Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Front squat help needed

I hit a wall on my lifts so I went from my 5 day split to redoing a Starting Strength, Babylovers to be specific. First day went great, and my B day I began doing front squats.
    My sets went like this:

1. 12 rep warmup with bar
    2. 135 for 5 - another warmup set to see where Im at due to not doing them for a while before this new routine.
    3. 155 for 5 - warmup again too easy
    4. 185 for 5 - Struggled alot
    5. 185 for 5 - Struggled alot again then stopped due to aggrivation and just did barbell lunges for 3 sets and 3 sets of regular squats because I was mad at myself for failing and pushed myself more.

Now the reason I struggled alot on the last sets was that the weight dug into my collar bones and upper chest and I felt the bar putting too much pressure on my shoulder. It honestly hurt and I couldnt keep it up. I thought it was my grip which was resting on the top of the chest, extending the elbows forward and crossing the hands over the bar. So I changed it to holding the bar outside my shoulders resting it on my chest which was worse. Then I tried putting it on my chest and extending my elbows like my first time and instead putting my thumbs under the bar to relieve pressure off my shoulders but that made the bar roll and just made my hand hurt.

Any tips for front squatting because I need to adjust my grip or something about the lift or i cant keep doing them. I can post a video of me doing it this week I just want some tips about the lift in general such as grips, a good weight to use and such.

Also, just started deadlifts again, I got chicken legs as you can tell from my front squat weight and me only doing 315 for 5 for regular squat, what would 275 for 5 on deadlift equate out to for a max about? They were pretty easy but they were done at the end of my workout and I was beat from military presses and squatting.

comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Deadlift max: about 315.
    I've honestly never front squatted a day in my life.

Strong just got Stronger 7399martyn's Avatar
    7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    learn to front squat, elbows high, make a shelf with your front delts.
    Powerlifter at PTC Performance Training Centre

661 squat, 385 bench, 705 deadlift, 1752lb total.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVx1ANJc7lc

Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Collinbeloin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by comps View Post
    Deadlift max: about 315.
    I've honestly never front squatted a day in my life.
    Thanks, Im going to max deadlift soon i think to actually see where its at I havent done maxes in months.
    And for front squats they kill my shoulders and chest, if I cant figure out what to fix what should I swap them out for on my B day for legs since A day i do back squats.

7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    show us your form, most likely your position is off.

Originally Posted by 7399martyn View Post
    show us your form, most likely your position is off.

Ill get a video on tomorrow, ill just hop in and record a set then continue with my A day workout. Are there any tips for front squatting like I know back squat has certain techniques I was wondering what was different about the front squat. You said drive your elbows up anything else? Should it be resting along your upper chest too along with your delts?

front squat; weight on the heels, chest up, elbows up.

it doesnt rest on upper chest, it rests on that sweet spot on the front delts.

Originally Posted by 7399martyn View Post
    front squat; weight on the heels, chest up, elbows up.

it doesnt rest on upper chest, it rests on that sweet spot on the front delts.
    Alright ill try that i guess i wasnt resting it on that sweet spot haha, It had alot of pressure on the very front of my delts and upper chest thanks man.

OP here, delivering the video I said id do today of front squat. I think my form looks good and if you cant tell, the bar is resting on the most comfortable spot i could find on my delts, right before the muscle so its resting basically between the muscle and the end of my collar bone. It is also resting across the top of my chest. Is that where it should be held and is there anything i need to fix with the squat?
    Done with 185 because thats what was making my shoulders hurt before and it was a little sore again doing it today but not as bad as yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6BpFqSsKs0
    Last edited by Collinbeloin; 02-01-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: fixed the link*

is it actually hurting your shoulders?

form looks pretty good.

Yeah and I dont know why, I have done them in the past like a few months ago and stopped for a while just from change of routine. And now I'm leaving with red, bruise like marks on the very top edge of my delts. Idk if I just have to get used to the weight being there again or what but its like a dull pain.

Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you claim you have chicken legs with a 315 back squat?so modest

Originally Posted by Extuhsee View Post
    you claim you have chicken legs with a 315 back squat?so modest
    haha, I have chicken legs.

Baldwino has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baldwino has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baldwino has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baldwino has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baldwino has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baldwino has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baldwino has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i know i am red, but i have the same problem and i am simply just gonna push through and see if the pains subsides after awhile. I think your delts will become accustomed to the pressure after a few sessions

Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extuhsee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Collinbeloin View Post
    haha, I have chicken legs.
    how many inches? people say my legs are big but they are only 24 inches

Originally Posted by Extuhsee View Post
    how many inches? people say my legs are big but they are only 24 inches
    Just measured...
    Calf at the widest point is about 15 inches.
    Thigh at the widest point near the top is about 25.5 give or take.

Rough measurements done with ruler haha no tape measure on hand, so give or take half an inch.

But the thing is im also 6'2 218 pounds right now

Originally Posted by Collinbeloin View Post
    Just measured...
    Calf at the widest point is about 15 inches.
    Thigh at the widest point near the top is about 25.5 give or take.

Rough measurements done with ruler haha no tape measure on hand, so give or take half an inch.

But the thing is im also 6'2 218 pounds right now
    and im 6'5 190..... 24 inches, again, like you I measured with string and then measured the length of the string so give or take half an inch off 24. When i look at my self in the mirror, my legs look way bigger in proportion to my upper body