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sinaptic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I tried the p90x for a week just to see what it is about, definitely not for me. I also suggest going to non DVD based strength training regiment. I don't see a problem with the DVD based stuff for cardio though if you enjoy it.

Ironwill already linked a bodybuilding program for you to start with, just do it for 8 weeks and post back in with your results.